Not Engaged Yet

Lessons from 2013...

Well girls, 2013 is finally wrapping up.  I don't know about all of you, but I, for one, am looking forward to a new year.  So, in the spirit of the new year, it's survey time, bitches!

1)  What 3 things have you learned about life in 2013?

2)  What 3 things have you learned about yourself in 2013?

3)  Best moment of 2013?

4)  Worst moment of 2013?

5)  How has your relationship evolved in 2013?  If you're not in a relationship, how have your feelings about relationships evolved?

6)  Favorite mottos that relate to your life in 2013?

7)  If you could make a 2013 soundtrack of your life, what songs would be in it?

8)  What new things are you excited for in 2014?

9)  What are your New Year's Resolutions, and what are you going to do to accomplish those goals?

10)  Tell me about your favorite New Year's kiss.

Re: Lessons from 2013...

• 1)  What 3 things have you learned about life in 2013? 
    Growing up isn't that scary. I can do the whole "real world" thing! 
    You figure out quickly who your true friends are, especially post graduation.
    Bills are annoying.

I am a good driver, although somewhat nervous sometimes.
    I am extremely compassionate and loyal to the friends that reciprocate.
    I was ready to be out of school.

3)  Best moment of 2013?
    Tie between getting engaged and college graduation!

Finding out that some of the people I thought were super close to me had hated me for three years.

5)  How has your relationship evolved in 2013?  If you're not in a relationship, how have your feelings about relationships evolved?
    We finally figured it out this year. After so long of being friends and on/off, we settled down, got down to business and found love.

Live confidently in the direction of your dreams. -Thoreau I believe?

7)  If you could make a 2013 soundtrack of your life, what songs would be in it?
    Roar by Katy Perry
    Unconditionally- Also Katy Perry
    Don't Stop Believing- Journey

Moving in with FI, possibly a new job if I need to relocate

9)  What are your New Year's Resolutions, and what are you going to do to accomplish those goals?
    Get to the gym (you know, your typical resolution)
    Use my planner
    Cut down my car insurance bill

This year will be my first. <3

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    Yay, good idea!

-"Good enough" are not words that should describe my relationship.
    -It's not selfish to take time for yourself.
    -Anything worth doing is going to be hard.

-I'm kind of a pushover...
    -But I'm stronger than I have ever thought...
    -And I deserve all the good things I'm working for.

3)  Best moment of 2013? The accomplishments I've had in nursing school so far, and lots of little experiences at my job. Collectively, a few "best moments" have confirmed for me that I'm going in the right direction as far as school/my career, and that feels so good after spending a lot of time without really being sure of where I'm going.

4)  Worst moment of 2013? Breaking up with C, and the aftermath.

5)  How has your relationship evolved in 2013?  If you're not in a relationship, how have your feelings about relationships evolved? Hm. I would say that my feelings toward relationships right now are overall pretty positive. I'm realizing that the most important relationship I have is the one with myself, and I'm really starting to pay attention to that and nurture it so I can finally feel like I'm really "me" again. I want someone to love me for who I am instead of how I fit so well into his life, so I want to start being that person ASAP. As far as romantic relationships, I feel good that I know I can do the work to sustain one, even when things are unbelievably tough, and I look forward to meeting someone who is more on the same page in life as I am (once I figure out what page I'm on, that is).

6)  Favorite mottos that relate to your life in 2013? Not really sure what's meant by motto, but I definitely think the phrase, "If you're going through hell, keep going," applies! This was a horrible year, but I've gotten through it because I know that better days are coming as a direct result of the blood, sweat, and tears I put in now.

7)  If you could make a 2013 soundtrack of your life, what songs would be in it? LOL. Lots of break-up and angsty songs. Leona Lewis could probably throw down all the songs I would need for that album.

8)  What new things are you excited for in 2014? Graduating nursing school, passing boards, and getting a big-girl job! Moving the hellllllll out of my mom's house. Reconnecting with myself and all the friends I've not had as much time for recently. Perhaps meeting a good-looking fellow and falling madly in love with him? 0:)

9)  What are your New Year's Resolutions, and what are you going to do to accomplish those goals? So, my goals are as follows: stop eating so much fast food, and eat healthier, smaller portions at home. Continue my streak of straight B's in nursing school. Teach Maggie to be awesome at walking on a leash and other such doggie tasks. Learn to say "no" when I need to and start taking better care of my emotional and mental health in general. ETA: I forgot: Get more financially savvy. Save MUCH more than I have in years past.

10)  Tell me about your favorite New Year's kiss. Haha. So, every New Year's kiss I've had was with C, and somewhere between three and four years of dating we didn't even stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve, so...nothing particularly memorable. *Sigh*

• If you have a broken relationship in your life, and you've genuinely given your all to try to fix it, and it still does not return the emotional investment you've put into it, it's time to walk away.  No matter how close you once were.
    • A positive attitude can, and will change your life.
    • It's important to take stock of all of the amazing things that you have going on in your life.  It's important to give thanks for them and to focus on the positivity they bring to your life.

• I was sort of a negative, spoiled, arrogant, entitled brat for a while there.  I really believed that I could get a job NO PROBLEM after I left my last job.  I felt special.  So special that I could leave my last job with nothing else lined up.  Not smart.
    • I have a natural tendency to not worry about money.  At all.  It's how I was raised.  I always thought, "It's just money.  I can always make more."  Easy to say if you have money.  Not smart, or responsible, when you don't.  I've learned to be way more cognizant of this tendency…and before I buy things, I ask myself, "Do I NEED this, or do I just WANT it?"
    • I allowed myself to get sucked into a lot of my family drama.  I let it consume me for SO long.  There's been some pretty major family drama recently…and although I am aware of it, I have actively avoided it.  I don't need more drama or stress in my life, and I've learned that being involved in it IS a choice.
    3)  Best moment of 2013?

Getting my new job in Chicago.

I have a few.  Marathon Monday in Boston.  The day I was confined to my apartment in Boston when Djohar Tsarnaev was on the loose.  In the weeks following getting fired in Chicago…the depression was bad for a while there.

DH and I have been through a lot this year.  Unemployment.  Financial issues.  Terrorist attack on our city.  A cross country move.  New jobs.  New city.  New apartment.  Family issues.  Through and through, we've had good times.  We've had bad times.  He's always been there for me though.  He still makes me laugh and smile.  He still makes my life better.  Our relationship has progressed through all of these changes and challenges.  He's great.

• Not my circus, not my monkeys.
    • You can't live a positive life with a negative mind.
    • Don't let a bad day trick you into believing you have a bad life.
    • When you're thankful for what you have, you will always get more.

"Take This Job and Shove It" - Dead Kennedys
    So What - P!nk
    "Only Time" - Enya
    "Mad World” - Gary Jules Version
    "Fados" - Amalia
    "Moving on Up"
    "Unwritten" - Natasha Bedingfield
    "Roar" -Katy Perry

Starting my new volunteer job at my local animal shelter.  Getting to know Chicago better.

1.  Get more incorporated into Chicago.
    2.  Lose weight.
    3.  Stop biting my fingernails.

Probably my first New Year's kiss with DH.  It was just a really good kiss.  :)
  • 1)  What 3 things have you learned about life in 2013? Finding a balance between work, school, and personal life is so important, There will always be people who are jerks but you just have to grit your teeth and deal with it, and good friends are hard to come by

2)  What 3 things have you learned about yourself in 2013? I need to figure out a way to deal with my anxiety, I need to stand up for myself and what I want, I gained more confidence this year

3)  Best moment of 2013? BF's graduation

4)  Worst moment of 2013? The day where I almost broke my foot and ended up in crutches, my car broke down, and I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork last minute so I wouldn't have to pay an extra $6000 for tuition. There was a lot of crying that day.

5)  How has your relationship evolved in 2013?  If you're not in a relationship, how have your feelings about relationships evolved? There hasn't really been any big evolution in our relationship but when I listen to my friends who are also in serious, long-term relationship talk about all the fights and issues they have it made me really appreciate that BF and I have moved past the rough time we were having a couple years ago.

6)  Favorite mottos that relate to your life in 2013? I don't know...

7)  If you could make a 2013 soundtrack of your life, what songs would be in it? Hmm...maybe Under Pressure by Queen

8)  What new things are you excited for in 2014? I'm really excited to graduate and be done with school! I'm also really excited to get engaged and married! I'm hoping for a lot of pretty big changed in 2014.

9)  What are your New Year's Resolutions, and what are you going to do to accomplish those goals? My New Year's Resolution is to take a couple classes at the gym to keep me more accountable for going to the gym. My goal is to lose 40 - 50 lbs.

10)  Tell me about your favorite New Year's kiss. I only have on New Year's kiss. It's nothing exciting. BF and I were hanging out at his apartment with friends and when it was midnight we had a quick kiss.

• 1)  What 3 things have you learned about life in 2013?

Sometimes it really is just better to let things go and let the universe take over.

2)  What 3 things have you learned about yourself in 2013?

I'm entertaining! ;) No really though...that I try to do too much all the time. I knew this about myself before, but I'm reminded each year. BUT this year, I learned it's ok to not feel like I have to do everything. I can stop and take care of myself, and the world will NOT fall apart.

3)  Best moment of 2013?

Finding out that after trying for a long time and 2 lost angels, that we were finally expecting again. And then each time hearing the heartbeat and knowing that Baby Narwhal was ok and still kicking...those have been the best moments.

4)  Worst moment of 2013?

Early stages of pregnancy when we thought we were losing this baby, too.

Trying to reach out to my old BFF, after she flipped when I lost baby #2, and having her turn me down was crushing. I'm still devastated about it. I wish she was in our lives. I miss her, but how many times can I reach out?

5)  How has your relationship evolved in 2013?  If you're not in a relationship, how have your feelings about relationships evolved?

I guess it has evolved to where I a little more dependent on SO than I was before. This year has brought new challenges with our situation and he's stepped up each time to help me out. We also are learning that with so many sad moments in recent years, that it's really really important to enjoy the small silly moments in life. So, we try to be silly and loving with each other every chance we get.

6)  Favorite mottos that relate to your life in 2013?

I don't know that I have a favorite motto, per se, but like I said in question #1: giving shit up to the universe.

7)  If you could make a 2013 soundtrack of your life, what songs would be in it?

Oh man...a lot of Arcade Fire, some 80s music, What Does the Fox Say, Mumford and Sons...good good music. Oh and a poop ton of Sigur Ros.

8)  What new things are you excited for in 2014?

• January 10th!!!! I can't wait to see some of my favorite people!
    • Late Feb/Early March. I can't wait to meet Baby Narwhal and kiss him endlessly.
    • Spring time...el Senor and I are finally so close to be approved for a VA loan, we can taste it! We're hoping to start house hunting within the next 4 months!
    • Seeing Bean take on the role of big brother. He is so good with little ones, it'll be nice to see him with his own younger sibling.

9)  What are your New Year's Resolutions, and what are you going to do to accomplish those goals?

I ain't got shit in this department.

10)  Tell me about your favorite New Year's kiss.

First one with el Senor was pretty special. I'm hoping he shaves his damn beard and mustache before next week. No seriously, he looks like a freaking terrorist with his crazy facial hair and I HATE that his mustache goes up my nose when we kiss.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• @beanbot2002, I'm sorry to hear your friend is being a twatwaffle.  Heed the advice I listed above:  If you have a broken relationship in your life, and you've genuinely given your all to try to fix it, and it still does not return the emotional investment you've put into it, it's time to walk away.  No matter how close you once were.

Like you said, there's only so many times you can reach out.  It's best to emotionally invest in people that invest in you.  Believe me, you're special enough to be invested in.
  • minskat30minskat30 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013

1) What 3 things have you learned about life in 2013?

A lot of people in my career, even people you've known your entire career, will stab you in the back if they need to.

Life is too short to waste on people who don't love you completely.

You can't live life not taking risks/making plans because you aren't sure of the outcome.

2) What 3 things have you learned about yourself in 2013?

I'm a lot stronger than most people think I am.

I'm not alone...H is truly my teammate for life.

I have to love myself and take care of myself like I take care of others.

3) Best moment of 2013?

Getting married to H.

4) Worst moment of 2013?
      Loosing my Dad, especially right before the wedding as it gave me no grieving time.

5) How has your relationship evolved in 2013? If you're not in a relationship, how have your feelings about relationships evolved?
      It has been a rough year for H and I with my Dad dying, my family in turmoil, my job situation, H's job situation and getting married.  I think if we can survive this year, we can damn well survive just about anything.  I feel safe and like H and I will thrive in our relationship as it continues to grow.

6) Favorite mottos that relate to your life in 2013?
      Chin up.

7) If you could make a 2013 soundtrack of your life, what songs would be in it?

Roar by Katy Perry.

8) What new things are you excited for in 2014?
      So much...a more peaceful year, growing with H and (God willing) maybe trying to start for a family.

9) What are your New Year's Resolutions, and what are you going to do to accomplish those goals?
      Loose weight.  I've gained too much post wedding but let myself use my stressful job/life as an excuse.  I'm putting my health first this year...even if that means other things have to suffer like cooking every night, dishes in the sink for a day or two or responding to every email within 10 minutes.

10) Tell me about your favorite New Year's kiss. 
    It is going to be this one as our first New Year's kiss as a married couple.  I have such high hopes for this year, both H and I just feel it is going to be a great year.

ETA for grammer.
  • @loves2shop4shoes Yeah, I pretty much gave it up. I'm sad, because I would love for her to be here and a part of this awesome thing. But I can't force her. I even apologized for getting upset  with her when she flipped shit on me because I was distraught over losing baby #2. I know that wasn't a good idea to apologize for my genuine feelings...but I was really trying to mend bridges...I guess it just means this one was meant to burn.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

Life's too short to sweat the dumb shit
    Caffeine in the morning and wine in the evening makes life so much better
    Not everyone is nice

I needed to grow some bigger balls (I totally did too)
    The people who I thought were my friends in the beginning of the year, I realized only used me for help with their classes or props in their weddings
    I need to love myself more (not in THAT way, gosh!)

3)  Best moment of 2013?
    Getting engaged!

Oh, converting from one system to another at my job.

Well, we got engaged so there's that. I've learned to let shit go and if he wants to clean the house, just let him. Our relationship got stronger just for the fact that after living together for a year and then some, we haven't killed each other.

YOLO! Just kidding, I can't think of anything.

I use the term "sink or swim" a lot at work so I'll stick with that one.

I can't think of anything right now. Probably a lot of Beyonce and house music.

Getting married, a honeymoon, summer.

1) Save $$ for wedding, honeymoon and other fun shit
    2) Go to the gym more often
    3) Eat healthier

Probably my first NYE kiss with my FI :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
    How to be happy
    How important it is to please myself and not others
    Everything happens for a reason.

How independent I am
    How strong I am.
    That putting myself first and standing up for myself was the best thing I could've done for me.

3)  Best moment of 2013?
    Getting engaged

Being hurt by someone I thought cared for me.

At the beginning of 2013 were just friends,  but within a couple weeks became more. We dated, started a relationship, moved in together, and got engaged. Now we're planning a wedding. Its changed a lot over the past year and I couldn't be more happy with the way things are.

"Bad things happen, so good things can come together."

Idk...really awesome, high energetic songs, like Dropkick Murphey.

OUR WEDDING!

I know its a cliche, but lose weight. I really have to...I have a wedding dress to fit into. Also, my goal is to make sure that through all this hectic wedding planning, that FI and me maintain a strong relationship and not let the stresses get to us.

That would be last year's...my first kiss with FI that changed everything.
    Anniversary

-Friendships aren't always over forever when you think they are, sometimes they just need a little time to be repaired.
    -You need to take care of yourself first if you want to be the best friend, sister, or partner you can be.
    -Don't take any day for granted.

-The world won't end just because I quit my job.
    -I re-learned that I love being creative and that having an artistic outlet makes me happy.
    -I'm brave and resilient.

3)  Best moment of 2013?
    When FI asked me to marry him - forget 2013, it was the best moment of my life!

Ugh, that moment was several weeks long of working at that terrible job 6-7 days a week, 12-15 hours per day, before I decided to end the misery and quit before it killed my soul.

This year was just, comfortable. We've both been so happy with our life, apartment, pup, hobbies, and social life together. We don't have any drama, and had a wonderful year. For the first year or so of my relationship with FI, I thought it was too good to be true, but after 3 years together, I can safely say that I believe a relationship SHOULD be easy most of the time. That's how you know it's good.

A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what ships were built for.

Stubborn Love - The Lumineers, Your Hand in Mine - Explosions in the Sky, Seventeen - Youth Lagoon

Expanding my Etsy Shop, meeting a bunch of NEY ladies, and planning a wedding!

I am determined to lose 10lbs before even trying on any wedding dresses, and 5 more before getting married. I highly doubt we'll be getting married before the end of 2014, so I have plenty of time to make this happen slowly and healthily. FI and I both want to get to the gym at least once a week, and exercise more at home too. We're going to buy some weights and take the time to plan out meals in advance.

My first NYE with FI. We had been together for 11 months at that point, and had just recently moved in together. Our lives had changed SO MUCH in the past year, and we found ourselves at an awesome party at a friend-of-a-friend's gorgeous apartment. He kissed me and said "You're the love of my life" :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2013
    1. the best things in life are worth the wait
    2. Home buying sucks
    3. life can really be trying

patience can be hard but it pays off in the end
    I can be real in the moment emotional good and bad
    compromise to make someone else happy too is actually more satisfying that getting your way

3)  Best moment of 2013?
    3/20/13 getting engaged

the 9 months I spent hating my job

We have to work together to plan major life events, home buying, home decorating wedding planning. We've had to work closer on budget and financials and things more about we than me.

It was worth the wait ( for the proposal & for our amazing home)

not sure

6/14/14 and being married
    i want to eat better and work out way more often than I am now.  

not sure...

Anniversary

• 1) What 3 things have you learned about life in 2013? A. That job hunting is hard and to not let yourself get your hopes up until you have an offer in hand. B. That I never want to be a wedding planner. C. Patience and kindness are very good things to possess and use frequently. It's not worth getting worked up. 2) What 3 things have you learned about yourself in 2013? A. I really really loved being a SAHF (stay at home fiancé) for two months. B. I like to do things on my own and have a hard time delegating. C. I maybe developing car sickness when I sit in the back of cars instead of the front. 3) Best moment of 2013? Getting married to the man of my dreams! 4) Worst moment of 2013? Having family in the hospital. 5) How has your relationship evolved in 2013? If you're not in a relationship, how have your feelings about relationships evolved? We'll I'd say it has evolved a lot since we got engaged and married within the same year. We are definitely a lot stronger in our faith and we enjoy learning the new things marriage brings into our lives. 6) Favorite mottos that relate to your life in 2013? Don't worry be happy? Lol idk 7) If you could make a 2013 soundtrack of your life, what songs would be in it? "We got us" by cannan smith 8) What new things are you excited for in 2014? Hopefully buying a house and maybe getting a puppy dog 9) What are your New Year's Resolutions, and what are you going to do to accomplish those goals? Paying off some student loans and saving saving saving 10) Tell me about your favorite New Year's kiss. Hah well I didn't get my first one until last year and it was my favorite because it was with my husband. I think I kissed a guy on New Years in college that I didn't know but it wasn't at midnight.
  • Ewe bad post. I'm on my H's I-pad

- that what seems like the best thing in the world, may not be so several months later
    - being patient can get you a long way
    - it's so okay to cry. whenever and where ever. 

- I'm a lot more independent than I think I am
    - My family is made up of my close friends.
    - I love to travel more than I thought I did

3)  Best moment of 2013?

- Getting married and honeymooning in NYC and Boston, minus the bombing, West, TX plant explosion, and manhunt/lockdown.

- My dad passing away. 
    - runner up: H's uncle being murdered by his aunt

- We've established that we speak different languages from each other and how to apply that to our disagreements. 

- It's okay to cry.
    - Grief is healthy and shouldn't be avoided
    H's favorite:
    - Fuck 'em.

Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman
    This I Promise You by N*SYNC
    Some Nights by FUN.
    Carry On by FUN.
    One More Day by The Cast of Les Miserables
    Same Love by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Feat. Mary Lambert

God, I'm just ready for this hell of a year to be put behind me. I know that there were some really incredibly awesome things that happened, but this whole year was under this could of grief and pain. 

Get a new job. 

The only one I can remember is the one H and I shared right after we told each other we loved each other for the first time. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • 1)  What 3 things have you learned about life in 2013? Honestly, probably nothing I didn't already know going in. 2013 has been a "holding pattern" kind of year for me.

2)  What 3 things have you learned about yourself in 2013? Not much there either. I swear, I'm observant, but when my world's not changing, it's hard to learn things about yourself or the world. It's the same world I looked at last year, I'm the same person I was last year, and that might not necessarily be a bad thing.

3)  Best moment of 2013? My advisor telling me there was a very high probability I could find a job in my field in my town. I want to put roots down here.

4)  Worst moment of 2013? Guess there wasn't a single worst moment.

5)  How has your relationship evolved in 2013?  If you're not in a relationship, how have your feelings about relationships evolved? Ugh. Communication skills have been poor lately. I think BF's grandmother will get us through this rough patch as she knows him better than I do, or at least knows and understands why on earth he's acting this way, and is willing to share. Now I have to find ways to talk to her that BF won't know about. Call me crazy, but I think it would bother him, even though I'm just trying to suss out information he can't or won't give me.

6)  Favorite mottos that relate to your life in 2013? None really.

7)  If you could make a 2013 soundtrack of your life, what songs would be in it? Can I just use the sound of a head repeatedly whacking into a desk? 2013 was frustrating on so many levels.

8)  What new things are you excited for in 2014? Getting a new job. Getting out of my shitty apartment. Getting back on track with BF.

9)  What are your New Year's Resolutions, and what are you going to do to accomplish those goals? I resolved many years ago to not make resolutions. It's worked out well.

10)  Tell me about your favorite New Year's kiss. I've had New Year's kisses, but I don't find them special. Maybe I'm not romatic enough. I don't know.
  • @loves2shop4shoes Yeah, I pretty much gave it up. I'm sad, because I would love for her to be here and a part of this awesome thing. But I can't force her. I even apologized for getting upset  with her when she flipped shit on me because I was distraught over losing baby #2. I know that wasn't a good idea to apologize for my genuine feelings...but I was really trying to mend bridges...I guess it just means this one was meant to burn.
    Some bridges are better off burned.

I'm so sorry your friend flipped shit on YOU because you were grieving. I'm sure she was very special to you, and it may hurt more to know that she wasn't the person you thought she was. 

@minksat30 - you and I had a lot of shitty things in common. Are you back from India? How was it?

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
    -Friendships aren't always over forever when you think they are, sometimes they just need a little time to be repaired.
    -You need to take care of yourself first if you want to be the best friend, sister, or partner you can be.
    -Don't take any day for granted.

The bolded: that was my biggest life lesson in 2012!

• Kait said:

Growing up isn't that scary. I can do the whole "real world" thing! 
    You figure out quickly who your true friends are, especially post graduation.
    Bills are annoying.

I'm with you sister, bills suck! That goes along with the real world thing, but I guess if our parents and everyone else in the world can do it, we can too. Enjoy your first new year's kiss!
    Life's too short to be worried all the time. Most of the things I'm worried about won't  matter later anyway
    People pleasing is not worth it, and not possible
    It is so fulfilling to do something for others, even when it means you have to make a sacrifice

I am very sympathetic, almost to a fault
    I really like hard alcohol
    Roommates are not my thing

3)  Best moment of 2013?
    Raising money for St. Baldrick's and shaving my head for my friend's brother. He passed away the day before the event but I was so glad he got to see how many people really supported him.

Getting evicted from my apartment while paying 2 rents... grumble grumble

A lot happened in a year. We defined our intentions with each other and it made it easier to set specific goals for our relationship. We learned how to cope with being in school and stressed out all the time without it effecting our relationship so much.

Life goes on. 
    I am nothing without love (1 Cor. 13)
    I don't know the key to success but the key to failure is trying to please everybody (Bill Cosby)

Chai Tea Latte by Angel Taylor
    Imagine Me by Kirk Franklin
    Woman's Worth by Maxwell
    Divine Romance by Phil Wickham

Graduate and (hopefully) start grad school
    Move far, far away from Colorado

Have a steady budget that I actually stick to it by being organized and using professional things like excel
    Pay off my credit card
    Eat healthier by making time in my schedule to eat
    Build valuable relationships with good friends by not being afraid to go out all the time

My BF and I spent 3 weeks in China in December of 2011. We were on a band tour (of course, we're nerds) playing at the grand opening of this awesome 5 star hotel and kissed under fireworks by a lake in China. That was my first new year's kiss.
  • audrewuh said:
    @loves2shop4shoes Yeah, I pretty much gave it up. I'm sad, because I would love for her to be here and a part of this awesome thing. But I can't force her. I even apologized for getting upset  with her when she flipped shit on me because I was distraught over losing baby #2. I know that wasn't a good idea to apologize for my genuine feelings...but I was really trying to mend bridges...I guess it just means this one was meant to burn.
    Some bridges are better off burned.

I'm so sorry your friend flipped shit on YOU because you were grieving. I'm sure she was very special to you, and it may hurt more to know that she wasn't the person you thought she was. 

@minksat30 - you and I had a lot of shitty things in common. Are you back from India? How was it?
    I missed this @audrewuh over the weekend.  I am back from India.  It was amazing.  About 100 of H's family came to a reception his family threw for us (super sweet) to celebrate our marriage.  Everyone was so welcoming.  India is a different world altogether but H's family makes the trip well worth while.
    It sucks sometimes, but suck it up because the world moves on.
    Sometimes you need to be selfish to be healthy and it's okay to put yourself first.
    Hard work pays off.

I'm a bit more off in the head than I thought
    I'm actually capable of being motivated.
    I'm more alone than I thought I was.

3)  Best moment of 2013?
    Getting promoted.

A coworker/friend's suicide.

Our relationship has become more realistic and adult.  We talk things out more instead of letting them build up and explode.  We also talk about things that might happen in the future, like getting married and kids.

Shit happens.

I can't pick a reasonable amount of songs to go with my life this year.

Moving forward with my promotion, going back to school, and going on a vacation hopefully.

To get in better shape. Not to necessarily lose weight, but just to get healthier.

10)  Tell me about your favorite New Year's kiss
    I don't really have one.  Not one that stands out anyway.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    I'm on the self care band wagon, sometimes the best choice you can make for your family is to focus on yourself!
    Time really does move faster the older you get.
    Opportunities, relationships, jobs etc. may not always be there right when you want them, but they are always close at hand.

I am great at making excuses, but that isn't serving me well in accomplishing goals or improving my health.
    On a related note, I can give great advice, but stink at following my own advice.
    I have finally come to terms with a diagnosis of depression and am taking steps to manage it.

3)  Best moment of 2013?
    Seeing my daughter's first short film.  It has been such a joy to watch her enthusiasm and dedication develop this year!

The emotional pit I fell into after being laid off.  After plateauing in therapy, I politely confronted my therapist asking about my diagnosis.  At first I was in denial.  Then, I did what I always do when I want to argue, I researched.  In the process, I came to accept that this has been plaguing me since adolescence and that, with proper treatment and self care, I might actually be able to feel better than I have in years.

5)  How has your relationship evolved in 2013?
    With everything we have been through this year, it has been a testimony to how supportive my partner is, and how well we can get each other through tough times.

I'm not much of a motto person, but a concept that keeps arising is to be "good enough."  You don't have to be perfect, or even exceptional at everything, just make an effort and be "good enough."

Arcade Fire: Reflektor
    William Onyeabor: Good Name
    The Knife: Full of Fire

It looks like we are going to be able to move forward with our scaled back wedding plans, so, yeah, getting married!

Read 50 books - try to average about 30-40 pages per day.
    Write at least 15 minutes every day - find a good time of day and fit it in, it's only 15 minutes!
    Exercise at least 15 minutes every day (baby steps) - do more Dance Central with A, and Walk Away the Pounds has always been a good starting point for me.

I can't think of a memorable one, but maybe that will be another resolution, to make my next New Year kiss memorable!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards