Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

What to do with dress AFTER the wedding?

My wedding dress is still hanging in my closet waiting for me to decide what to do with it.  I really wanted to do a trash the dress photo shoot, but my family told me I would regret it.  My husband also had a snow camo vest custom made for the wedding.  I would like to do something really creative with them both instead of putting them in a box but I can't think of anything.  Do you guys have any suggestions?  Thanks! 

Re: What to do with dress AFTER the wedding?

• I'm donating my dress to the Mary Madeline Project - they turn the dresses into burial outfits for stillborn and prematurely born babies who can't find anything small enough to fit them for their funerals.  I have no desire to keep it, and I know dd won't want to wear it.

My mom had a baptismal gown made from the train of her dress.  My sisters and I all wore it, as did our children.  I am looking forward to my grandchildren wearing it as well.

I have no idea what a snow camo vest is, so I can't help you there.  Sorry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • My wedding dress is still hanging in my closet waiting for me to decide what to do with it.  I really wanted to do a trash the dress photo shoot, but my family told me I would regret it.  My husband also had a snow camo vest custom made for the wedding.  I would like to do something really creative with them both instead of putting them in a box but I can't think of anything.  Do you guys have any suggestions?  Thanks! 
    I don't know what to do with mine either. If you want to do trash the dress go for it. Get lots of good pictures. I would even go as far as to keep parts of it, mine has a giant "bling area" that I would totally cut off and keep if I was doing trash the dress. In the mean time it's going to sit in the closet.

Would you want to show it to your kids? Are you that kind of sentimental? Do you have room to store it? Would you get it preserved? Sell it?
    I'm still pondering these questions myself. :)
  • Take a shadow box & use a part of your dress as the background. Use his vest to create a border around the edge. If you by chance saved his boutineere you can include that and if you have any left, a wedding invitation or a photo, or a combo of everything.

• I am going to find a place to donate mine for people who can no afford a dress
  • Mine was my mom's so its off being preserved in case a future generation would like to wear it again.
  • I donated mine to Brides Across America. They help military brides find dresses- due to deployment timelines and monetary issues a lot of young women don't get dream weddings and this organization helps to make it special.
  • I have no idea! You're not alone. Mine is just sitting in the closet. I actually haven't even looked at it since I took it off. I'll probably get it cleaned and then put it back in the closet. I'd like to sell it, but due to my size (00) and location (rural) I feel like it could be challenging.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • I bought mine from Brides Against Breast Cancer and will be donating it back to them after the wedding.

• I would definitely do a trash the dress! they look soooo fun and you get such great romantic pictures that you otherwise cannot get on your wedding day because you have to be so careful! I'm 99% sure that's what I'm going to do... good luck & have fun :)
  • I'm going to sell or donate mine after, not sure which.  I'm not a fan of trash the dress b/c I hate the idea of ruining something that expensive that someone else could use (now reusing i.e. christening gowns is cool, but we're not Catholic).  We might do an add-on photo shoot after the wedding before I sell/donate it to get more photos in more locations, just without ruining the dress.
  • My SIL had her dress cleaned and then eventually had a seamstress turn part of it into her first child's christening gown.
  • I'm not married quite yet, but I couldn't imagine getting rid of my dress, it's so pretty and it's the most expensive piece of clothing I'll ever own! I'm sure I'll keep it for a long time while I figure out what to do with it :)
  • My wedding dress (which was a prom dress and I wasnt attached to) sat in a closet for 2yrs until i threw it away. 
    My renewal dress, i think either I want to keep it for my children (even if they dont wear it, they can use it for their childrens Baptism outfit) OR trash the dress, I havent decided yet. 

Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• I'm not sure what I want to do with my dress either. It's hanging in the closet, needs to be cleaned. I think I want to preserve it, maybe put it in a shadow box...maybe a future family member might want to wear it? Or maybe I should cut it up and have something made from it that I can wear on our anniversary? I think I should at least get it cleaned and preserved until I decide!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So, I know this is wacky, but I am going to wear it again on my first anniversary and go have dinner at a fancy restaurant. I LOVE, LOVE my dress and I can't stand the thought of not wearing it again, lol.

However, after that, I think I am going to try and sell it.  I'm just not sure how possible that will be because I am only 5'0" and wear a plus size.  Plus, sometime during the reception, I got a quarter-size dark purple stain on the dress (argh!) and I'm not sure how easy that will be to get off or lessen.  I think it came from a flower I must have brushed against.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Personally I love the idea of having a seamstress cut it up, perhaps dye it, and make it into an evening dress I can wear again and again.... I'm just not sure if this style of dress will work for that in any way.
  • I really love that idea of donating it to the military wives. My parents had a courthouse wedding and my mom just wore a regular dress. So it would be nice to give back to people in the same situation via my dress, since really I can just imagine that it'll sit in my closet for the rest of my life otherwise.
  •      My family does theatre. My mom is a professional costumer and I act and dance in shows. My dress is going to be a 1930's style evening gown. Since I'm not sentimental, it will probably end up in a show somewhere down the road. At least it will get used again!
  • I had mine cleaned and preserved. All these ideas noted above are good ones. I am not sure what the purpose of me holding on to a dress that I will most likely never wear again but a part of me would like to have it there for someone who may not afford a wedding dress, then I can loan it to them...or if any family member wants to wear it in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards