Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Nothing catchy is coming to mind for a title..

How outlandish is it for my fiance and I to walk down the aisle together? I'm really torn about having my dad walk me down the aisle, so I really like the idea.. I'm not close with my dad but I don't want to exclude him from the wedding.. any thoughts or input?

Re: Nothing catchy is coming to mind for a title..

• It's fine to do whatever you want--walk with your dad, walk part way with your dad, walk with your FI, walk with someone else, or walk alone.  

We did what's fairly traditional in Jewish weddings.  DH walked in with his parents and stood at the front. I walked in with my parents and DH met us about 1/3 of the way from the front, and then DH and I walked the rest of the way together.
  • We also walked down the aisle together, for the symbolism of both entering our marriage together, on equal footing. I love my dad lots, but having him walk me down the aisle just wasn't right for me. One of my favorite moments from our wedding was the time we spent hiding inside, waiting to open the door and walk into the rest of our lives together.
  • The last wedding I went to the couple walked down the aisle together and I thought it was a great idea! They were also able to share that moment when he first sees her in her dress privately before walking down the aisle which I think is more romantic than with everyone staring at you. 
  • As PPs have stated, you can walk with whomever you want or choose to walk down the aisle alone.  However, I will say as a guest I love seeing the bride walk down the aisle and the expression on the groom's face as he sees her.  
  • It's actually traditional in Catholic ceremonies for the B&G to walk in together.  It became very popular for the FOB to walk the bride in, so Catholic tradition usually gives way to popularity.  But you should walk with who you want, not who anyone else wants you to walk with.
  • monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2014
    Ditto @OliveOilsMom

Honestly, my first choice would have been to walk down the aisle with H.  I love the idea of the bride and groom walking together, and it helps get rid of that notion that the wedding is "the Bride's day".

But I knew my Dad would be upset, and he walked my sister down at her wedding, so I didn't want to hurt his feelings.  

But really, you should walk down with whoever you want.  Parent, Grandparent, best friend, Fiance... or by yourself!  There's no "wrong way".

SaveSave
  • It's your wedding, so you can do what you like. But personally I liked having a few moments where the attention was all on me. Normally I'm not an attention grabbing person, but this was a huge moment, I was dressed up & looking wonderful and then going to be hosting a fun reception later. Also hubby didn't want to do a first look so we saw each other for the first time walking down the isle.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards