Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

How do you get over it?

I don't wear a lot of makeup - or rather, I wear makeup every day, but it's really subtle stuff.  I LOVE the "smoky eye" look, in photographs of models, anyway.  I seriously can't believe it would look anything but weird on me, though.  I want to look really great in my photographs, not just "regular," you know?  How do you get over feeling like it's just too much, or thinking that you would look like a freak in that much makeup, etc?

I don't have a huge budget, and I don't think I could afford multiple professional trials, nor do I really want to go to makeup counters and have to buy a product I might never use in real life.

Re: How do you get over it?

• Options
    Perhaps you could try making a smokey eye on yourself instead of paying for a trial.  Or, go to a place that will do the make up in the store in an attempt to convince to buy the makeup.
  • Options
    I would suggest starting to do different smokey eye looks or similiar makeup looks on yourself a few months prior to your wedding, there are several options, A. go on youtube and look up makeup tutorials there is a lot that go over it step by step, B. Go to your local beauty school and pay substantually less (around $10?) and have them do it for you and then have them go over it with you step by step. or C go to your local sephora or beauty counter and get a free makeover. sometimes you do have to buy a product to get it but your really coming out on top because you have the same product and know how they did it so you can reciprocate it at home.
  • Options
    I don't wear a lot of makeup - or rather, I wear makeup every day, but it's really subtle stuff.  I LOVE the "smoky eye" look, in photographs of models, anyway.  I seriously can't believe it would look anything but weird on me, though.  I want to look really great in my photographs, not just "regular," you know?  How do you get over feeling like it's just too much, or thinking that you would look like a freak in that much makeup, etc?

I don't have a huge budget, and I don't think I could afford multiple professional trials, nor do I really want to go to makeup counters and have to buy a product I might never use in real life.
    It sounds like you can afford to do at least one trial?  If so, I'd communicate this to the makeup artist.  Tell her what you normally do and what you're interested in.  Perhaps she can do one eye smoky and one eye more traditional.  A good makeup artist will work with you until you are happy, within reason of course.
  • Options
    I very rarely wear makeup.  The photo I brought to my trial had a smokey eye.  She ended up doing it very subtley on me.  It made the area around my eyes just a little bit dark, without being full on black or charcoal colored.  Maybe something like this would be good for you as well?

I'd definitely try to book one trial if you can find the money for it.  Trials are usually less expensive than they day of, at least.
  • Options
    I wasn't sure about what look I wanted to go with and I had her do one side of my face one way and the other side of my face another for comparision, then we also took pics of each side. At my trial appointment, they were very flexiable because they said this is what a trial appointment is for, to help you figure out what look you want. After coming to a final decision, they wrote down what colors they used to have for reference on my big day.
  • Options
    Do you have a friend that is into makeup that could do your makeup for you as a trial to see what you like/don't like.  Or consider trying a lighter smokey eye (with browns rather than black) so it is closer to your everyday comfort level but still special.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards