Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Getting ready at the hotel or salon?

I'm getting quotes from stylists right now. They all want to bring a team of two to do hair and make up for up to 8 people and anticipate that it will take 4-6 hours. That's a long time to just be hanging out in the hotel room. I'm starting to wonder if a salon would be a better option where we can have more people working on us. Thoughts?

Re: Getting ready at the hotel or salon?

• edited December 2013
    For my first wedding, I had my hair done in a salon and then drove to my mom and dad's to get ready. I didn't like that. My hair wasn't big or anything, but I was so worried about ruining it getting in and out of the car. It was a pain. 

This time, I'm having my hair dresser come to the bridal suite at my venue. I prefer it that way. I'll have food and drinks for everyone that will be that bridal suite. 
  • I'm having a mobile team come to the B&B I'll be staying at because it's in a small town (somewhat rural), and the nearest half-decent salon is at least a 30-min drive away. I also second worrying about wrecking my hair in the car or as I get in/out of it. Plus, I like the idea of being able to stay in my pyjamas and robe and not have to get dressed just to go to a salon haha

• I got ready in my hotel room. It was just easier for everyone to be in one place and not have to coordinate car. We stayed in our pajamas and didnt have to worry about getting stuck in traffic on the way to or from the salon. Also, we could enjoy champange the morning of the wedding and not have to worry about driving.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am planning on going to a salon that is less than five minutes from my venue.  It is a LOT cheaper that way (something that I know my bridesmaids will appreciate) and whether we got ready at the salon or the hotel, there was still some kind of car ride involved (we are not having a limo since our ceremony / reception are in the same place).  I think it will be fine as long as we can take two cars and not be super squished.  
  • We went to the salon. It meant having hair and make-up done for 7 people in 3 hours. We had a really accommodating salon that let us bring in food and drinks. We picked a place that was about a mile from the B&B where we were going to get dressed so it wasn't a big deal. 

Can the company you're working with provide 3-4 stylists instead of 2? It seems like that would drastically decrease the time.
    *********************************************************************************

• We went to the salon, I had six women getting their hair down & then myself & I also got my makeup done. They were all done in about 1 hour and I took about 90 minutes due to the makeup. It worked out great too because my mom & aunt were going to one place to get dressed, my niece went back to her parents house to get dresed, my sister who came in from out of town, was able to go back to her hotel to relax & get dressed.

Had we had a stylist come to us, we would have had to probably start at 6:00 AM to be ready for a 1:00 PM wedding

• I'm going to a salon.  It was a lot cheaper than having someone come to us and with a different person doing each of our hair, we were told we should be there around 2 hours max.   
  • I'm having them come to hotel, but my wedding is earlier in the day on a Sunday, so the salon isn't open at that time.  And my salon only charges $50 to come to our hotel, so that's not too bad for the convenience, especially since we will likely be getting started by 6am.  Plus, we only have my hair, 2 BM's hair, and I'm only person getting makeup done.  And we all plan to go somewhat simple with hair, so it shouldn't take too long with 2 people working on us. 

• We're having them come to hotel.  Just easier and less stress day of (no driving, if stylist gets behind at salon..then driving back late, traffic, weather, etc).    I think it will be more relaxing this way but I understand the cost issue.   Have you tried to negotiate?   My makeup person did negotiate on price.  
  • We did salon for 7 women I think it was, I was only one that did makeup. I was done in about 90 minutes (due to makeup) and everyone else was done in 30-60 minutes depending on the style they went with. It was more cost effective and time effective for us. Plus everyone was paying for their own hair (I didn't require hair to be done professional, just offered to make appointments for everyone if they didn't have their own stylist they wanted to go to) so it made it for easier for everyone to pay for their individual services. Some had updo's & others just did a simple blow out & the prices were different for those so it made it easier for each person to pay for the type of style they got instead of paying a per person or per hour rate of a stylist.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards