Snarky Brides

WTF moment

At Christmas dinner my FI's cousin asked if it was ok to wear jeans to our wedding since it's winter time and will be cold. WTF?! Never mind the fact that our reception is at a historical monument/museum. I could not help but be offended. I personally think she did it as a jab since she doesn't like that we are having a "small" (150 people) wedding compared to hers (350 people) and hers was a big hotel ballroom affair.  

Re: WTF moment

• At Christmas dinner my FI's cousin asked if it was ok to wear jeans to our wedding since it's winter time and will be cold. WTF?! Never mind the fact that our reception is at a historical monument/museum. I could not help but be offended. I personally think she did it as a jab since she doesn't like that we are having a "small" (150 people) wedding compared to hers (350 people) and hers was a big hotel ballroom affair.  
    150 is not even a small wedding. What was your response? I would have told her to wear whatever she felt comfortable in. If she shows up and is an "under dressed fool" that's on her. Sounds like she's an adult, she should be able to figure it out.
  • At Christmas dinner my FI's cousin asked if it was ok to wear jeans to our wedding since it's winter time and will be cold. WTF?! Never mind the fact that our reception is at a historical monument/museum. I could not help but be offended. I personally think she did it as a jab since she doesn't like that we are having a "small" (150 people) wedding compared to hers (350 people) and hers was a big hotel ballroom affair.  
    Unless you know that she meant it as a jab, I guess I  just don't see what there is to be offended about.  Unless she's wearing a t-shirt that has something nasty written on it, I can't see how her clothing attire does anything other than tell people that she apparently doesn't know how to dress herself properly.  
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • tell her A: jcrew has a 30% off sale on their fancy pants, B: bloomingdales sells cashmere pants, C: victorias secret sells sweater dresses, and D: tights are still in fashion. 
  • Ugh, why does she even care what kind of wedding you have? She had HER day, she needs to let you have yours!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• tell her to wear whatever she wants. like PP said, if she's underdressed, that's on her, not you!

Highly doubt she'd show up in jeans if her wedding was a big to do in a ballroom. I'm pretty confident some of FI's townie friends will show up in jeans to mine because that's the norm in his area. but again, it won't change how awesome my wedding is :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It was definitely a jab, she made a few other comments that night about how she just didnt like how different our wedding is (We are having a cocktail reception with different hot hor d ourves stations throughout the museum, and a dance floor set up in the main lobby, since our ceremony starts at 7 pm). I just said to her "Well it's a wedding and I will be wearing a wedding dress so I guess it's up to you on what you decide to wear to the wedding." I emphasized wedding a few times lol. I by no means think that my wedding is small, she however does feel that way. She was fortunate enough to be able to have a legitimate luxury wedding. I guess we will have to see what she shows up wearing...I am hoping its a full on snowmobiling suit LOL
  • I would tell her she can arrive in a space suit if that will make her comfortable and frankly whatever she wears is a reflection of her pettiness not you
  • ElcaB said:
    It's too bad they only make jeans and don't have any other pant options available. 

YES! Maybe she could wear a full suit made out of denim...don't they call that a redneck tuxedo? That would be perfect in my neck of the woods!
  • Like everyone else said tell her to wear what she is comfortable wearing. There will probably be people in jeans at my wedding and I'm ok with that. It's going to be really casual and I want people to be comfortable.
  • It was definitely a jab, she made a few other comments that night about how she just didnt like how different our wedding is (We are having a cocktail reception with different hot hor d ourves stations throughout the museum, and a dance floor set up in the main lobby, since our ceremony starts at 7 pm). I just said to her "Well it's a wedding and I will be wearing a wedding dress so I guess it's up to you on what you decide to wear to the wedding." I emphasized wedding a few times lol. I by no means think that my wedding is small, she however does feel that way. She was fortunate enough to be able to have a legitimate luxury wedding. I guess we will have to see what she shows up wearing...I am hoping its a full on snowmobiling suit LOL
    Ew.  How rude.  Some people just suck like that!  If she shows up in a snowmobiling suit, please share pictures!  
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
    150 isn't small.

I was annoyed when I saw DH's aunt walk into our ceremony (from the pictures) with a sweat suit on. Mortified that she came to our wedding dressed like that. 

You should have told her "If you wanna look classless, by all means"

Sorry but even if your wedding is in a BARN next to the animals, you dress nicely. Jeans are never nice.
  • She sounds awful. All around.
  • PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    Went to a wedding of a family member long ago and some of the guests wore jeans. They were side eyed a bit but all anyone remembers now is how everyone had a good time.

If someone wears jeans it's really on them. They will have no affect on how people judge you since they are grown adults and dress themselves before leaving the house...let her be a Bitter Betty AW and wear jeans all she wants.
  • Jennja22 said:
    That's a WTF moment, indeed! What kind of person thinks it's OK to wear jeans to a wedding? I just don't get it. Even if it was the most casual of weddings, I'd never dream of showing up in jeans. 
    And 150 isn't small. 
    I went to a friend's wedding recently and we were asked to wear jeans.  She wanted it to be casual & comfortable.  At first, I thought "OMG I cannot wear JEANS to a wedding!" but in my head I was envisioning a room full of jeans, hoodies & sneakers.  We ended up wearing our "fancy" jeans so they were as dressed up as possible.  It was fine, not uncomfortable at all.  
    I would be so annoyed by this.  The B&G can't tell their guests what to wear, and making a "casual" request doesn't fix that rudeness.  I have friends who NEVER wear jeans-- in fact, I think I only wear them once a week.  I would have no idea how to wear them to a wedding.  I can decide for myself what's comfortable, no need for the bride to do that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Jennja22 said:
    That's a WTF moment, indeed! What kind of person thinks it's OK to wear jeans to a wedding? I just don't get it. Even if it was the most casual of weddings, I'd never dream of showing up in jeans. 
    And 150 isn't small. 
    I went to a friend's wedding recently and we were asked to wear jeans.  She wanted it to be casual & comfortable.  At first, I thought "OMG I cannot wear JEANS to a wedding!" but in my head I was envisioning a room full of jeans, hoodies & sneakers.  We ended up wearing our "fancy" jeans so they were as dressed up as possible.  It was fine, not uncomfortable at all.  
    I would be so annoyed by this.  The B&G can't tell their guests what to wear, and making a "casual" request doesn't fix that rudeness.  I have friends who NEVER wear jeans-- in fact, I think I only wear them once a week.  I would have no idea how to wear them to a wedding.  I can decide for myself what's comfortable, no need for the bride to do that!
    The opposite happened at my mom's wedding... my dad's whole side of the family wore jeans. My mom wasn't thrilled. But then, they emailed out invitations instead of printing them, so they didn't exactly set a precedent for a formal event.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards