Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Talk to Me About Your Cakes Please!

I had my heart set on Vanilla Pastry studio, but then they did something that makes me uncomfortable dealing with them as a business. I hadn't even researched anything else! Talk to me about your cake makers and, if you have the info, I'm looking for a cake maker who will commit to only organic ingredients and who will make a "side car" cake that's gluten free so that nobody has to miss out on wedding cake.

Thanks in advance! I know there are some people on here who are passionate about the women who made their wedding cakes!

Re: Talk to Me About Your Cakes Please!

• We used Bella Christie Bakery in Aspinwall (disclaimer: my sister works there and did our cake). We didn't have any special requests as far as the source of the ingredients, but they will work with you to do organic, gluten free, vegan, peanut-free, etc. cakes. They do a ton of event orders and are used to accommodating dietary restrictions.
  • Check out Whole Foods, bakery. They do regular cake as gluten free but not 'wedding' cake. I have relatives in Pitt. But am from Alabama. That said I know each Whole Foods is a little different. Good luck.
  • Dozen has vegan options so I'm thinking gluten free is easy enough for them to do.

Signature desserts came with our hotel's package.  We were very happy with them.  I'm not sure about GF with them though.

• Just an FYI, Dozen closed in September.

• I are using Signature Desserts …  we did the package that is wedding cake PLUS allll the desserts. So we ordered a gluten free cake as one of our dessert options.   But I cannot speak to Organic ingredients.  

• I'm using someone that works out of their home.  Great cakes, homemade, very personal and extremely affordable.  I had problems with these "wedding cake vendors" getting back to me, returning calls and stuff, so I decided to think outside the box and ask around.  We are getting the cake we want, flavor we want and the personal attention we want.  Good luck!
  • I also am going with someone that works out of their home.  She does great work, is very afforadable for what she is giving/doing for me, and her cakes are awesome!  Since we are going with a "cut cake" and cupcakes, she said that we can do whatever flavor cupcakes we would like and we can also do filled cupcakes for no extra charge.  I really couldn't beat it since one of the other places I was looking was going to charge quite a bit extra for the filled/different flavored cupcakes.  Good luck in your search. :o)

• What did Vanilla Pastry Studio do?
    I like the place.. but I don't want to give my business to a company that isn't ethical.

I second Patti's. Love it.
  • I'm using Spinola's Bakery. Lovvve her and her cakes. She's out of Murrysville. Her prices are really reasonable too.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • It looks like we're going with Patti's! Thanks for all the feedback ladies! I feel like we're going to get a cake we love that's also very individualized.

bkress426 - I don't want to get hammered on here for political beliefs, so let me just say that I believe that everybody has a right to believe what they want. But Vanilla let their store get used in a commercial for Range Resources and then talked about how proud they were. I'm a pretty staunch anti-fracking advocate, so I didn't want to give them my wedding business after that. 
  • Ah, ok. I totally understand where you're coming from - and for not wanting to get hammered by others. So thanks for the response!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards