African American Weddings

XP: Trunk show

Has anyone ever been to one? Can you tell me what I can expect at one?

Re: XP: Trunk show

• Hi bridey.    :P

A trunk show is an event held by a bridal boutique at which one designer comes to display more of their collection than is available in the salon.   What you wanna do is identify who makes the dresses you're attracted to, see what salon carries them and make an appointment for when that designer is coming.   Advantage - you get to see the other 90 dresses you may have missed and if you order that day with that designer, there's (usually) a discount.   I've been to exactly one - Ines di Santo.  When I say gor, you say geous!  thing is 20% off a cabilliion dollars is still someplace in the trillions so, there's that.   Disadvantage - I can't really think of any but it helps a lot to like shopping. 

You finna find one?  who you like?  tell tell tell!  :)

• edited December 2013

I was going to reply- but wasn't sure. I don't live in a "high" fashioned area like Chicago or NY- When i went to go try on dresses at a store that a friend had recommended to me they just happened to have a "trunk" sale. What it was was like a big vintagy trunk placed in the middle of the store (not a very big store) with a moveable coat rack with dresses hung on it at a discount (which was still too rich for my blood)- were they from the same designer (not sure). I did like one that was on it. it was made from a "different" material than your average satin or lace dresses. can't remember what it was called, sateen maybe? It was a very shiny shimmery soft fabric. very nice. so, that was my experience.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I've always wondered about trunk shows. My experiences at shopping for bridesmaids dresses and tuxedos were vastly different. Thank you @sultryzulu and @footballwife77 for the explanations. 

Sunday, May 18, 2014 - Baltimore, Maryland

"Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever" - Audre Lorde

• merntin love muffins.

Dougie I was wondering if grooms are even encouraged to buy their clothes.  Like there's a tiny market for the rental of wedding dresses but it's almost like an exception to own your tux.  The trunk show thing, I don't think that's a function of volume, more than it is price point.  If we were willing to pay in the 4 and 5 figures for a tux or attendant's dress, I think designers would happily show up to talk us into it.   That's not to say you won't see a trunk show at David's, because not all of them have the designer in attendance but if I was some hoity toity dress sketch guru for a living, I wouldn't chase down the commission on a $500 dress/tux/moh gown.

• Anytime. I just wasn't sure if what I experienced was a true "trunk show". In my mind when i think trunk show, I almost picture a bridal expo of sorts with wine flowing from every which way.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • minsu5minsu5 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014

You're right, @sultryzulu, there is a difference in prices and expectations between tuxes and wedding dresses. Most of the grooms I know bought either a tux or a new suit with the expectation that they will wear it again.  Bride's dresses, on the other hand, is a one-time thing.  I'm still surprised as the high value and culture surrounding the wedding dress. When I visited David's Bridal to find my attendant's dresses, it was surreal.  I did not expect to see so much white (dresses, walls, even the carpet), the raised platform in the dress space (it wasn't a dressing room, that's for sure), and the ringing of the bell when someone "said 'yes' to the dress."  Me and my friends felt intimidated and a bit annoyed (they also didn't have enough plus-size bridesmaids dresses. My girls kept telling me, "I can't wear that. I have boobs!" or my favorite, "Doug, you're not going to make me the frumpy one at the wedding."

In contrast, when I went to my Christopher Schafer Clothier, it was just me, the tailors, and another couple.  Two tailors spent about an hour checking and double checking my measurements.  It was very casual; lots of talking about my wedding plans, my uneven arms, and comparing what fabrics to use.

On a side note, my friend's mother bought her neice in Nigeria a designer bridal dress. After the wedding, her niece started renting the dress to her friends and associates in the village. She has since made up more than twice the value of the dress.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 - Baltimore, Maryland

"Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever" - Audre Lorde

• Thanks Everyone!
  • There was a Pnina trunk show when I went to NYC Still could not get the $10,000 dress I had been drooling over lol Sigh lol
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @ Dougie - there should be more attention paid to other than the bride wear.  I don't know who Christopher Schafer is but honey he sounds fancy schemancy enough to provide some respite from David's.   Speaking of which.  I tried in there, but I just can't.  It's not that it was low brow exactly, I mean I've been to worse, but I'm not for crowds and assembly lines, it was just too damn gowns r' us, at least the one by me was.  And yeah, the plus size "collection"  p'heh.   there are 5 dresses that stop at size 18, if that.

@ cjean - girl good luck!! come back and tell us how you make out.

@ vee - guh?  I see that fitness pal calculator, what you do? is log onto preownedweddingdresses.com.   The pnina I lusted after is $8700 at K's.   One was on preowned in my size and color for $2500.    They've been worn once girl, take a look if you're still in stalker mode.  ;)

• lol... @Sultryzulu i stopped eating when my dad got sick... that kick started the weight loss
    i started working out to keep it off i have gained over the holiday so back to working out this week 

i am done looking for dresses... as much as i loved Pnina maybe when we do a vow renewal i can get that dress 

i am happy with my dress and even more happy its under budget lol 
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards