California-Los Angeles

Route 66 Themed Wedding

Hi All!
 I'm a native Californian living in Chicago who is planning a wedding for June 2015 (yes, it's a long, long way out..but that's another story for another day).  We just got engaged and will be planning our wedding in Los Angeles, CA. While I'm from soCal, I've been struggling to find a venue that's right for us- many are too victorian, princessy or resort looking...we want something a wee-bit different.

We're planning a Route 66 wedding in the greater LA area (where Route 66 ends) and love vintage, kitsch and a homegrown atmosphere for a laid back party.  I've looked into Smog Shoppe (http://marvimon.com/smogshoppe) but was looking for other options... any venues stand out to you that's a little less "princess bride" or "traditional" and lending itself to a wedding centered around vintage aesthetics, classic cars, and a laid back or non-traditional vibe?

I keep going in circles...I wouldn't mind a winery but some of them lack the charm I'm looking for...that's probably why I liked Smog Shoppe.  I totally appreciate your help!

Re: Route 66 Themed Wedding

• You can get married at the Peterson Automotive Museum or Union Station. Ramsey's at the Club in Toluca Lake has a sort of supper club vibe..and The Andaz Hotel in WeHo is very swanky and chic..not sure that it's quite the vibe you're looking for, but thought I'd mention it. 
    Hope that helps!

Good luck and happy planning!!!! 
  • Thanks so much RoMy214!  I appreciate the references!!  I am looking into Ace Hotel & Swim Club in Palm Springs and Smog Shoppe... we'll see!  

Those are all great suggestions, thanks!
  • RoMy215RoMy215 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2014
    You're welcome! Since you mentioned Palm Springs--I just went there for the weekend and stayed at the Riviera Hotel. It's very 50's/Rat Pack. Definitely not the "Princess" look. But really cool. I was there for work so I didn't have a chance to do much looking around; but for the time I was there- it looked really cool. The lobby would definitely allow for some really awesome pictures. =)

• Ironically enough, I too am planning a Route 66 themed wedding for June 2015. 6.6 to be exact ;)! Ours will be in KS or MO with the honeymoon driving the route to CA. The auto museum is also a venue consideration for us. I''my also searching for a vintage gown or replica of the time period style.
  • There's the Marconi Auto Museum in Orange County. I think they're located in Tustin and have a lot of vintage cars there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards