Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Macy's vs. Crate & Barrel?

When it comes to price, perks, customer service, selection, making returns/exchanges, etc, etc, which is the better place to register with?

Re: Macy's vs. Crate & Barrel?

• Options
    We actually registered with both.  Macy's is our main registry and Crate and Barrel is smaller.  We liked the perks of both and Crate and Barrel has nice key pieces that will bring everything together.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm registered at Crate & Barrel and Target, but I second @50ShadesofMe , why not register at both?

Anniversary
  • Options
    Both are great.

Macy's has better rewards/perks if you qualify for (and pay off) a Macy's card.  That card gives you 10% back on things you buy and 5% back on things your guests buy from your registry when you enroll in the program.  It goes on for awhile after the wedding also - I think H and I got somewhere around $350 in gift cards.  They took awhile to appear, but they did arrive eventually.

Macy's also advertises a 10% completion discount, but I (and others) got special offers for 20% off through most of the completion discount period.

That said, CB has lower flat rate shipping charges ($5 vs. $8 for Macy's - though Macy's is free over $99).  CB also has better customer service just in the overall "gestalt" of things.  You might run into a grouchy registry person at any given Macy's or somebody who isn't trained well.  Or it might take you 15 minutes to get a human being on the phone when you call Macy's.  But CB is pretty accommodating and their customer service will go out of their way to help you.

In terms of their websites, I like both - they are in my top 2.  I like CB's because it's a sexy interface.  I like Macy's because you can mark things "complete" yourself.   This is nice when you have an aunt who buys you a coffee maker because you "forgot" to register for one (raises hand).  I ended up "registering" for a few items we already had and marking them complete at Macy's to avoid that from happening more than once.  It's also helpful when folks buy you a slightly different model of the thing you registered for, and so it doesn't come off the registry automatically.

Both have a thank you note manager, both ship quickly, and both have excellent packaging.  Neither websites are glitchy.

You can't go wrong with either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it really comes down to the place that has the stuff you like the most. We registered at Crate and Barrel because we really like their dinnerware, glassware and serving pieces, and I found their store and website less overwhelming. The customer service was great both in the store and on the phone. The registry site is really easy to navigate. I loved the Thank You Manager. And we got the 10% completion discount.
  • Options
    I registered at both of these stores- Macy's for some basics and Crate & Barrel for a few pretty platters and specialty kitchen tools.  I had positive experiences at both.  They both offered a 10% completion discount for 6 months after the wedding.  Macy's also has lots of sales so guests were able to buy gifts at a discount, and C&B hosts really nice private registering parties for newly engaged couples (I actually brought my mom lol) with registry advice and a yummy buffet.  Good luck!
  • Options
    We registered at Macy's and we had a really great experience.  The rewards are great and the completion discount is usually doubled to 20%.  I've heard good things about C&B too.  If there's things you want at both store you should just register at both.  We had a smaller registry at BBB in addition to our Macy's registry because that's where the bathroom set we wanted was sold.  Our guests liked having options on where to shop too.
  • Options
    I registered at both and so far I have had no issues with customer service, returns or registry management.

Macy's has the better rewards of the two, and Macy's has more regular sales (I always wait for sales if at all possible to buy at Macy's).
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    H and I registered at both stores and we've had a wonderful time working with them.
  • Options
    I registered with Macy's because they have better sales- in my opinion, that is. You can always do both!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards