Chit Chat
Options

Oh, the irony...

edited January 2014 in Chit Chat
A friend of mine is a bit over-the-top. She's one of those people who T Y P E S words like [this] and *adds* random {characters}.

She started a few years ago doing Insanity and P90X and Beach Body stuff. She's been Instagramming photos of her (clean) E A T S. It go so obnoxious I hid her from my FB newsfeed.

Apparently, she's now starting a blog in which she's going to chronicle her eating habits and give itemised grocery lists and fitness tips and style tips and whatever else.

She's asking people who follow her to post their photos and recipes to IG/FB/Twitter with a specific hashtag.

She spelt the hashtag wrong.

ETA: The word she spelt wrong is the name of her profession.
Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: Oh, the irony...

• Options
    hahahaha! that's funny.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Lmao! That is hilarious.
  • Options
    Lol. That's great!
  • Options
    Hahaha that reminds me of the auto shop near my house: "We Repair Raddiaters"

@HisGirlFriday13 I keep meaning to ask you-- are you from the UK?  I saw you mention central PA but you use British spelling so I'm curious.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    LMFAO, classic!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    No; I was born in the US, but I grew up reading British lit (mom was a lit major) and then I lived in Europe in college.

I actually failed spelling in elementary school because I only knew British/Canadian spellings. I have to think about the way things are spelt in American English and I usually just don't on here.
    Anniversary

• Options
    A girl I went to college with is really into P90X, Shakeology, Beachbody, etc. While I must admit she looks fantastic, she posts sweaty selfies on Facebook every day along with these inane statuses all the time about her lifestyle. It is so annoying.
  • Options
    I know a bunch of powerlifters, and while I admire their dedication (and ridiculously ripped bodies), I get tired of seeing posts of 25 chicken breasts on a BBQ (for one person's dinner!) and pictures of sweaty, steroidy guys in unitards doing pseudo-gay poses because they think it's amusing.

• Options
    edited January 2014

Yeah, I have a friend who shares photos from some kettleball page on a daily basis.  It was so annoying that I had to hide all posts related to it. I mean, really?  Do you really think everyone cares to see photos of half-naked chicks lifting kettleballs?  He also regularly shares photos from some "Men Like Curvy Girls" page (I'm not sure if that is the actual name). Somehow, exercising and "curvy girls" don't seem to go together too well.  Oh, BTW, this is an ex of mine, who is married now and currently in seminary school. 

But, yeah, if I had a friend that were to start posting photos of every meal, I would unfriend them in a heartbeat.  Some people need to realize that most people don't care about every detail of your life.  Sorry.

• Options
    Is spelt a word?  Wouldn't you say spelled? 
  • Options
    @ktjanesmom, 'spelt' (or almost any word that American English ends with -ed) can be ended in 't': learnt, burnt, spoilt, etc.

Since I grew up reading British English, that's the spelling I'm most familiar with, and the one I most typically use.
    Anniversary

• Options
    @ktjanesmom, 'spelt' (or almost any word that American English ends with -ed) can be ended in 't': learnt, burnt, spoilt, etc. Since I grew up reading British English, that's the spelling I'm most familiar with, and the one I most typically use.
    I'm Canadian, so I'm more familiar with that spelling, too. However, I grew up near the border, so I tend to randomly alternate (which annoys the heck out of me because there's no rhyme or reason to it!).

• Options
    I not infrequently do not know the correct spelling in American English. I wrote 'plough' and 'manoeuvre' in a teleprompter the other day. My reporters were not thrilled.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Dislike! That sounds super annoying.

I have a FB friend who constantly posts photos of her working out. Like, "Here I am doing yoga!" and "Trying X workout for the first time!"

It annoys me, but it's also entertaining to think about the process of taking a selfie mid-workout. Like, who's taking the picture? Did this girl seek someone out in her household and force them to photograph her during her workout? How many pics does she have to take before she is satisfied with the shot? 

Girl, how about you spend less time focusing on sharing your workout with the rest of us and spend it working out instead. 
  • Options
    I not infrequently do not know the correct spelling in American English. I wrote 'plough' and 'manoeuvre' in a teleprompter the other day. My reporters were not thrilled.
    I know plough is 'plow' (but I never, ever use the 'w' form), but I never even thought there was another way to spell manoeuvre... Seriously?

The most annoying for me are when people tell me that certain words shouldn't have a 'u' in them (neighbour, glamour), or correct words like 'programme' to 'program'. No. Do you not understand that you just took an existing language and chopped it up to form a variation of it? It's like when French Canadians say that Québécois is 'proper French' ("Je vais au mall." "Où est le car?"). UGH.

• Options
    Anniversary

• Options
    A local floral shop (that I considered using myself) wanted to drum up wedding business. So they put up the following sign "Style down the isle- book your wedding consultation today!" on their huge billboard. It was at least 3 months before either a) someone in their shop realized it was AISLE not ISLE, or b) a possible customer gently broke the news to them. I just got a grin every time I drove past the place.

Recently had to politely explain to an acquaintance that the reason she was likely not getting much response to her free lance document/paper review and editing business was probably due to her mixing up "your" and "you're" in her advertisements and the lack of confidence that instills.
  • Options
    A local floral shop (that I considered using myself) wanted to drum up wedding business. So they put up the following sign "Style down the isle- book your wedding consultation today!" on their huge billboard. It was at least 3 months before either a) someone in their shop realized it was AISLE not ISLE, or b) a possible customer gently broke the news to them. I just got a grin every time I drove past the place.

Recently had to politely explain to an acquaintance that the reason she was likely not getting much response to her free lance document/paper review and editing business was probably due to her mixing up "your" and "you're" in her advertisements and the lack of confidence that instills.
    Yikes! Not going to lie -- I definitely judge people based on spelling/grammar. I'm not saying that I'm perfect... but at least give it the ol' college try. And things like your vs you're should be a given.

• Options
    An online friend is hardcore into Shakeology and Crossfit, and posts pictures of EVERY SINGLE SHAKE and workout to FB. Says it's her way of staying accountable. But, she also posts the same thins to several different fitness accountability pages, blogs, and Shakeology websites. EVERY shake, including the recipe and what special tweak she used to make it taste like whatever she wanted. She even did this on Christmas. I finally messaged her and asked if she was selling the stuff or something (no, but she offered to send me samples and the name of her dealer...I declined). A few minutes later a really passive aggressive post appeared about people who didn't like her posting all that shit were 'haters' and 'jealous of her success' and anyone who didn't like it could kiss her butt. No, we just want you to stop spamming the hell out of our newsfeeds. Why hold yourself accountable to people who really don't give a damn about it? She's safely hidden but I'm holding out for later this year when she's abandoned the whole thing and back to posting pictures of pasta dishes and hanging around the beach.
  • Options
    An online friend is hardcore into Shakeology and Crossfit, and posts pictures of EVERY SINGLE SHAKE and workout to FB. Says it's her way of staying accountable. But, she also posts the same thins to several different fitness accountability pages, blogs, and Shakeology websites. EVERY shake, including the recipe and what special tweak she used to make it taste like whatever she wanted. She even did this on Christmas. I finally messaged her and asked if she was selling the stuff or something (no, but she offered to send me samples and the name of her dealer...I declined). A few minutes later a really passive aggressive post appeared about people who didn't like her posting all that shit were 'haters' and 'jealous of her success' and anyone who didn't like it could kiss her butt. No, we just want you to stop spamming the hell out of our newsfeeds. Why hold yourself accountable to people who really don't give a damn about it? She's safely hidden but I'm holding out for later this year when she's abandoned the whole thing and back to posting pictures of pasta dishes and hanging around the beach.
  • Options
    I hate to say it, but I judge posters on TK for spelling and grammar, too.  I see "isle" a lot on here, loose/loosing vs. lose/losing, among other errors.  Total lack of punctuation and capitalization drives me crazy too.  I get that this is a casual forum, not every typo needs to be corrected.  I'm guilty of comma splices on here, typos, etc.  But we learn correct English to make ourselves understood, not just for high school papers as I've heard several commenters argue in defense of their piss-poor grammar.

And we can't forget the mother of all grammar mistakes:
    Sometimes I feel like a fool because I don't always proofread before I submit something and if I'm on my iPad autocorrect goes crazy. It wouldn't be a big deal if it would correct to the right word. Grammar seems to be a little too hard for autocorrect to handle.
  • Options
    I'd gotten a kick out of a grocery store, who had a spelling mistake on those big signs in the center of each aisle-pop was down the "soft dink" aisle.  I laughed hard over that one, and when it was still there after a couple of weeks, I mentioned it to someone in management.  No one had noticed!
  • Options
    GrrArghGrrArgh member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited January 2014
    The local grocery store bakery had a sign up for almost 3 months that said "free cake writting with purchase." I finally had to say something.
  • Options
    What made this situation crazier was the fact that she was advertising herself as a person who could competently review, edit, and correct these mistakes in the written work of others....sigh.
  • Options

On my way to work, a sign reads "You just past up a great deal on furniture!"

I hate that I literally die going past this business. (See what I did there?)

Also, I have a friend on FaceBook who posts to her many other accts. at once, using multiple hashtags...

In gorgeous Maui the other day, she posted a pic, stating "No words needed"...and followed that with 5 hashtags! SMH

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SenecafSenecaf member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary First Answer
    edited January 2014
    I almost instagrammed a picture of my bodybuilding.com order the other day with the hashtag #suppsarehere. I decided against it for the sake of my followers. Oh in real life you guys would totally hate me! I wear gym clothes (read: leggings) in public and post pics of my kids and clean eats all the time. I admit to being slightly annoying. It has to be better than 18 selfies a day though. Right? Maybe?

I'm super consious of my grammar on here but I don't often get it right. All of my knotting is done via Galaxy S4 and it sucks.

Edit for that grammar stuff
  • Options
    I almost instagrammed a picture of my bodybuilding.com order the other day with the hashtag #suppsarehere. I decided against it for the sake of my followers. Oh in real life you guys would totally hate me! I wear gym clothes (read: leggings) in public and post pics of my kids and clean eats all the time. I admit to being slightly annoying. It has to be better than 18 selfies a day though. Right? Maybe? I'm super consious of my grammar on here but I don't often get it right. All of my knotting is done via Galaxy S4 and it sucks. Edit for that grammar stuff
    I live in Lululemon tights (one guy I work with said that he has only ever seen me in dresses and Lulu pants -- never 'real' pants haha), and I'll occasionally post a food or wine pic, but I don't think that automatically makes you annoying. It's the people who eat, sleep, breathe fitness and insist that their way is the best/only way to be healthy and fit and are constantly trying to remind you of that who are the annoying ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards