Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR breaking up with hairdresser?

So I'm really happy with the work of my hairdresser, my hair looks the best it's ever been. I've gone to him for over a year and I get foil highlights and cuts every 6-8 weeks. My issue is he is very, very gossipy and is constantly talking about other people (mainly people he's hired as the owner of the salon). The final straw for me was during my trial for my wedding, he said he 'had a feeling' that I was pregnant. He even said it to my MOH on my wedding day! As someone who is very careful but also super paranoid about getting pregnant, I was really pissed and think that he was super unprofessional. I have my next two apts scheduled and I'm thinking I want to change but I feel bad. 

My options are...I'm chicken, so call when he's not there, cancel the apts or tell him I think he's behaving inappropriately and continue to have him do my hair.  Weigh in? Am I overreacting?

Re: NWR breaking up with hairdresser?

• Options
    A talented hairdresser is hard to find.  I'd keep him and let him prattle on with his gossip, but not really pay attention.  Good hair > 90 minutes of mindless chatter every 2 months.

I do think you're overreacting to the pregnant comments though.  If it happens again just laugh and tell him he's ridiculous and move on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with @Mandafly84 - a really good hairdresser is not easy to find and nothing in your post would make me want to go through having to find someone new to do my hair.

I do think the pregnancy comment was unprofessional but I'd just brush it off.

• Options
    So I'm really happy with the work of my hairdresser, my hair looks the best it's ever been. I've gone to him for over a year and I get foil highlights and cuts every 6-8 weeks. My issue is he is very, very gossipy and is constantly talking about other people (mainly people he's hired as the owner of the salon). The final straw for me was during my trial for my wedding, he said he 'had a feeling' that I was pregnant. He even said it to my MOH on my wedding day! As someone who is very careful but also super paranoid about getting pregnant, I was really pissed and think that he was super unprofessional. I have my next two apts scheduled and I'm thinking I want to change but I feel bad. 

My options are...I'm chicken, so call when he's not there, cancel the apts or tell him I think he's behaving inappropriately and continue to have him do my hair.  Weigh in? Am I overreacting?
    I'd let it go.  But if the comments continued and I felt they were inappropriate, I'd probably start looking for someone else.  I wouldn't want to deal with that nonsense every month.  And I'd end it by canceling my next appt.  
  • Options
    I guess you're right. I should also mention, even when I'm the first apt of the day, I end up waiting 30+ mins for him to actual start on me, so I guess it's a bunch of little things that have pissed me off for a while. 
  • Options
    I guess you're right. I should also mention, even when I'm the first apt of the day, I end up waiting 30+ mins for him to actual start on me, so I guess it's a bunch of little things that have pissed me off for a while. 
    That would piss me off the most out of what you've posted. I'd definitely bring that up and if there is no change start looking for someone else.

• Options
    My girl is never less than an hour late-I feel your pain.  But she's amazing...and at least I can count on her to be late, so I can plan for it (hey, she's consistent!)  I went somewhere else for an appointment because I was fed up with her lateness...and my hair sucked.  I went back to her, waited 1.5 hours on a weeknight, didn't leave until 11 PM (on a 7PM appt)...but my hair rocks (she also spends a good 1.5 hrs on my hair, so it's worth it when other places pencil me in for 45 min tops, and the assistant ends up drying my hair-with my girl, she does all the blow dry and styling, and taught me a new and amaaazing way to blow dry my hair).

Put up with him, but if he does it again, treat him like any good friend-pull the "hey knock it OFF" with serious eyes, and hopefully he will get the message.  
  • Options
    I would keep him but say something when you have the opportunity. I absolutely agree--finding the right hairdresser can be about as hard as finding the right person to marry, so I wouldn't ditch this person yet.

More specifically, I'd tune out and let him do most of the talking, and ignore most of what he says. If he has a repeat performance similar to the pregnancy comment, something like, "Hey, so, those kinds of comments are not okay with me. I just wanted to let you know that."

The thing is, this guy is not your friend. Part of his profession IS talking with clients, so if he keeps pulling this kind of shit, even after you do say something, then yeah, I'd find someone else.

Also, if you DO decide to break up with him, I would just call when you're able to, and don't be shy about the reason why you're canceling future appointments. "I love the way that you cut and style my hair, which makes it very hard for me to say goodbye! However, I always felt uncomfortable hearing gossip about coworkers/employees, and I also was very unhappy about comments about me made on my wedding day to my bridal party."
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I understand your frustration with that pregnancy comment. We decided to move the wedding date a couple months earlier (still in 2016), and when we told his parents, his mom laughed and asked if I was pregnant. So did my coworker. I laughed it off, but still unnerving.

I'm also real paranoid about getting pregnant and being careful, so I can relate. My FI is even worse. If I have a headache, he always asks if I'm pregnant. Stub a toe? Pregnancy. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Options
    I think you need to leave and make sure he knows WHY you're leaving. 
  • Options
    Kelcita21 said:
    I understand your frustration with that pregnancy comment. We decided to move the wedding date a couple months earlier (still in 2016), and when we told his parents, his mom laughed and asked if I was pregnant. So did my coworker. I laughed it off, but still unnerving.

I'm also real paranoid about getting pregnant and being careful, so I can relate. My FI is even worse. If I have a headache, he always asks if I'm pregnant. Stub a toe? Pregnancy
    Hahah that's funny. I can be super paranoid. Like I want kids, just not right now. 

I know other people have left him for the same reasons, but I can't help but feel bad.
  • Options
    As someone who works in a salon, my suggestion is to call and give your feedback about his behavior to a customer service associate. It's VERY important for stylists--and ESPECIALLY the owner of the salon--to know when they're doing anything that could compromise their relationship with/retention of a client, and thus their business. It's a little easier to talk to an associate, because their job is to take down everything you say and let the owner know; you won't be cut off or interrupted, because they don't really have an interest in the matter, whereas the owner might get defensive.

If you DO decide to leave and want to let him know why, I like phira's phrasing. Again, he deserves to know what he can do to improve his business just as much as you deserve to be comfortable and happy with your stylist. 
  • Options
    As someone who works in a salon, my suggestion is to call and give your feedback about his behavior to a customer service associate. It's VERY important for stylists--and ESPECIALLY the owner of the salon--to know when they're doing anything that could compromise their relationship with/retention of a client, and thus their business. It's a little easier to talk to an associate, because their job is to take down everything you say and let the owner know; you won't be cut off or interrupted, because they don't really have an interest in the matter, whereas the owner might get defensive.

If you DO decide to leave and want to let him know why, I like phira's phrasing. Again, he deserves to know what he can do to improve his business just as much as you deserve to be comfortable and happy with your stylist. 
    Right now, he doesn't have anyone at the desk, hence why he's always late because he's walking out to answer the phone/ring someone up/smoke. Eeek. 
  • Options
    Ugh, that's awful. We are VERY adamant about making sure the stylists/owner are as uninterrupted as possible during the day, because it's really frustrating for their clients not to have their full attention :/ I'm sorry you're dealing with this, it definitely sucks. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards