Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

What are people's opinions on backless wedding dresses?

What are your opinions on backless wedding dresses?

Does it depend on factors like tasteful, elegant, the formality, theme, etc.

I was looking into a dress that I was custom-making from two. But I starting looking for a more fitting dress I might like and it is a style I love instead of all the cost associated to alterations. Would just be interested in opinions.

Thx :)

Best Answer

Answers

• Yeah, the last pic is too much for me. The one I want is low back, but has a lace flower detail covering the bottom and it is draped on the back. I was trying hard to find a dress to match a Old Hollywood theme plus a New Year's Eve party. It is the 1920's Gatsby style to the 1940's Hollywood. I wanted my dress to have a silver screen gown look from the 30's. I think this would work really well. I know it's low but I think it is classy enough to pull off. The train and bow are detachable for ceremony.
  • A couple of pictures
  • The dresses you posted are beautiful
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    I like your dresses.
  • The dress you are thinking of is lovely.  Have you tried it on?
  • I wore a backless dress and felt very glamorous.

• Sexy EmmyG, looks great!

Thanks, I think it is beautiful (Already made ... Lol). No, our Bridal Salons don't carry that designer. Plus, it is an expensive dress which I could never in life ever justify or want too. I am purchasing online, I know most people are weary of some of the sites, but this particular seller I have bought from before and her dresses come out lovely and almost identical. I was going to purchase now and just do a few alterations if needed. So, you don't think people will think it is too low? Want that wow factor but in an elegant way.
  • I love backless dresses! The only time where I think they can be too much is if the fabric ends about a millimeter above your butt crack. Other then that, if you have a rockin' back then why not show that sucker off.

• Ha ha, true. Well, that's why I like the see through lace flower detail. Don't want to be showing that all might fancy plumber's crack! ;)
  • Definitely gives me a reason to try the Brazilian Butt Lift workouts LOL :):):)
  • So Maggie, do u like this one better for 1930's Old Hollywood than the last? The satin and plunging back?
  • The pic you posted above, does that have an illusion back? I see the lace detail so I am wondering if that just falls over your back or is it attached via illusion netting. And I don't think that dress is too low. Especially with the lace. But the one that Doeydo posted last is what I was talking about. I like the ones that hit at or slightly below the waist. But when you start dipping so low that the top of your butt is showing then that is just a bit too much for me.

• Yeah, her last pic was too much for me too and her ... Lol. Never heard that term before. But it is an extra drapped fabric attached. This is the side view pic I have. Is that an illusion back?
  • It looks to be attached to the top of the straps and then down right above the zipper. There must be illusion netting because I can't see much underneath the flower detail either, it has to be attached somehow haha
  • Ahh now I see what is going on. I would call the lace appliqué a semi illusion back because it gives the illusion that it has been painted directly on your skin. The added draped fabric is just a nice detail.

I wasn't sure if the entire back was illusion netting but now that I see it is just some areas that are.

• It is hidden nicely. It was those flower details on the back and sides that really stood out to me. Love illusion and semi-illusion netting! :) Love that the train is just detachable so I don't have to worry about bustling
  • It might be too revealing for a church wedding. 
  • I *personally* think it's a bit much when a dress dips below the small of a woman's back (like, if it's at the small of her back, or JUST shows it off its good, but more gets a side-eye) but this one seems to sit just below and is fine. Any lower and i'd wince a bit.

As long as it fits your whole bum in there, you're good.

I agree, if you are getting married in a church, it may be a bit revealing.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I *personally* think it's a bit much when a dress dips below the small of a woman's back (like, if it's at the small of her back, or JUST shows it off its good, but more gets a side-eye) but this one seems to sit just below and is fine. Any lower and i'd wince a bit.

As long as it fits your whole bum in there, you're good.

I agree, if you are getting married in a church, it may be a bit revealing.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks ladies! No, we aren't religious. We are doing our ceremony and dinner/reception in an Garden atrium in a Hotel. No church for us :) (I definately want my bum in there ;))
  • BrandiNSteve said: Pics I'm pretty much jealous in almost every way of that dress. It is BEAUTIFUL, get that dress if for no other reason than to make me hate you a little ;-) 
  • I think the dress is very chic and sexy. However, I know they look different on different body types, so the dress looks gorgeous, but I can't speak to how it will look on you. I'm built thin, but I'm shorter so they didn't look good on me. I think they can be done up to look very classy.
  • I like all of them but the last one. I would be too worried that if you bent over to pick something up or give someone who is sitting a hug, that your butt crack would be showing. Sorry, no matter how attractive someone is, I don't need to see that at their wedding. Also what if someone accidentially stepped on the back of your dress while dancing (it happened a few times at mine) it pulls on the whole back part of your dress and in the case of the last dress, it would possibly pull it kind of low.
  • Don't hate me a little ... Lol. It is an expensive dress, but I would never pay that. This is $250. And I have bought a previous dress from the same people, and it was identical, beautiful bead work.
  • I have another question ladies...

The fabric on this dress is a Charmeuse Satin. I have been looking at dresses made from that material. I have found some that are more matte finish, almost like a pearl finish (Like my dress above), but then there are the high shine ones, which I'm not as fussy on (It reminds me too much of silk and satin nightgowns) ... What is the difference? Why are they different, is it just in color or is there actually a term for the matte finish one? The pic I included ... The first two are the preferable matte the last two are high shine finish. How can I note the difference?
  • Pic ... Sorry it wouldn't download with msg
  • Pic ... Sorry it wouldn't download with msg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards