Honeymoon Discussions

Need Advice on Caribbean Islands

Hi Gals, anyone have a favorite island or spot in the caribbean? Im trying to plan a Honeymoon that includes two or three islands, Ive been to Jamaica, but I want to do at least a few other islands, Im thinking of Aruba and St Martin. Anyone have a good experience with an all inclusive in the caribbean? He likes golf and poker, I like antiquing/local crafts and art galleries. Thanks for any advice ladies, I appreciate it!

Re: Need Advice on Caribbean Islands

• It's not as easy to island hop in the Caribbean as you might think it is. If you want to island hop, St. Maarten would actually be a good choice because that is one of the few options where you can take a ferry to anguilla or st. Barths. Those islands are quite pricey, though, and not sure what your budget is. Another option is hopping between St. Thomas and St. John. There aren't many all inclusives at those options, though.

• In addition to @jells2dot0 said, the only "efficient" way to island hop is a cruise. There are cruise lines for all budgets (some really are high-end if you have the budget for it) and itineraries for all different tastes.

Most 7-night cruises leaving out of the US will visit 3-4 islands and have 3-4 days sailing.  If you fly to San Juan and sail from there you can get to Aruba and Curacao or you can do a more port intensive itinerary with 6 islands in 7 days.

During the time on the island you can golf, go to an AI on a day pass (or another nice hotel) to enjoy the amenities or you can do more active excursions like zip lining and scuba diving.  Each island has its own personality and things it is known for.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I would also do a cruise if you're looking to explore more than just 1 island. The Oasis Royal Caribbean is awesome and it goes to St. Maarten. Aruba alone is great also. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tulips29 said:
    I would also do a cruise if you're looking to explore more than just 1 island. The Oasis Royal Caribbean is awesome and it goes to St. Maarten. Aruba alone is great also. 
    St. Maarten is a very common cruise stop and just about every cruise line will stop there every other week (most ships alternate between eastern and western Caribbean itineraries). 

I recommend Royal Carribean as a line that is geared towards active people.  Oasis, Allure and Freedom are going to give you the newest gadgets on board (surfing simulators, rock walls, ice skating rinks, etc.).  

I was on the Freedom this summer and it was awesome!
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • 16maybeless16maybeless member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    I like the U.S. and British Virgin Islands both. You can easily hop between them, and St. John is unbelievably beautiful. Just really pristine and for the most part, uncrowded. No cruise ships go there, so it's a lot less busy. I wasn't so fond of St. Thomas.

If you need hotel recommendations, I recommend Caneel Bay on St. John or Scrub Island, BVI.
  • I just got off a cruise that went to 5 ports, St. Marteen, St. Kitts, Antiqua, San Juan, and Royal Caribbean's private island. I highly recommend St. Marteen and St. Kitts. Both are gorgeous and the people are friendly. I have sailed both Royal Caribbean and NCL and was satisfied with both lines. I did not find Royal Caribbean geared more for active people at all. There were really similar and they both had their pluses and minuses. You can message me if you want any more information. 
  • I love Martinique, personally. It's in the southern Caribbean and has a mix of everything I like on an island: gorgeous beaches (both black sand and white), a nice town with shopping and food, lots of local places to grab delicious grub, and lots of hiking around a beautiful volcano. I'm not sure if there are all-inclusives there, but I stayed at the Sofitel once and loved it. Highly recommended! The language of the island is a French/Creole blend, but most people speak a little bit of English too.
  • For our honeymoon we did a cruise on Royal Caribbean. We left from San Juan, Puerto Rico and went to St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. It was a busy 7 night cruise but we loved it! We already booked another cruise for next October as well! The RC one we did was on the Jewel of the Seas.
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
  • Thank you Ladies! Youre awesome
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards