Outdoor Weddings
Options

Worried about weather

I'm getting married in So Cal, most likely the Santa Monica Mountains (coast side). My preferred date is April 26th of next year. I'm originally from the area but now live in Phoenix. I just looked at the site this weekend and was overwhelmed by fear that it would be too cold. The site has an indoor reception site, which is quelling a lot of my fears, but I can't help but be concerned. Should I look later in spring, or just get little sweaters/shawls for the bridesmaids as a precaution if it ends up being chilly. 

Re: Worried about weather

• Options

When you have an outdoor wedding, ALWAYS have a backup plan for inclimate weather, no matter what the time of year is.  If your venue has an indoor area, talk to them about it's capacity, how quickly they could switch over to it, etc.

You have to worry about the comfort of your guests too, not just the BMs.  Maybe shawls would help them, but what about everyone else?

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I'm not familiar with weather out there, but it sounds pretty risky to me.

Agree with Pele that you need to be concerned with guests comfort as well as BMs. Getting shawls would be a nice thing to do for your BMs if they are in light dresses and they are just a teeny bit chilly, but if the weather is truly chilly or downright cold, you should move everyone indoors.

Have you considered having your ceremony in your reception space as a backup plan? Maybe you could have everyone seated at their tables and squeeze out space for an aisle in the middle. That was our plan B for rain.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Worst case, everything can happen in the indoor space. Not preferred, but it's a legitimate option. I'm not very concerned about rain- it is So Cal after all- I'm most concerned about chill. The average high on April 26 is 67 and average low is 55. I may have too much Phoenix in my blood now, but this sounds downright cold to me. Because it is on the coast, though, even moving into June only affords another three degrees to the average temperature. So it may not be worth moving the date for three degrees. 
  • Options
    Hey!

I stumbled across a company that works with everyone, every budget and every situation. They were amazing for my wedding in Sedona last year. Give Big AZ Promotions Wedding Rentals  a call, they're absolutely amazing!!! I would recommend them to everyone:)

• Options
    Hey!

I stumbled across a company that works with everyone, every budget and every situation. They were amazing for my wedding in Sedona last year. Give Big AZ Promotions Wedding Rentals  a call, they're absolutely amazing!!! I would recommend them to everyone:)

You do realize that Santa Monica is not in Arizona, right?  Also, I have a feeling you're a vendor.

• Options
    SBmini said:
    Worst case, everything can happen in the indoor space. Not preferred, but it's a legitimate option. I'm not very concerned about rain- it is So Cal after all- I'm most concerned about chill. The average high on April 26 is 67 and average low is 55. I may have too much Phoenix in my blood now, but this sounds downright cold to me. Because it is on the coast, though, even moving into June only affords another three degrees to the average temperature. So it may not be worth moving the date for three degrees. 
    As someone from New England, this sounds like absolutely perfect weather to me!  I think the mid to high 60s are the ideal temperature for being outside.  I understand this is probably considered cool weather for the southwest, so it would be nice if you could provide wraps for your BMs.  Personally, I think your guests are adults and can check the weather and decide for themselves if they need to bring a sweater/light jacket/etc. 
  • Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm most concerned about the reception and people being cold. But I think we found a venue that solves the problem- covered patio, heat lamps and an inside lounge that people can go to if they get cold. 
  • Options
    My fiance and I bounced idea back and forth about what we would do if we had an outdoor wedding in October in Michigan (scary thought I know). We came up with the interesting idea to have someone hand out hot apple cider for out guests and have long gowns for our brides maids (so they could hide thin pants underneath) and some shawls I was going to make myself that had matching satin on one side and some kind of thick warm fabric on the other. You can also rent heating fans too. Your biggest concern I think, isn't if it's cold, more so if it rains. Not sure how plausible that is but where I'm from April is a drizzily month.
  • Options
    No. No. No. No. Hot cider does not fix an outdoor wedding in Michigan in October. That is insanity. And what about your guests? Will they all wear long underwear with their dresses?
  • Options
    I would agree with Starmoon.. It has been known to be snowing in October in Michigan... lol. Now what do you guys think of an outdoor wedding in mid-May in Michigan? Could be a chance of rain, yes, but doable?
  • Options
    I'm planning an outdoor wedding and reception for October in Michigan. Everyone knows what the wedding is going to be like that live in this area. It could be cold or warm. Heat lamps and hot cider would be a good idea RikuTsumi
  • Options
    Viczaesar. I am NOT a vendor.
  • Options
    I am picking my date for Disneyworld and was thinking Jan 22 as the family is scattered across Canada and it is a great way to get out of the snow so pretty much any temperature is desirable. Looking around I've discovered it is their rainy season. How rainy? Has anyone been there in Jan? I went in Feb eons ago and it was great weather. Any feedback would be great.
  • Options
    PilotQT said:
    I am picking my date for Disneyworld and was thinking Jan 22 as the family is scattered across Canada and it is a great way to get out of the snow so pretty much any temperature is desirable. Looking around I've discovered it is their rainy season. How rainy? Has anyone been there in Jan? I went in Feb eons ago and it was great weather. Any feedback would be great.
    here you go: http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/vacationclimatology/monthly/USFL0372

January is not the rainy season in Florida, summer is. I'd much rather be in Florida in winter than in summer. It's 86 degrees today with thunderstorms. 
  • Options
    Ok thanks for the quick reply! My parents are coming up this weekend to plan and book the venue.
  • Options
    "May Grey" has been happening more and more in April out here in coastal CA so it's quite possible that it will be overcast that time of year in April. I was at a wedding last year where the couple had a big basket of shawls wrapped up at the guest book table and available to guests to use / take home. It was a nice touch as it was a little chilly but not cold.
  • Options
    Just an advice for brides.I was worried about weather and photos. My photographer said to don't worry about weather. The good photographer will manage to take amazing photos even if it is snowing.
    So make sure you book a good one!
  • Options
    wow get some blood 60 is not cold we walked around today with no jackets for 3 hours in 53 degree weather people. My son refused to zip his sweatshirt. Its all relative to where you are and what type of climate you are used too!!!
  • Options
    wow get some blood 60 is not cold we walked around today with no jackets for 3 hours in 53 degree weather people. My son refused to zip his sweatshirt. Its all relative to where you are and what type of climate you are used too!!!
    Which begs the question... where are you from? One does not simply get used to weather they aren't accustom to in one night. It takes time. And when you live in Phoenix, you don't just get used to 53 degrees. I wear sweaters when it's 90.
  • Options
    I am planning a September wedding in Michigan!  EEEKKK!  This year it was beautiful, next year it could be a foot of snow...it is Michigan!  We are renting heat lamps, and will have the sides on the tent to minimize the evening chill.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm getting married in late September in Minnesota, the short ceremony will be outside and the dessert reception will be in a covered picnic area that has a big wood fireplace that we'll use.  I think having guests aware of the situation is key.  I went to an outside wedding in September in MN a few years ago, and I would've been warm enough if I'd known I'd be outside...I didn't know, so I was cold.  Info is key! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards