Moms and Maids

Offering either hair, makeup, or extra big gift?

It looks like my budget will allow me to spend a little extra on my BMs than I expected (about $50 more). The women I've hired to do my hair and makeup the day of will do each bridesmaid for $60 for each or $120 for both. There is no minimum for either one, so the girls can choose to have hair and/or makeup or not. Neither is required. After talking to my girls it seems like most of them would like to have hair and/or makeup done. I have about a $150 budget I can now spend on each BM. If you were a BM would you prefer that I offer to pay for both and get you a smalller gift, give the option of me paying for either hair or makeup and get medium gifts, or just get a much bigger gift and let you choose if you want to pay for hair or makeup? I was sort of leaning towards giving the option of me paying for either hair or makeup (since it seems everyone wants hair but about 50/50 on makeup) then spending about $90 on gifts (a nice bottle of champagne plus something unique to each girl). Thoughts?

Re: Offering either hair, makeup, or extra big gift?

• I think if everyone wants their hair done then it would be nice to pay for that and get the medium gift. That way you aren't paying for make up for only some of the girls. 
  • In your situation, I'd offer everyone the option of having their hair and makeup done. A smaller, thoughtful gift for each girl is fine. 

• I think that if everyone wants their hair done it would make sense (and be quite thoughtful) to pay for that, then let the girls decide if they want to spring for makeup or not.
  • I agree with PP.  If everyone is getting their hair and make-up done regardless, it would be nice.  I'm in the situation where all but one bridesmaid is opting for the hair and make-up, though, so it would seem weird to pay for the other bridesmaids and then get her a bigger gift.  It makes things complicated if not all are getting hair done. 

• The hair and makeup should not be thought of as part of the gift. So, it's not necessary to compensate a bm who opts not to get her hair and makeup done. One has nothing to with the other. 

• The gifts you give the girls should have nothing to do with your wedding, buy the same thing you would for a birthday or Christmas. If you decide that you would rather use the surplus money on paying for professional hair/make-up then that's fine. But whether they take you up on the offer or not should not affect the size of their gift. This means if one girl decides not to get her hair/make-up done she does not get a larger gift.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • hair and makeup should not be a part of the gift, but me personally love when it is covered by the bride and would rather get my hair done over a big gift ya know?  My mom offered to pay for hair for my bridesmaids and we had a MUA available for them to use, which i think 2 of them got their make up done. 

Anniversary
  • Right, hair and makeup are not going to be part of the "gift" at all. I'm just debating on whether I should offer it, and get smaller gifts. Like one girl likes to snowboard, so do I  cover hair and/or makeup then get her nice mittens (~$50) or do I forgo offering paying for hair and makeup and maybe get her a new pair of snow pants (~$160)? @erinlin25. I'm leaning towards a plan like you had. Hair for all on me, make up optional on them, then get a medium sized gift ~$100 for everyone.

• I like your plan. Tell them you will be picking up the tab for the hair appointment. Let them know the MU artist is available for $XX, if they're interested. IMO, the $50 mittens would still be a generous gift, but if you want to spend $100/ea, that's nice, too. It's the thought that you put in to selecting the gifts that count.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards