Not Engaged Yet

Your prediction was wrong.....

I didn't get engaged in 2014 - it happened on Christmas Eve!!!!

Here's the story….

So, I've been hoping for a Xmas proposal since our first Christmas together, and I figured if it was ever going to happen - it would happen THIS Christmas. However, by the time it was Christmas Eve, I was 99% sure it wasn't happening right now for a variety of logical reasons. I was not in a great mood all day, because I was beating myself up over such unnecessary wishful thinking. I also wasn't feeling great and had a ton of cooking and baking to do. BF told me he was still waiting for two of my presents to be delivered, and he kept going outside to check the mail. He kept going outside and coming back in to check (turns out, the ring got delivered ON Xmas eve, and BF actually chased down two different UPS trucks to find it, but that's another story). Finally, one was delivered to our mailbox. He told me I probably would get the other gift late. He went out to buy me one more thing, and came back right before we had to get ready to go to the movies. Poor BF, he was probably on the verge of having a panic attack and was trying to figure out what the next ideal time to propose would be if he didn't get the ring in time.

We went to see American Hustle at Alamo Drafthouse (I think it was good, but honestly, we were drinking beer throughout the whole thing and I had hardly eaten that day, so I was bit drunk for the first half). We also got food there because the wings I was going to make for dinner had smelled a little off. As we were driving home, he put on the song "Your Hand in Mine" by Explosions in the Sky, which we both really like. I thought it was a little strange that he wanted to listen to a pretty, 8-minute long instrumental song instead of talking about the movie (like we usually do), but I figured it was Xmas Eve, so maybe he was just trying to be romantic for my sake. I had my head resting on his shoulder the whole drive home :-) . When we got home, I asked "Is it pajama time yet?" (It's always pajama time in our home) and he said "I don't think it is yet" which was VERY VERY strange - I totally thought "maybe…" at that point but then HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING. I went on my computer, checked Facebook, let the dog out and in, and then said "Well I don't care what you do, I'm getting changed." I went into the bedroom and put on comfy clothes and mentally kicked myself for trying to read signs into everything he was doing. Then I walked out into the living room.

All of the lights in the apartment were off except for the white Christmas tree lights, and he was standing next to it very stiffly, with a strange look on his face. At that point I think I was 90% sure what was happening. I walked up to him and kissed him and he said "I have something for you." and I totally started bawling. I was pretty much sobbing from the get-go (but trying to hold it in, which resulted in lots of fantastic noises, let me tell you). I just couldn't believe it and kept thinking "Oh my god, THIS is actually HAPPENING, RIGHT NOW, FOR REAL." His eyes were full of tears too. He said a bunch of beautiful things, even though he had to stop and gather himself a few times because he was SO nervous - I think I could HEAR his heart beating! I remember him saying "I love you so much" and "you saved me:" and "I want to marry you and have a family with you", and then he took a big deep breath and reached to the windowsill behind the Christmas tree and pulled out a ring box (my sobbing increased twofold at this point). He got down on one knee and used my full name and asked me to marry him! I said yes twice because I was crying so hard I wasn't sure he heard me the first time!

We had so much fun just talking and snuggling and staring at my ring until 2:30am. We didn't tell ANYONE right away since we were driving out to my mom's house for Xmas the next afternoon. I love how we told my mom, so I'll tell you that too: We bought my mom and stepdad a restaurant gift certificate and movie theater gift card for Xmas. Me and my sisters opened all of our present from our parents right after BF and I arrived there at about 1:30pm (ring was hidden in my bag), finally, my parents opened their presents from us. In the card I handed my mom to open, I wrote "Dear Mom and Dave, We love you so much. Merry Christmas and get ready for a very exciting year! Love, Jenn and your future Son-In-Law" My mom had started to read the card out loud but stopped when she neared the end, and looked up and said "Really?" I nodded, she said "Get out!" and then started screaming and crying and jumped up to hug us, my poor sisters and stepdad didn't know what was going on until my mom said "congratulations!" and then they finally got it and started screaming too! 

That whole 24-hour period was the best of my life. I was so happy to get to be surrounded by my family. We had fun calling FI's family too (he put them on speaker to tell them, and his dad said "I knew you were either going to say engaged or a baby, and I'm happy it's this one!", haha. Anyways, I'm still feeling like this was all a dream, but at least I managed to sleep for a good 8 hours last night (the night it happened, I didn't get more than 3 hours sleep).

I love all you ladies and was so excited to FINALLY have the chance to write it all out for you! xoxoxoxoxo

Wedding Countdown Ticker
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Your prediction was wrong.....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards