40-Plus Brides

Is it too much?

I'll be 42 for my second wedding.  It is my FI first wedding.  He wants "all the trimmings" big dress, big venue, flowers, large bridal party, etc.   I just feel like I'll be too told for that.  Does any one else feel like that?

Re: Is it too much?

• We are going to be a lot older than 42 when we get married. It's the second for both of us. We are doing a Destination Wedding with all the trimmings. The nice thing about being older is that you get to do what you want and not what other people think is right. If you truly want a small, simple wedding then OK. But, if you want 'all the trimmings' then you are not too old.
  • I was 41 when I married for the 1st time & wanted all the trimmings.  Since it's your FI's 1st time, I can understand why he wants it.  Can you give him as many "trimmings" as you are comfortable with?  Then talk about the points where you differ.  If you are willing to put up with some things, I suspect he'll be willing to forgo others.   Talk to him.   Don't just disregard some aspect because you think you are too old. 
  • Thanks for the advice.   I asked him what "all the trimmings" meant to him.  Get this, photographer, videography, tuxes and a real procession and some flowers.  So I can handle that.  He doesn't want to go over the top, since we are paying for it.  I think we'll be fine.  I think part of my anxiety is that I have to admit 40 is getting close!
  • My reservations about the trimmings stemmed more from the fact that it's my second marriage more than the fact that I'm 43.  We're doing a small wedding, guest list wise, but going all out with the food, booze and muisc.  I think that qualifies as having all the trimmings still and I love what we have planned.  I don't think age has anything do with it all all.  It's a celebration so you should celebrate to the fullest.  Do it big. Do it small.  Just do it the way you want.
  • My own Mom is getting married again at age 82, if she can do it big or small or however she wants it doesn't matter what age you are as long as you are happy and in LOVE!
  • I am 42 and getting married for the second time. When I think about wedding planning, I wonder how much is too much. I don't want to look like I'm trying to fake my age and act like a young bride. I am questioning my attire as I think all this through.
  • I am 43 my Love is 29   i have been married twice before but never had a wedding.. this is his first... so we are doing everything.. i think you should do what makes you happy.. iTS bOTH YOU AND YOUR FI's day... enjoy it

News alert........if you have been married, you had a wedding.  Two, in fact.
  • no i didnt have a wedding... i just signed papers in town hall. no ceremony thank you very much...  
    Then the signing of the papers was your wedding.  Your wedding day is the day in which you are "wed" and become husband and wife.
  • I was 4 month short of 40 when we got married & hubby was 45 at the time. My first & technically his second but his family doesn't count first one due to how short marriage lasted & they don't like ex. They did JOP so he wanted traditional wedding this time. So we did all the bells & whistles (within our budget).
  • You both have to agree on what type of wedding will suit both your dreams.  I am 47 and my fiancee is 50 and we'll be getting married in October, he wanted to get married in jeans in my Moms back yard!  I, of course told him "no" and so we have agreed to have a small wedding of a guest list of 50. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards