Jewish Weddings

Price for a rabbi to officiate?

I was recommended a Rabbi from a friend who had him preside over her wedding. I spoke to him on the phone once and in a few emails, and he seems very much in line with what FI and I are looking for in an officiant! However, yesterday I received and email that had come info documents/FAQs, etc, and one of them listed his price: $1000. On the budget calculator here on TK, it had given me an estimate of $500, and elsewhere I've heard/seen most prices range from $400-$700-ish. 

Is $1000 completely ridiculous? It would include his travel expenses (wedding is about 2 hours away from our city, and he would probably have to stay overnight.) Also, if we chose to, he would provide us with a complimentary ketubah instead of buying one commercially...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Price for a rabbi to officiate?

• Our cantor was $500, IIRC.  He was the spiritual leader of a small shul, and we were not members of the shul (out-of-town).  We were in a fairly low cost of living area.  

I don't think $1000 is crazy for a rabbi who you don't have a prior relationship with and will have to travel.  Will he work with you beforehand on the ceremony (talk through it with you, explain things, etc.)?  
  • Hi Jessica, 

Yes, he said we could has as many in-person meetings that we want, unlimited phone calls, emails, and Skype sessions. He said that he usually doesn't participate in the rehearsal, but we would have the guidelines/order us/our planner/DOC to use. 

After posting this I Googled some more, and for my area I found that there are a good number of rabbis that charge upwards of $1500, so I guess $1000 isn't that bad. I did see a couple that *start* at $2000 or $2600 - now THAT I find to be a bit crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i guess it depends on the area. we paid $400 for our wedding (on location in Pennsylvania) but while researching I did get quotes around 850. 
  • I was surprised at how expensive rabbis were.  We found one we had no prior relationship with but who was a good fit, and he charted $750.  Two other rabbis we spoke to were around $600.  With your travel and overnight needs, I could see how he'd get to $1000.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards