Not Engaged Yet

Weekend?

I have a love/hate thing going on with holidays in the middle of the week. On one side...it sucks that I don't get an extended weekend and have to go to work today and tomorrow. But on the other side...it's kind of awesome that 1. Nobody is here in the office and 2. I get a break from work in the middle of the week.

Anyway did everyone have a good weekend? I feel like FI and I got some major things accomplished.

Friday night we met with my BFF and her family for dinner to celebrate our engagement. They gave us a bottle of wine and we had a wonderful time catching up on everyone's holiday doings.

Saturday was venue searching day. Our first stop was a historic home in downtown Roswell where @southernpeach89 had her rehearsal dinner. This was also the first venue FI finally went to with me. Last weekend he was sick and wasn't able to go. Both he and my parents really liked the venue and were ready to sign a contract right then and there but the coordinator/owner encouraged us to sleep on the decision and then get back to her and she'd reserve the date (October 18th) for us in the meantime.

After that we had lunch and took a break because our next appointment wasn't until 3. The next place was about 20 minutes in the opposite direction from my parent's house in historic downtown Duluth. The venue itself was really nice...it offered some unique amenities like a separate small house for the groom and his party to hang out in. The house itself was very pretty and spacious and was much much cheaper to rent than any other venue we had looked at. I think this was because of the location and also because there were train tracks right across the street.

Sunday morning I woke up about 4 am because I was coughing and couldn't fall back asleep. I also couldn't stop going over the two venues in my head. I really liked the first venue but the other one seemed so much cheaper and I was having a hard time coming to a decision. I finally just sat my butt down in my home office and played with spreadsheets until I was able to budget all of the different things out. In the end the difference in cost between the two venues came out to about $1100 after stuff like dress, decor, floral, photographer, everything. I decided that $1100 wasn't huge in the grand scheme of things...especially when I already liked the first venue that much more. So yay! We have a date and a venue! Now we've got something like...9 months and 20 days to plan a wedding! I might be freaking out a little bit.

Re: Weekend?

• I'm back at work today after almost a week off.  I am so exhausted today I hope the work day goes quickly.  FI got sick with a cold on Thursday so we didn't do much over the weekend.  Saturday I went out ran a few errands FI stayed in we were supposed to go register too so I was kinda bummed that didn't happen but it's finally getting done this weekend.  Saturday night we stayed in I cooked and we watched a movie.

Yesterday I had a baby shower for one of my BFF"s. It was fun.  The rest of the day we stayed in watched some football and hockey. 

Yaya @mhollister for picking out a venue and setting a date, the hardest part for us so far was finding a venue.  Hopefully FIis calling limo companies today so we can take care of that stuff. 

Anniversary

• I'm back at work today, unfortunately. I haven't been around in what feels like forever! 

I am tired and hungover. I was out late for the Eagles game and my last text was talking shit to @audrewuh's husband at 12:36.

My parents were up visiting on Friday and Saturday. We were mostly lazy and they took Lucy home with them for a couple weeks and I cried when she left. I miss her so much already. 

Yesterday was football all day. I went with H to his Dolphins bar for that game and then out for my game last night.

Apologies for my scattered thoughts. I blame the Yuengling and Fireball. 

• My weekend was good! Too short though!

Friday night we hung out at home, I worked on a baby blanket for a friend of mine that I need to finish ASAP. Our neighbor came over to play Xbox with FI and they stayed up until like midnight doing that while I watched Breaking Bad in the bedroom.

Saturday I went to the jewelers to get my ring appraised for insurance, but they were going to be on vacation until 1/6/14 so I couldn't part with my ring that long.

Later on, I went to my friend's house and we went to Hobby Lobby to get some WR crap. I ended up picking up my invites which will be super easy to print. Worse-case scenario there's a Kinko's walking distance from my house that can print them for us. There's no inner envelope so I'm kind of worried that I'll get side-eyed from older guests, but I've never judged anyone who's sent me an invite without an inner envelope. Also I got 40% off so score!

We also got stuff for my centerpieces as a mock-up. I haven't put it together yet though. I was all wedding-related stuff out by the end of the afternoon. Oh I bought a card box too, it was a Christmas-related box that was like 70% off so this summer I"ll probably spray paint it and decorate it to match our colors.

After that my friend and I went out to dinner, I think in a way she asked herself to be MOH. Honestly, I have no idea who I'm picking, I"ve been friends with her since we were kids and so far she's been helpful, but she's worried she'll be KTFU by my wedding, so I'm like "okay, yeah, cool story".

We went back to her house and I had to put up with his disgusting comments about EVERYTHING. Like go back to watching Fox News, okay?

Sunday we went grocery shopping and I cleaned the house.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I think I'll take half a day off on Wednesday. The office isn't as quiet as it was last week ...

Friday night we had gaming with some of the members of club who didn't go home for semester break. I was knitting most of the night, but I know they played Munchkin and a couple other board games, pulled out the PS3, I don't know what else. They were having fun, I had company, and all was good (which may or may not have been related to the partial resolution of issues BF and I had beforehand and the resulting aftermath).

Saturday we had a blizzard. Official blizzard, damn cold, lots of wind, but very little new snow. Didn't have to have a lot of new snow to blow, though, and we started the day with ice. Ew.

Sunday we went to my great-aunt's place and celebrated Christmas with her. She got one of the throws I made last summer, and we played pinochle all afternoon. I was able to get out of the games for part of the Packers-Bears game which just broke my heart. I'm 3 games back in picks. I don't know how I'm going to make that up in the postseason ... so it looks like once again I'm paying my mother in family pool. Disgusting. The person who knows the least about football just shouldn't win.
  • I'm so confused by all these random days off. It really doesn't feel like a Monday.

Friday one of my childhood friends and her FI came over and we went out to eat and hung out at my house. I haven't seen the two of them in over two years, so it was really great to catch up while they were in the country. They live in the UK.

Saturday H and I bought loads of clearance Target Christmas decor and hung out with some other friends in the evening.

Sunday was grocery shopping, football depression, and dinner with H's family for some shared bdays.

I'm looking forward to other weird Friday-like day tomorrow, but the Monday-like Thursday will probably suck.

• Happy Monday, ladies.  We had a great weekend here. 

I worked out on Saturday (4 mile walk, a dance-fitness class and walking with the doggie) but of course that led me to think I could drink and eat ALL the things. 

Sunday H and I went for an hour and a half walk as well (and it was freezing here in Chicago so I don't know what we were thinking), watched the Packer/Bear football game and I went to bed early so I'm nice and refreshed today.

Today is quiet here at work and I'm not sure why I'm here if no one else is but since I just got back from vacation I feel guilty not being in the office if you know what I mean. 

• The weekend was great! Friday night, FI and I headed over to his friend's to watch the Christmas Doctor Who special since I had seen it and he hadn't. Got tipsy and just had fun.

Saturday we went to the mall since I still had money from Christmas and wanted to take advantage of the super sales. Got some awesome stuff from American Eagle and Bath and Body. We then went off to our usual diner which resulted in us getting chocolate milkshakes and playing Rock Paper Scissors over which side FI wanted since he wouldn't decide. 

His parents were super sweet and got me a blanket, chocolate oranges, an iron and ironing board for Christmas. I needed the iron so I can go back to quilting!

Sunday we went off to a winery for the last wine tasting of the season. Got super tipsy because we were the only ones there and our taster kept combining different wines together for us to try that were super yummy. We walked out with 9 bottles of different wine!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Happy Monday

Saturday I got up early and volunteered at the horse rescue and the then came home and went and spent Christmas gift cards at the mall.

Sunday we went to Costco and then Safeway and then came home and watched the Seahawks dominate the Rams. NFC WEST BABY!!! :)

Anniversary
  • Hey all! @lmhollister, congratulations on finding a venue, too cool! @swazzle, I feel like you haven't been here in forever. I was like, "...Do we need to to put out an APB?" Lol.

This weekend was really good. My family finally had Christmas on Saturday morning, and it was actually the best Christmas we've had together since I was a little kid. Everybody was just happy and excited to see each other, and I was amazed that it was so nice. Then a friend of mine came over to visit the puppy, and we ended up ordering pizza and attempting to watch The Great Gatsby. It was sooooo boring IMHO, so instead I made him watch a documentary about killer whales with me, which I thought was fascinating and he begrudgingly admitted was pretty cool.

On Sunday I shopped til I dropped. There were a lot of excellent sales at the mall and I had a little extra Christmas money thanks to my parents. I got a sparkly top for NYE, some new brown boots, some tights for this cute sweater dress I have, and two pairs of pants. I swear I went to five different stores and tried on at least twenty pairs of pants, so when I found some that fit right I decided I had better double up. Lol, then I did some grocery shopping, made dinner, and walked Maggie and did some training.

It is tough being back at work today, but I'll be glad for the paycheck. My laptop is falling apart fast, so probably with the rest of my Christmas money I'll be replacing it soon.
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    @Amapola14 - Aw! I was off work all last week and was with family so I didn't really have time to check in! I missed you guys though! Was the documentary you watched called Blackfish?

ETA: YGPM

• Haha @swazzle I figured you were out having a good time :)

Blackfish is on my list of things to watch but I haven't seen it yet. I can't remember what this one was called, but it was about a two year old whale named Luna near who was separated from his pod and sort of adopted the nearby community as his new family. It was very interesting.
  • I got to spend yesterday morning with my friends from elementary school. We're all still in touch, and when we see each other, it doesn't feel like much time has passed at all. It's been YEARS though since we were all together, and it was AWESOME.

The bad news is that I am ridiculously (and very suddenly) sick. I don't think it's the flu (got my flu shot already). Awful congestion and, unfortunately, nausea. My partner just left to go buy stamps for save the dates (!!), get me some cold meds, buy me a monthly T pass for January, and get delicious foods.

I'm super disappointed because I don't feel very well at all, which means I won't have the attention span to watch our TV shows together, and I'm not sure I'll have the capacity to play video games (we're playing through all of the canon Zelda games). BLEH.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @tuarceatha FI was saying the same thing.  We were both disoriented last week, confusing what day it was, and I imagine it will be the same this week.

Our weekend was fairly quiet.  We went book store shopping on Saturday because Half Price Books was having a good sale.  Kiddo got some new novels and manga, and FI got a few good condition albums from Tangerine Dream.  In the evening, we went to a dinner party for some friends who are moving out of town in a few weeks.  The guy is one of FI's close friends and they nerd out on synthesizers and such.  It will be something of a loss.  However, when they get to Chicago, there is talk of flying FI out to film "How To" videos for gear he will be selling out of their studio, so that would be cool!  

Sunday, I had all these epic lounge around the house plans that were cut short by a raging migraine.  I took some medicine which helped the headaches, but left me feeling like I had a day long, low grade panic attack.  That was awesome.  A was supposed to have a sleepover with a friend in the evening, then we got a text at 11:00 that their house lost power.  Mind you it was about -30 with wind chill.  My saint of a FI, even though he had to get up to work early today, went to pick up the girls and we moved the sleepover to our house.  I was waiting at home with hot cocoa for everyone.

• @LivLeighton, the photo of your tattoo isn't working for me.
  • @Livleighton yes, please reload, I'd love to see your tat.
  • ^^^^^^ Dittoing those folks up there, @LivLeighton!
  • edited December 2013
    @Amapola14 - was this killer whale documentary on Netflix?  H goes through Netflix obsessions.  for a while, it was lions.  then killer whales.  right now, he's into watching wrestling (like The Rock, Mankind, etc.)  I started calling him a "roody-poo" (points if anyone gets that!) and I think he fell in love all over again. 

anyway, I think we watched all the killer whale documentaries on Netflix, so I was wondering if that's where the doc you saw was from.

ETA:  I just saw you said it was about Luna, we saw that one!  it was pretty interesting!  I felt bad for the little whale, especially at the end.
  • @livleighton I love it, it's so pretty!!!!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I can see it now! It's beautiful @LivLeighton!

• @cocobellaf, yes it was! Haha, do you and your H have any excellent recommendations for me? I loooooove killer whales and would hate to think I missed a single documentary about them.
  • @Amapola14 - that's really the best one we watched.  there was another one about killer whales and how they hunt, but I don't remember the name.  I'll ask H, though!  have you tried using their Max thing, where you answer questions and it gives you ideas on what to watch?  you might be able to find it that way.
  • @LivLeighton - Seriously beautiful piece of art there! 
  • My weekend was weird and awesome and sad all at the same time. Friday night I was possibly, almost, don't really know what the hell just happened, nearly attacked (?) while walking to my car. Long story short, random weirdo walked out of the woods near parking lot, starting walking towards me, stopped when I turned and looked at him, then when I turned around started walking right at me really fast. I booked it to my car and got the fuck outta there. It was very strange and scare the poop outta me.

After that I dropped my car off to get serviced at the dealership and then my mom took me to dinner since it was just the two of us that night.

Saturday, the dealership calls to say I don't own the car, some russian guy does, more weirdness insues. Then I get a call from my trainer that Bean's boots don't allow for 2 pairs of socks and his feet are freezing, and I took it personally (like maybe she thought I didn't send him prepared). Started crying and woke el Senor up to take me to go get him. Turns out, he outgrew his boots overnight. Like a week ago, they fit with doubled up socks, Saturday, they didn't fit with one pair. Darn kids. So we headed to the tack shop for new boots and new half chaps.

Saturday night I got the horrible call that my BFF's dad passed away after battling a very aggressive brain tumor for a year and a half.

Sunday I went to the National Harbor outlets with Bean, my mom, my brother and brother's GF. I got some seriously cute baby clothes on sale...pics later...and Bean got 2 pairs of shoes.

Sunday evening, el Senor and I drove down to BFFs house to see her and her mom. We ended up hanging out for several hours, laughing about everything and enjoying their 3 boys. Her mom isn't doing so great (not at all suprising considering it had only been 24 hours), but it was really good to see them and hug them both. Mom was very appreciative of us coming down to visit. BFF is moving mom in with her family so we offered to help pack things up at her home in our town and drive them down to where BFF lives (about 30-45 minutes away).

After that I came home and watched/fell asleep to a Tosh.0 'Ladies Night' marathon.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• @LivLeighton - I really love your tattoo! It's really beautiful!

My weekend was alright. BF found out he didn't get a job he interviewed for last Monday and he's really bummed about that. He still hasn't heard back from one he interviewed with 3 weeks ago but is pretty sure since it's been so long he didn't get that one either. He's really stressed and frustrated with the job search right now and feeling really down on himself. Hopefully, a job he discussed with one guy who already interviewed him for something else will come through in February but he's already had a couple of things fall through so I know he isn't super hopefully about that.

Saturday I did a lot of nothing. And Sunday I hung out with my BFF and got to see her new place. It was fun getting to catch up with her. But at the same time I kind of feel like we are growing apart and that makes me sad.

Good News: I finished the first three chapters of my thesis! Yay! I sent them off to my adviser but she is infuriatingly slow getting back to me so who the hell knows when I will get any edits/suggestions back.

This isn't really on the subject of what happened this weekend but is anyone else driven absolutely insane by the sound of other people eating? My family likes to snack a lot and the sound of chewing makes me want to scream. It's not even people chewing with their mouths open just any chewing in general, but especially crunchy things like chips. if I'm eating at the same time, like at a meal, it usually doesn't bother me but just the sound of people eating around me is so infuriating. I know it's not other people's fault but sometimes I have to leave the room because I just can't handle it.

• @bethsmiles, yes. And it even bothers me when I'm eating at the same time or meal. It didn't used to bother me but sometime in the last two years it just pushed into full-blown pet peeve. It irritates me even thinking about it!
  • minskat30minskat30 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2013

@beanbot2002 - Holy crap, that was a busy/crazy weekend.  Your story about the crazy person scared the poop out of me too.  Thank God nothing happened. 

ETA - Spelling.

• bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    @KeptInStitches - I'm glad to know someone else is as annoyed by it as I am! BF's brother is the worst because he always has crunchy foods and eats SUPER loudly. I usually try to just grit my teeth and deal with it but some days I just can't handle it at all! It can put me in a super bad mood all day

ETA: My mom is chewing gum right now and I want to scream!

• @CocoBellaF, I will definitely check it out, I hadn't heard of Max before. My queue is getting embarrassingly short, so I need some new material, lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards