Attire & Accessories Forum

Possibly stupid dress question...

I know nothing about dresses.

Nothing at all.

There's a particular thing that every dress I like has in common... A thing that any dress that isn't this way immediately gets scrapped... I wonder if this thing has a name?

Basically, I don't like any dress that has a join/seam between the body part and the skirt part... Does that make any sense? Like, the whole thing should be smooth... I don't know how to explain it better, and I don't know how to put pics on from my phone so I can't show you what I mean... If anyone's actually understanding what I mean, please help me? Lol :)

I'd just like to be able to go into salons and say "I'd like a dress in X style" or whatever (X being whichever word you ladies supply).

Thanks in advance :)

Re: Possibly stupid dress question...

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    Do you mean that you don't like seams touching your skin due to the possible discomfort of it?  Or do you mean you don't like visible seams?  
    Edited because I had a reading fail.  I read "skin" instead of "skirt"
  • Sounds like you're describing a sheath type dress?
  • I think you can kind of explain this and the consultant will know what you mean.  I am not sure if there is an actual term for that or not.
  • Okay, let me see if this works...

If the link is right, and I look only at the waistline area of each dress, I like them all except for the last one, because the last one has that "seam".

http://prhvt.me/wedding-dresses/a-line-wedding-dresses.html

I googled sheath dress, they all appear to be very... Figure-hugging...?
    doeydo said:

Do you mean that you don't like seams touching your skin due to the possible discomfort of it?  Or do you mean you don't like visible seams?  
    Edited because I had a reading fail.  I read "skin" instead of "skirt"

Lol :)
    FTR, the visible seam thing isn't far off... But more because I just don't like the look of a "separate" top and bottom (even though I know it's all one).
  • I would say this is a drop-waist style.
  • Just bring in a couple samples photos of what you like and don't like to the salon.  Once you point it out to the sales consultant, she should be able to figure out which dresses could work and which ones you wouldn't like.
  • Oh but that last dress is sooo cute!

• Just tell them you are looking for a dress with no waistline they will know what you mean.

You might want to also try on a-line or empire dresses as these can be a lot more flattering than when the waistline is at your waist. Especially if you have short legs like me ;)
  • Thanks everyone :)

I think that's the best plan, just take some pictures with me and explain what I mean.

Empire dress... Those are the ones with the "waist" up under the boobs...?
  • "Waistlines 
    Basque - Waistline dips below natural waist forming a "V" in the center 
    Dropped - Waistline dips below natural waistline and sits more on hips 
    Empire - High waistline just under bust 
    Princess Cut- Many gowns especially a-lines have no defined waist 
    Natural- Waistline sits between the empire and dropped waistlines."  -
    http://www.bridepower.com/gown-glossary.aspx
  • A dress with princess seams has no differentiation between the top and bottom. It creates a long line look and makes you look taller!
  • Ah-HA!

Princess it is then :)

Thank you very much ladies
  • Hi! I'm a little late but wanted to say that what you're describing is called a "waistline seam". It's the seam between the bodice and the skirt. I am not a fan of that seam either, and PPs are right... when i went shopping I just asked the sales people to stick to dresses without that seam. I'd say more gowns don't have one, and once you start trying on different shaped gowns, you'll learn what silhouette you like best. Good luck and have fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards