Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Transportation conundrum.

msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
edited December 2013 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
I can't figure out how to make this work. And, I'm running out of ideas. So, I'm turning here. We are getting married at a destination in May. Our wedding party is staying all over the island. We rented a villa about 2 miles from the venue and we are having the wedding party meet us there before the wedding to knock out the photos. FI really wants a limo for the trip to the venue. There is only one limo on the island and it holds 12 people. That would be the wedding party and us (no dates). This seems weird to me. I guess I assumed that the wedding party would come to the house with their dates, so they'd have to call taxis or hitch a ride with someone else who has a rental car the 2 miles to the venue. Also, that leaves parents and other family members to also find their own way to the venue. This doesn't sit well with me, but FI is really upset that he's always wanted a limo for his wedding (to have a moment that's just us and our closest friends and family) and we won't have one because I require a seat for non-wedding party people. A tour bus rental is an option, but he said that's even worse. I'm not sure why, but maybe because we'd be rolling up to the wedding with half the guests with us. We aren't providing transportation for anyone else. I'm at a loss. Is there anyway to get him his limo and not seem rude to our guests?
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"

Re: Transportation conundrum.

• Options
    You could use the limo for just you and your FI and let your wedding party and guests find their own transportation. 
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    doeydo said:
    You could use the limo for just you and your FI and let your wedding party and guests find their own transportation. 

Ditto. Have the limo for you two and maybe your honor attendants. Rent a few town cars and have drivers for them for everyone else, if you want to provide them with transportation. Or just do you two in the limo and rent a party bus for your bridal party. Your FI is going to have to make a choice here, as he can't have exactly what he wants due to your choice in destinations for your wedding. If he wanted limos for everyone, then that should have been a consideration when you booked everything else. At that point you should have made sure there was the number of limos on the island that you required. Now it's too late.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    Will your WP and dates have to drive to the villa for pictures before the ceremony? If they do, then they are going to need to get their cars to the reception venue so that they can have a way to get back to where they're staying after the wedding. I think you could get the limo for the two of you and maybe talk to your WP about how they would like to handle transportation. Some of them may want to ride with you in the limo and have their SO's drive their cars to the reception venue so they can have them there.

I know any time that I've been in a WP that had a limo my FI has driven separately to the reception venue so that we had a way to get home that night. I don't know how other people feel about that, but we have never cared.
  • Options
    Will your WP and dates have to drive to the villa for pictures before the ceremony? If they do, then they are going to need to get their cars to the reception venue so that they can have a way to get back to where they're staying after the wedding. I think you could get the limo for the two of you and maybe talk to your WP about how they would like to handle transportation. Some of them may want to ride with you in the limo and have their SO's drive their cars to the reception venue so they can have them there.

I know any time that I've been in a WP that had a limo my FI has driven separately to the reception venue so that we had a way to get home that night. I don't know how other people feel about that, but we have never cared.
    Same here.  Neither my DH or I want to hang around while the other gets ready and takes photos if we're not in the party.   We much rather meet up with each other after the ceremony.  And we would have a way to get home and be able to leave when we want.

OP - Are people bringing cars and/or renting cars?  Not sure how remote this island is....
  • Options
    Yes, everyone will need to come to the villa before the wedding for pictures. I don't think many people will have cars. Some people are staying in the rented villa with us, but not everyone. I think many are just planning on relying on taxis. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    My desire to make sure my WP, their dates and family, who took time and money to attend our destination wedding, had transportation would FAR out way my desire for a limo.  Get the tour bus.  

I say that as someone who had a destination wedding and made sure our WP, their dates and other immediate family didn't have to worry about transportation.    We had a blast in ours.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We wouldn't be providing transportation to the villa prior to the wedding for the wedding party. It is simply the 2 mile trip from the villa to the venue.
  • Options
    So, let the guests cab it to the villa, then provide transportation for EVERYONE from villa to venue, then they cab it back to their accomodations. Done. Otherwise guests who drive will still have to get their cars from villa to venue so they can leave at the end of the night, or those at the villa who aren't in the limo/bus are stranded at the villa with no transportation.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    Honestly, sounds like, "I want a limo for our wedding!" is one of those wishes that might not fit in with the rest of the wedding. Maybe the limo can be just for the two of you?
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I think the whole thing is silly and I'd rather get a bus for everyone, but it's part of his "vision", so I'll see what I can do to make it work. :) Maybe I'll just get it for a random night around town.
  • Options
    Another vote for the limo just being the two of you. Or you two and the BM and MOH and their date. Honestly, I have never seen it where the dates get to go with too. We're using antique cars to get from the ceremony to the reception and none of their dates will be with them with the exception of my brothers and their wife/FI since they're all 4 in the wedding.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2013
    Did you not invite their dates to ride with you or simply assume they wouldn't be there? @melbelleup
  • Options

I've never seen dates go in the limo too. I never hang out where the pictures are taken when my FI is in a wedding. I just show up at the ceremony looking pretty. It's nice, I get a couple hours to myself to go to the gym or primp or whatnot. I get myself there somehow. Either I grab a cab or get a lift from someone staying where I am. I'd say keep the limo, just ask your BP if their SOs need any help with transportation, which you would be happy to arrange. You can order them cabs or pair them up with people that rented cars. If some do come to the villa they can all share a cab or ride together. You can offer to pay the cab if you'd like it to be your treat. It's 2 miles. It's not a 2 hour ride.

We also have a 12 person limo and a 10 person BP with a 2 mile (8 minute) trip to the venue from the hotel. For us, we are doing pictures from 3-5 (with travel time since we are doing a second location). The limo will drop us off at the venue around 4:30 for a few more pictures. The limo is then going back to the hotel to pick up my uncles and our BP SOs around 5. Our ceremony starts at 5:30. This may be an option for you. We had a 3 hour minimum on the limo, so it is a great use of that last hour. Just a thought if you want to get your money's worth from that limo.

• Options
    Did you not invite their dates to ride with you or simply assume they wouldn't be there? @melbelleup
    My wedding hasn't happened yet. But, my wedding party consists of my sis in law, brothers (2), my other brother's fiance, my 2nd cousin/friend, my best friend, my fi's best friend and his brother.

His brother and his best friend most likely won't have dates. Nor are we really giving one to his brother since they're coming in town early- I don't think his parents would be willing for him to have a date, but if he asks and they're cool with it- he can.

My brothers will each be driving a car. My best friend and my 2nd cousin both have dates, but neither live in my area (about an hour away) so their dates will have the cars anyways.

My fiance's best friend will be staying at the hotel next to my reception, which offers a free shuttle back to the hotel so no worries for him car wise. Same with his brother (plus, his parents will be there)

The cars won't be staying at the reception though. My brothers will be returning them to my brother's house after we get there and eat. His house is only 5 minutes from the reception place. This way my dad won't be worrying about cars the whole time. We own all 3 cars though, so we don't have to rent anything.

Needless to say, around this area the dates never go with as they need a car to get back home. I don't know how a limo works as I have never seen a limo wedding, which is kind of ironic. My brother though will most likely have a limo since he has 14+ people in his party and can't use the cars.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

FI and I have both been in weddings, and whichever oen of us wasn't in the WP drove themselves to the wedding later on so we'd have a ride home/to the hotel afterwards. I'd never dream of intruding on someone getting their wedding pictures taken. It seems a bit voyeristic to me. I mean, if they wanted ME there, they'd have explicitly invite me, right?

~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards