Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Thrifty Buying

So, I found the dress that I absolutely love.  While I can afford it, I would prefer to get it cheaper if possible.  Is it really rude to call a bunch of places that carry my designer and ask how much it would be, or does price not really vary from salon to salon for a specific style?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Thrifty Buying

• Options
    I found that it can vary, but not usually be a crazy amount.  Some won't give you pricing over the phone.  The dress I bought was $995 at one place and $870 at another. 
  • Options
    If you've tried it on and know your size you can always get it used or pre-owned.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    JoeAnne2013JoeAnne2013 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Nothing wrong with calling around! My gown was priced at $2,500.00 at one salon and $1,800.00 at another, both were certified retailers.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Depends on the designer of the gown, but certain retailers certainly mark up gowns more than others. The worst that could happen is the store won't give you pricing over the phone, but what do you have to lose? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mine was, I think $1160 at one place and $1060 at the place I bought it. The place I bought it also allowed me to order it with the top changed for a set extra fee instead of having to order lace and have the top changed by a seamstress, which probably saved me a good bit. 

While there can be price differences on some (mine is a Casablanca, if that helps) I've heard there are several designers that set their prices and you aren't going to find real ones for any less. I've definitely heard that about Maggie Sottero gowns, their price is their price unless you're getting it used. 
  • Options
    Hmmmm.  Thanks for all your help everyone!  My dress is a Mori Lee, but I think the worse that will happen is either they won't tell me over the phone, or it'll be priced the same everywhere (and then altering costs will be the deciding factor).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_thrifty-buying?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:ae7711bf-0bb4-4848-9554-51db3cd6d750Post:2344704e-0b22-4d70-8b19-a1aa2cd47327">Re: Thrifty Buying</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmmmm.  Thanks for all your help everyone!  My dress is a Mori Lee, but I think the worse that will happen is either they won't tell me over the phone, or it'll be priced the same everywhere (and then altering costs will be the deciding factor).
    Posted by princessro07[/QUOTE]

Hi- I'd also recommend that you check online reviews for the store you think you want to purchase your dress from before doing so. For me the final deciding factor was customer service because the last thing I wanted was to go with the store with the cheaper price and then find out that their customer service is horrible.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards