would you/do you wear legging to work?

wwyd? 74 votes

no
17% 13 votes
dear Lord in Heaven no
31% 23 votes
yes
4% 3 votes
yes but with long shirts/sweaters/multiple clothing on the top and long enough to cover my butt
47% 35 votes
what are leggings? do you mean those things that children wear?
0% 0 votes

Re: wwyd?

• Options
    I voted for "yes but with long shirts/sweaters/multiple clothing on the top and long enough to cover my butt" but I'm a special snowflake who can wear shorts/tshirts/flip-flops if I wanted to.  I am in a VERY casual working environment with no contact with customers or vendors and VERY laid back bosses.
  • Options
    Yeah, no. I don't wanna get fired.

Plus there's always the covert checkers of panty lines... Aka ass check.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Same here, Flo.  VERY VERY VERRRRRRY casual.  Construction industry.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2013
    My company is also extremely casual.  But people took advantage of it so much that they had to put in our dress code that leggings/jeggings are not allowed unless there is butt coverage.  There's also a lot of other common sense stuff in there. (no offensive shirts, ripped sweats, ON rubber flip flops, don't show your bra straps, wear booty shorts (on short days), etc.)
  • Options
    if I wore them as tights/hose, then I would consider it.
    But I try to be waring clothes that are lab appropriate/bigwig appropriate at a moment's notice, ALWAYS--I don't like dresses @ work for that reason
    (because if we have bigwig donors randomly show up [and they do], I'm expected to be able to give them tours and be uber professional.  On the flip side, if they need someone to cover in a lab, that's me too)
  • Options
    Oh wait.  I picked yes with clothes on top, but meaning like, wear them under a dress or skirt.  Pretending that I'm wearing pants when I'm clearly not, no.  Of course not.
  • Options
    Yes, but of course half my job is just rehearsals, so just about anything goes, including $2 flip flops at the start and end of season. And if I'm cantoring, I'm comfy, because we wear robes, so I just have to worry about nice shoes and putting on my face. Most of the summer I'm in shorts and tees, with pretty sandals. 
  • Options
    I voted no.  I don't think anyone should wear leggings to work unless they work in an exercise/dance related industry.  I'm very judgy wudgy when it comes to leggings.  I detest them.
  • Options
    delujm0delujm0 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013

i wear them only under dresses that completely cover my bum...the dresses have to be work-appropriate length.  So at least mid-thigh (with flats) or right above the knee (with heels).

the small asian lady a few doors down wears them on fridays in lieu of jeans with a normal shirt.  she weighs no more than 85 pounds, but it's still totally weird, and people that don't know her name refer to her as "that lady who wears the leggings all the time."

I work in finance at a large bank.

• Options
    Maybe I have my definitions mixed up.  I thought: Stocking (pantyhose) -> tights ->leggings.  

So leggings are their own clothing that people tend to wear with tunics and/or longish sweaters, shirts, blazers, etc.  Like mid butt to micro-mini length.

Tights are what goes under dresses.
  • Options
    I only ever wear leggings like tights (under dresses or skirts) except at home. I like to wear dresses, even in winter, and legging are warmer than tights.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Maybe I have my definitions mixed up.  I thought: Stocking (pantyhose) -> tights ->leggings.  

So leggings are their own clothing that people tend to wear with tunics and/or longish sweaters, shirts, blazers, etc.  Like mid butt to micro-mini length.

Tights are what goes under dresses.
    This is where I sit.  Leggings fit like tights, but are thick like pants.  I have only worn them out of the house with something long enough to cover my butt.
  • Options
    I said no. But mostly because I feel weird about wearing them. I have a hard time finding some that I would feel comfortable wearing a long shirt with. To me leggings look like tights and I'd feel exposed wearing them.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    nicoleg1982v2nicoleg1982v2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2013
    Leggings are the 2010s answer to stirrup pants, sans stirrups. 

Tights are thick or sweatery pantyhose.

And pantyhose are the epitome of all evil.

Andplusalso, leggings/jeggings are terrible.  The trend needs to stop, asap.  
  • Options

i was going to say something else, but i wouldn't be surprised if someone wore leggings to an office that had a strict business-formal dress code. it happens. in my old office, people wore bedrooom slippers around the office even though we had a dress policy. i would probably wear leggings with  a long sweater or dress and boots.

also, i found these in a catalog i had been reading, yes with faux boxers.

http://www.outblush.com/women/gifts/men/lakeside-collection-knit-jean-lounge-pants-/

• Options
    I have to wear scrubs, but tomorrow, we're having an employee event mid-day, so I'm allowed to wear my civvies. I'm going to wear a dress with leggings because that's pretty much all I wear ever.

• Options
    I wear them under skirts but that's about it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    emmyg65 said:
    I only ever wear leggings like tights (under dresses or skirts) except at home. I like to wear dresses, even in winter, and legging are warmer than tights.
    Same here. Under dresses and skirts but never as pants. I wear them under my pants to give me an extra layer for when it's cold outside. I can never understand how girls walk around wearing ONLY leggings o.O especially when I can clearly tell if you're wearing a thong, bikinis, briefs, etc. Ewwww!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I said "only with enough layers to cover my butt," because I also work in a super-super laid-back industry (news, but I'm behind the scenes). I wear leggings under dresses and skirts in the winter 'cause the studio is always FREEZING, and they're warmer than hose.

I'd never wear them in lieu of pants. They are not pants. They are under-other-clothing attire.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I hate to bad mouth my fellow New Orleanians, but I grew up in CA where things are already pretty casual...but it was usually "appropriate casual". I find what some people wear here in NOLA to be wildly inappropriate...like nothing I would have ever imagined.  I've seen women wear pantyhose with just a slightly long shirt.  Not leggings...not even tights...normal pantyhose, with nothing on over them.  I see pajama pants and bedroom slippers worn in public at least once a month and, when the weather gets a bit chilly, a bathrobe will also be thrown on for good measure.  Really?  You chose to throw a BATHROBE on instead of a coat? WTF? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wear them under dresses.
  • Options
    Personally, I don't wear leggings.  I side-eye them worn as pants (even with a longer top), but they're fine worn with a skirt or casual dress.  Exceptions to side-eyeing: around the house, at the gym/exercizing, or people in perforance arts, such as dancers.
  • Options
          I do, but I telecommute, so could wear my PJs all day if I wanted. I also moonlight as a dancer/choreographer and leggings are pretty much standard. 
  • Options

Since I live in COLD Wisconsin I wear them under my dresses and skirts because they are a little warmer than tights. I also usually wear them with tall boots for extra warmth. :)

• Options
    When I took dance classes in college I pretty much lived in leggings. Jeans were just too much of a hassle but I always made sure to have a shirt, tank or sweater that went over my bottom. If it was really cold out I'd wear sweatpants over them with tall socks and uggs. Super comfy but not attractive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards