Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon help..where to even start?!

Our wedding is at the end of May and I have no idea where to go.   Neither of us have been out of the country or even on a really nice vacation like this.    I was originally thinking about Greece, but with only 5 months left before the wedding, and having no clue where to even start with planning, I just don't know!   We are flying out of NY and I would like to stay around $5-6000.   I like beaches and relaxation my fiancée likes sight seeing, culture, food, etc.  so I want somewhere we can relax but also get out and do/see stuff.  I've thought about a cruise, so we can go to a couple locations, but not sure...I hear both people who love them and who hate them.   and I know there is a lot to do on a cruise ship...but it doesn't seem like stuff we can't do anywhere.  I think I'd rather actually being somewhere doing something not just on a boat at sea.   any suggestions?!

Re: Honeymoon help..where to even start?!

• tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    You sound in the same situation as my FI and I except we have more time to plan. So far I have gotten a lot of recommendations for various Caribbean islands. Our budget is same as yours, and I'm finding plenty of options! Punta Cana is a popular choice, many all inclusives and some adult-only... My FI are currently looking in to Antigua as our first choice. You'll also find many varied opinions on Sandals resorts. I've opted against them based on what I've read, FWIW. Grand Cayman and St Lucia have been topping our list too, but leaning more towards Antigua now. Good luck with your search!!! :) ETA spelling
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcnoble said:
    You sound in the same situation as my FI and I except we have more time to plan. So far I have gotten a lot of recommendations for various Caribbean islands. Our budget is same as yours, and I'm finding plenty of options! Punta Cana is a popular choice, many all inclusives and some adult-only... My FI are currently looking in to Antigua as our first choice. You'll also find many varied opinions on Sandals resorts. I've opted against them based on what I've read, FWIW. Grand Cayman and St Lucia have been topping our list too, but leaning more towards Antigua now. Good luck with your search!!! :) ETA spelling
    I was looking at Antigua, and was interested but read that may-june (when we'd be going) is their off season and some things shut down during this time.   I'll check out some of the other places you suggested, thanks!
  • We were in Grand Cayman this past year in May, and there was nothing that was shut down for the off season as far as we could tell. All of the restaurants and tour operators were open for business. Grand Cayman is a popular scuba diving destination, so if that is something you are interested in, then that's something to consider. I did think that the destination was very expensive once we were there, so you will need to take restaurant costs into account when figuring out how much to spend on air/hotel. 

Haven't been to Antigua, but it looks amazing. Super gorgeous from the photos I've seen! I think Antigua has a few all inclusives, so I don't think having it be the off season would have any effect on what you can do if you choose to stay at one of those. 

• I'm clueless when it comes to travel, so all advise is welcome and appreciated!   If we were to choose an all inclusive resort - is it usually easy to get around/off the resorts?  Or more common to just remain at the resort the entire time?   what are some places we could stay all inclusive, but still be able to explore outside of a resort?
  • Most all inclusives have tour operators at the hotel or a specific company they work with for the excursions so that you leave straight from the resort and are brought back to the resort. You can just go to the concierge sometime after you check in and talk about what you are interested in doing, and they will book and arrange everything for you. I think its fairly common to leave the resort for excursions, but usually people will eat the meals at the resort since you have already paid for it, and if you want to eat dinner elsewhere it would be an additional expense, plus the cost of the taxi to get there. 

In Mexico, the Riviera Maya is close to some Mayan ruins and most all inclusives there will do trips to Tulum and to Chichen Itza. There are also cenotes (underwater caves) to snorkel and there are ziplines, if you are into that. 

I dont know a lot about Antigua, but I think there is ziplining there and I'm sure there are snorkelling excursions as well. I dont know much about St. Lucia, but I'm thinking it probably has those too.

Jamaica has waterfalls, ziplining, shopping, cliffs to jump off of into the ocean, snorkelling, etc. Check out Couples Resorts, there are some excursions included in the price for those resorts. They are adult only and seem to get pretty good reviews. 

I think an all inclusive is usually more budget friendly, but not always, as there are some extremely expensive all inclusives out there. 

I think Belize or Costa Rica may work for you, if you are okay with not doing an all inclusive. There are tons of things to do, but beaches as well for relaxation. 

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    Not all cruises are alike.  I was on a Princess Cruises Greek Isle cruise about 8 years ago.  The ship traveled at night while we slept, and the days were spent ashore doing different activities.  I should say that this was one of the most exhausting itineraries ever!  We fell into bed after dinner almost every night, and got up early for the next day of activities.  When we missed one port due to bad weather, we were almost grateful!  This was one of the best cruises ever, and I have been on 16 cruises.  I was so proud of myself when I climbed the stone steps to the Parthenon.  Santorini was fantastic - photography heaven! 
    You should talk to a travel agent.  They can get you the best deals.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Not all cruises are alike.  I was on a Princess Cruises Greek Isle cruise about 8 years ago.  The ship traveled at night while we slept, and the days were spent ashore doing different activities.  I should say that this was one of the most exhausting itineraries ever!  We fell into bed after dinner almost every night, and got up early for the next day of activities.  When we missed one port due to bad weather, we were almost grateful!  This was one of the best cruises ever, and I have been on 16 cruises.  I was so proud of myself when I climbed the stone steps to the Parthenon.  Santorini was fantastic - photography heaven! 
    You should talk to a travel agent.  They can get you the best deals.
    I've been thinking about a Greek cruise, so we can see some of the different islands.
  • MKM2014MKM2014 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2013
    You picked a good time to get married! You should be able to do a lot of the Caribbean or Mexico on your budget :) when we were in Mexico there was plenty to do, we went snorkeling through a cave system and zip lining and toured the ruins and went deep sea fishing. I think you will be able to have more luxury there vs Europe on your budget, but Europe might be doable too especially if you are flying from NYC (the nearest airport to us is a lot smaller so the cost of flights goes up)
  • @cmgragain - have you ever booked through vacationstogo?   I had found another deal on there not too long ago, but never heard of the site - I was linked to it through an email I received from another site, travelzoo.  
  • My regular travel agent works for Vacations to Go.  I have booked at least 6 cruises through him.  PM me and I will give you his contact info.  There are many people working there, and some are better than others.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If you haven't traveled extendively before, I suggest finding a good travel agent in your home town, preferably one with experience in the areas of your interest.  Especially given the short time line before your trip and knowing you haven't done much research yet.  A good agent will be able to work within your budget to get you exactly what you need, or make alternate suggestions if your preferred budget/location don't jive.

• As an aside, if you don't have passports yet. . . . I would work on getting them now, just in case there is a delay.  Also, you pay less if you aren't getting them expedited.
  • @kaos16 -  i have mine, and fiancee is working on his!  
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    Yahoo!  Woot! Woot!  My travel agent just called, and surprise! The upgrade fairy has given us a balcony cabin for our upcoming cruise!  I'm doing the happy dance!
    If you are considering a cruise, you absolutely need a travel agent to negotiate for you!  This is one of the reasons why!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I've been to 36 US states, 24 countries, and 5 continents so I'm a  pretty seasoned traveler in my 29 years. I really highly suggest you go talk to a travel agent. You can tell them what kind of trip you're expecting and they know which island is best for that and which is not. They can also get you better deals and honeymoon packages and make sure everything like airport transfers are included. Trust me, you don't want to show up in a foreign country and say "oh I'll just grab a taxi" and then find out it's a huge pain in the ass and you'd be better off if you had just pre-booked the car service. These small touches make all the difference. 
    As for recommendations- St. Thomas and Barbados are my favorite islands because they are more authentic Caribbean. I can't stand places like Bahamas and Aruba because they are very Americanized...
    Greece and the Greek Islands were probably my 2nd favorite trip ever and definitely would tell anyone to go there. 

• CMGragain said:
    Yahoo!  Woot! Woot!  My travel agent just called, and surprise! The upgrade fairy has given us a balcony cabin for our upcoming cruise!  I'm doing the happy dance!
    If you are considering a cruise, you absolutely need a travel agent to negotiate for you!  This is one of the reasons why!
    awesome!!  where are you going to on this cruise?!  I def think I need to go sit down with a travel agent...it's just too hard for me to figure out on my own, online!
  • jenna8984            thanks!   I've heard such amazing things about Greece.  I def want to stay away from anything too Americanized/touristy...just not my fiancé's thing.   if we are going to go somewhere, I want to actually be able to experience that other culture and that's a huge thing for my fiancé to do.  I would really love to go to Greece and Istanbul, i'm just afraid I've waited too long to start figuring this all out!  not that we have to leave immediately after the wedding.  I think I need to talk to a travel agent asap!   I def would need help with transfers and stuff that I just can't do myself online. 
  • @jenni1221 you're welcome! Also, I like cruises but not for a honeymoon. There are lots of kids and noise, not exactly romantic trying to lie by the pool with the staff screaming on the loud speakers for you to come play pool volleyball. It's also a little rushed because you're only docked at each island from 8am-6pm so if you feel like just saying screw it and sleeping til noon one day, you kind of miss out on one of the islands and that's no fun. Do a cruise at some point in a few years but not honeymoon. 
    If you go to Greece, Athens is amazing all the historic architecture like the Acropolis and fabulous food like grilled octopus and feta cheese. Take a ferry to Mykonos and Santorini for a few days each, those are the best islands. Again I don't recommend a cruise of the Mediterranean because the best part of those islands is their nightlife and you miss out on that having to be back on the ship. But you should be able to do it for the budget you have :) 

• @jenna8984 - thanks for the advice! 
  • I don't want to post my cruise schedule because of internet safety issues.
    European cruises do not have as many kids as Caribbean cruises, unless you choose a line that specializes in European families.  (Costa - not recommended)  I recommend sticking to the cruise lines that cater to Americans.  That is where your travel agent will help.  PM
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards