Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

First trip

First time shopping for a dress tomorrow. What do I need to take with me? Strapless bra probably. Anything else? And who helps you into the dress? The consultant? How long do these things normally take?

Re: First trip

• Options
     Congrats! I loved going dress shopping! It was an awesome experience! 

I just wore my regular 'under the dress' essentials. They provided me with different bras to try on with different styles of dresses. Bring your camera, but other than that, they should have everything you'd need there! The consultants are able able to help you into the dresses. Although, I brought one of my BMs, & she got me into them. If we needed help getting them done up, the consultant assisted us once I had the dress on. (We had a male consultant, and I just felt more comfortable changing into the dresses myself). I would say, at the least, you'll want to set aside 'at least' 2-4 hours to go through dresses. My dress was the 4th I tried on, but my BM convinced me to keep trying on different styles, to compare & make sure I was completely sure of my choice. I think in total, we were there about 3 hours or so. By the time we got started, browsed dresses, tried them on, tried walking in each, found accessories, etc. 

Good luck to you!

*J
  • Options
    First time shopping for a dress tomorrow. What do I need to take with me?  Printed out pictures of dresses that you like that you found online or cut out pictures from magazines might help.  Strapless bra probably. Anything else?  I would wear full back skin toned underwear or Spanx.  They will probably have lots of shoes, undergarments, and accessories if you need anything else. And who helps you into the dress? The consultant?  Yes, the consultant helps you in and out of dresses and pins them and stuff because sample sizes rarely fit correctly.  They will see you in your bra and underwear so be prepared for that.  How long do these things normally take?  Between an 1-2 hours, I think.  Though some brides have to come back multiple times or they choose the first dress they try on.  
  • Options
    It depends on where you go, but usually the consultant will help you into dresses (mine didn't do jack shit the entire time we were at DB).  I wore a strapless bra and white undies that covered my butt because I thought the consultant would be in the fitting room...even though she wasn't, one dress I tried on was pretty see through there so I'm glad I wore what I did.  And my mom and MOH took pictures of the dresses, so I'd say someone with you should have a camera, or if you're going alone, bring a camera and have your consultant take pics.  For trying on about 8-10 dresses for me, and my BM trying on 3 dresses, I think we were there about 3 hours max.  If you've already looked online, it will definitely help to bring in photos/ style numbers that you like.  Once I went with a girl who had a specific heirloom necklace she wanted to wear, so she brought it to make sure her neckline would work with it.  The only other thing I would say is to be open minded.  I went in looking for a simple ballgown and I bought a lace fit and flare with beading and flower details that my SIL found.  Have fun shopping!  

• Options
    Yeah, full coverage nude underwear for sure. Who helps you depends; for every shop but one, it was the consultant. My favorite shop (and where I got my dress) let me step into the dress by myself and then the consultant would walk in just to zip and clip me in. 

It helped me to be dressed up (I blew out my hair and slapped some makeup on) just so I didn't feel schlumpy in the dresses. 

I probably spent about two hours in each shop. And then went back to the first shop and bought the first wedding dress I've ever put on. 

I think the biggest thing is to remember to have fun and not get so stressed about finding "THE ONE." You don't get to play with elaborate gowns every day; try on random ones, try on ones you wouldn't pick just to see a different shape. Just have a blast with it!

• Options
    I literally brought my spanx, my purse (and it's contents), and my sister to my appointment. The bridal shop was able to provide me with a longline bra, and they has shoes if I needed them. My sister took pictures of my top picks, and I was able to look at them again after I left. I ended up going back a second time when my mom was in town and ordered my dress then. I would also recommend packing a small supply of water and snacks (fruit or granola bars), just in case.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Good tips! I wouldnt have thought about the full coverage underwear, should have though. Duh!

Thanks ladies, I'm excited!
  • Options
    i brought a shaper and a regular no wire bra with me  and it worked out fine i was able to take the straps and slide them off and see how the dress would look with a strapless or long line bra.

i went to only local bridal shops i didnt not go to any chain bridal shops like db or aa
  • Options
    Wear your hair similar to how you think you'll wear it to your wedding- making it look a little nicer that day makes a big difference : )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards