Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress help I hate my dress

So I got my dress back in sep my wedding date is 6/14/14 and after buying the dress I whent back to try it on for my grandmother and to my horror I hated it it was too big it will have to be taken in and up it is dimond white and my vail is off white I can't believe the sails lady let me buy it she made me feel so pritty the day I payed for it I don't know what to do now I have to go in for my first fitting soon and I don't know what to tell her it horrible

Best Answer

Answers

• So I got my dress back in sep my wedding date is 6/14/14 and after buying the dress I whent back to try it on for my grandmother and to my horror I hated it it was too big it will have to be taken in and up it is dimond white and my vail is off white I can't believe the sails lady let me buy it she made me feel so pritty the day I payed for it I don't know what to do now I have to go in for my first fitting soon and I don't know what to tell her it horrible
    Whoa - punctuation would be helpful. 

Do you hate the veil or the dress? Or both? Are you upset with the fact that the dress is too big or the design of the dress as a whole?
  • Having to have your dress taken in is pretty normal and not a reason to hate your dress.  Also, you can look for another veil (used or somewhere inexpensive if you don't want to spend a lot) to match this dress.  Is there something else specific you don't like about it?
  • I hate the dress it's too white
    when I tryed it on she never let me out of the dressing room and the lighting was dark so I didn't see that one the vail was almost yellow and two the dress is a bright white
    It is so big on me that I will lose most of the puffy skirt tht I had wanted
  • Well most people have to have their dress altered so I don't know why that is upsetting.  You should be happy that you have to get it taken in.  Some brides are freaked because their dress is too small and they are afraid that there won't be enough fabric to let it out.

And I can guarantee you that no one will notice the difference in the veil color to the dress color.  I had a diamond white dress and I made myself a white veil.  If there was a difference then I couldn't tell.  Unless your veil is a true ivory (like more on the champagne side) then no one will really notice the difference.

And like PDKH said, do you just hate the style of the dress or do you hate the fact that it doesn't fit perfectly (it will once you get alterations done)?  Also, if you really can't get over the fact that the veil doesn't match the dress then try and sell the veil and get a new one or just go veil-less.

• Ok hold on here - let's separate the veil from the dress issue. Veils are much easier to replace/handle. 

Is the dress too white in general? Or just too white because the veil doesn't match it? If the latter is the case, just snag a new veil - that's easily (and more cheaply) done. 

And no, just because the dress is too big doesn't mean you lose the poofiness in the skirt. It means the waist and bust will be taken in to fit your body. Who told you the skirt will not be poofy after it's taken in? The seamstress?
  • I'm upset that the parts of the dress I like I am going to lose that and the color I wanted a very puffy dress
  • Why would you need to lose the puffiness? You can just make it tighter in the bodice but keep it looser on the bottom. Just discuss these things with a seamstress and they can give you an idea on what can be done.
  • The seamstress told me I would lose about 15in of the skirt because I'm 5'1 and the dress is a size 4 I am a size 00 and the dress is so white it's almost blue
  • Who told you you will lose part of the dress?! I can't see that they will have to remove the poof here. It's a modified A line/fit-n-flare. They may have to pull in the seams underneath the poof, but the proportion of poof should remain. Have you even talked to a seamstress yet? What did they say?

So you didn't want a diamond white dress? Did you realize that when you placed the order or did you change your mind now?
  • I didn't order the dress it was off rack the lady told me it was cream white witch clearly it is not I looked at the tag it says diamond
  • When I went back the lady who helped me even said my dress was way too big and I was going to lose a lot of the detail
  • Honestly-no need to fret. The dress is very beautiful. Like PP's have suggested-talk to a seamstress before ruling it out. They can work wonders! As for the veil- that's easy to replace. 

On a side note, why did the sales person not order you a correct size, just curious..?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ok, so you saw the tag and tried the dress on before you bought it, I assume? And you didn't realize it was white white (even though didn't you see the tag)?

So you don't want to wear a diamond white dress? I'm really just trying to understand the issue here. We've got dress color, veil, and poof going on, and I'm confused. If it's veil or poof, I think you have nothing to worry about. Buy a new veil and find a good seamstress.

If it's dress color, you'll either have to get over it (which is a great option - it's a pretty dress!) or you'll have to hurry to go find another dress if you can afford it. You're nearing the 5 month mark, meaning your ordering options are very limited and you'll probably be looking off the rack again.
  • And did the sales lady sell you an ivory veil?  Sounds like it was her mistake, they will probably exchange it for you.
  • She insisted it fit me that even of she ordered it she would order that size
    The next time I was there I talked to the seamstress she was horrified that they had sold me the dress and didn't know how they were going to make it fit with out messing up the dress they also now want me to sew the bra and crinoline into the dress and told me I won't be able to wear it under my dress
  • Okay so what I am gathering is that you bought a way too big dress for your 5'1" frame meaning that the bottom of the dress needs to be chopped so that you aren't tripping over it all night, thus losing most of the detail from that bottom.  Is that correct?

Are you going to be wearing the black belt with the dress?  If so, talk to your seamstress about trying to hem the dress at the waist.  This way you will be able to keep the skirt detail, but you may have a hem line at your waist (or maybe not, I am not a seamstress but I know many lace dresses that need to be hemmed at the waist to keep the nice scalloped edge at the bottom), but that will be easily hidden by the belt.

As for the veil.  Forget about the veil.  Try to sell it on ebay and buy another one.  If you need a less expensive option check out Etsy or Valuveil.com

• To be clear no I didn't read the tag when I payed for it I saw it a month later
    I was upset she sold me a vail that didn't match my dress I love the vail
    I wanted a ball gown dress and now they are tilling me that when they are done it will be very much a fit and flare
  • Ok, so it sounds like you had a sketchy sales lady. That sucks. Unfortunately though, if you buy off the rack, you're paying a cheaper price but will often need more alterations. 

Have you talked to only one seamstress? How many sizes too big is this thing? Wait - they are trying to add a bra and crinoline? Or you want to, and they said they couldn't make it happen?
  • I didn't buy the black belt but I did ask if they could take it up in the middle and she just looked at me funny I feel so stupid an I don't know what to do
  • Go to a different seamstress with all of your concerns and get a second opinion on what can be done.

Also, @QueerFemme is right. That dress isn't a ball gown.

• And again, please forget about the veil.  The dress is the main thing you should be worried about.

• The dress is pretty. Get a new veil. Go to another seamstress.
  • I know it's a fit and flare it's a very puffy fit and flare that's why I goring seeing as I was too short for a ball gown
  • I know it's a fit and flare it's a very puffy fit and flare that's why I goring seeing as I was too short for a ball gown

Ok.  Then you are fine.  Take it to another seamstress, have it taken up at the waist, and buy a belt and have them add a little crinoline to the bottom of the dress.  Boom. All better.
  • Thank you all I feel less stupid I still dislike the color but white is white I just wish I could get my money back and buy the dress I want too bad you only do this wedding thing once ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards