Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

unity xxxx ideas?

2»

Re: unity xxxx ideas?

• CLI242009CLI242009 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    My FI & I are doing a lei exchange instead of a unity anything. 

It's a tradition in my family that the child receives a lei when they reach a very important milestone in their life. Graduation & wedding is the usual. 

So FI and I are doing this. We will exchange our leis after we have said our sacramental vows (catholic ceremony). We will say our own personal vows to each other as we exchange leis. 

Our priest will say something before the lei exchange. 

(this is a short version): 

FOR THOSE OF US WHO CALL HAWAII OUR HOME, THE FLOWER LEI IS A SYMBOL OF LOVE. ITS IS ALSO A SYMBOL OF THINGS THAT ARE FRAGILE AND TEMPORAL. A FLOWER LEI WILL LAST A DAY OR TWO AND THEN IT IS GONE. OUR LIVES ARE LIKE THE LEI WITHIN THE SPAN OF ETERNITY; THEREFORE, LIVE WITH TENDER CONSIDERATION FOR EACH OTHER, CONTINUE TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER, AND YOUR MARRIAGE WILL LAST. MAY THE LEIS YOU NOW OFFER EACH OTHER BE RECOGNIZED FOR THE LOVE THAT YOU HAVE FOR ONE ANOTHER.

B & G put the leis on one another and then share an Eskimo or cheek kiss. You don't have to be hawaiian or anything like that to do this. Just a suggestion =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • An awesome unity ceremony idea I have seen at many weddings is where the bride and groom exchange vows of love and loyalty and such, and then they both exchange rings! Which symbolize eternal love because of their circular shape.  How cool is that?!?! I think that's what I'll do for my wedding!!
    Not a "unity" thing, but an idea I saw on Pinterest that I liked was a "first fight box." The couple wrote notes to each other and put them in a box with a bottle of wine and then nailed the box shut at the ceremony. When they have their first fight as a married couple, they open the box, drink the bottle of wine, and read the notes they wrote to each other during a happier time.
    Ok, so although I'm not a personal fan of extra unity ceremony stuff I do love this idea of the box with the letters. I would vote for this. Might do it myself outside of the context of the ceremony.
  • Instead of doing a unity candle...we are doing a rose ceremony. We will present our mothers with roses and letters from us.
  • This is something we've been discussing a lot. We're both pagan and we're trying to find something to incorporate our faith in with the unity ceremony.
  • There is one you can each write a letter on your wedding day about that day and how you felt about each other. You don't read it to anyone even to each other and you lock it away in a box and don't open it unless your going through a hard time in your marriage. When you read it, its suppose to bring you back to your wedding day and why you feel in love and hopefully bring your marriage back together. Then, if you still have not opened it on your 10th anniversary you can and look back together on your big day. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards