Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Bridesmaid/Maid of honor hair and makeup--who pays?

Hello!

I'm sure this has probably been covered (and is probably a commonly known thing that I'm just unaware of!) but who traditionally pays for the bridesmaids and maid of honor to have their hair/makeup done the day of the wedding? I'm fully prepared to pay for my girls and everything, but I was just wondering what the "traditional" way of doing this is. 

Thanks for the help, ladies! 
Chelsea

Re: Bridesmaid/Maid of honor hair and makeup--who pays?

• If you want their hair and make up done professionally you should pay. If one of them is uncomfortable using a different stylist, then just let it go or offer to pay that stylist for them.

Anniversary
  • Alright! I was going to get my hair and makeup done professionally the day of, and was going to let them do what they wanted--if they want to do their own makeup and hair, then cool! If not, I'll pay for them to get it done with me or somewhere else.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    EarthToChelsea said: Alright! I was going to get my hair and makeup done professionally the day of, and was going to let them do what they wanted--if they want to do their own makeup and hair, then cool! If not, I'll pay for them to get it done with me or somewhere else.

If you leave the choice of whether they have their hair/make up professionally done with your BM's, you are under NO obligation to pay for it.  It is only the bride that
    insists on professional hair/make up for their wedding party that needs to pay for it.
  • Yep, if you leave it up to them whether they want it done or not, you don't have to pay for it. Of course, it's always a lovely gesture when a bride offers :)

• I think offering to pay if they want it professionally done, but not pressuring them to get it professionally done, is a wonderful plan.
  • I couldn't afford to pay for everyone so I just extended the offer to set up stylist at my salon if they wanted to have their hair done professionaly & didn't have their own stylist. I made sure to include the prices of the salon for just style vs an updo & makeup. If you pay for it, that would be very kind of you to pick up that expense for them

• I think offering to pay if they want it professionally done, but not pressuring them to get it professionally done, is a wonderful plan.
    This.  If you want it professionally done, you should pay.
  • What if you don't want it professionally done but requested they have it looked "done"?

I was wondering about this too: I let my BP know the pricing for the salon that will be doing my hair and make up. I didn't say they had to have their hair and make up professionally done, I just wanted their hair to look done. Meaning I didn't want them to look like they just rolled out of bed and put their hair up in a messy pony tail.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CLI242009 said:
    What if you don't want it professionally done but requested they have it looked "done"?

I was wondering about this too: I let my BP know the pricing for the salon that will be doing my hair and make up. I didn't say they had to have their hair and make up professionally done, I just wanted their hair to look done. Meaning I didn't want them to look like they just rolled out of bed and put their hair up in a messy pony tail.
    What do you mean? I think if you told them they had to have a certain hairstyle, you should be paying for them to get that hairstyle done. 

And as far as rolling out of bed, these are your friends, yes? Do they normally look unkempt? You don't have to patronize them by telling them they need to look good; I'm sure they realize they are in a wedding and will be in hundreds of photos. Trust your best friends to look acceptable.

I'd personally find it really obnoxious if my bride friend was like, "PDKH, you need to make sure you look at my wedding, ok?" I'd be thinking to myself, "No, shit, bride. Does she think I look terrible on an average day?"
  • CLI242009 said:
    What if you don't want it professionally done but requested they have it looked "done"?

**stuck in the box***

I think your BMs know that they shouldn't roll out of bed and not try to look nice for your wedding.  If someone had told me that, I would be pretty offended.
  • CLI242009 said:

If you are suggesting that they need to have it look professionally done, you need to pay.  I'm sure there are some people out there who can do their own hair to the same level as a professional, but for most people, such a suggestion would leave them with no option but to pay a professional.  

If you're giving the option in such a way that they would each feel like it is truly up to the to get it professionally done or to do it themselves, then they can pay if they have it done.  
  • CLI242009 said:

If you have requested that they don't look like crap (basically what the bolded is), you should apologize, and then if you would like professionally done hair, pay for it.  If not, it's fine to tell them the details of where you are going but not put any pressure on them to join.
  • CLI242009CLI242009 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    I know they weren't offended because when I was trying to get the point across to them, I had my 3 say "done" and we laughed about it. I didn't know how else to say it so they supplied the word for me.

I don't want them to get it professionally done. No, if they don't have the money, then I don't expect them to do something like that. I don't want them bankrupting themselves just to look good for my wedding. Just to do something with it besides a ponytail, whether it's a little head band in their hair or their own curling iron.

I gave them the pricing for the salon I'm going with and said that if you guys want to use my salon just let me know by __ date so I can give a proper head count, if not you guys can go wherever you want or style your own hair.

vt&dt - To your comment, my sister would in fact do this if I hadn't said something, so instead of singling her out and saying the comment only to her, I generalized it to the whole group. A lot of background between my sister and I but I know she would do this sort of thing, she really doesn't care about my relationship. She's in my BP cuz of obligation and she accepted only out of obligation as well. (Don't ask..too much drama there).

To OP, sorry for jacking the thread, I didn't mean for that to happen.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been in a wedding where the bride's FSIL came in her dress already, it was wrinkled and she had put her hair up in a banana clip. My friend had a mild freak out over it, so I just went over to her and offered her some bobby pins to secure her hair. It does happen, but obviously your BMs are aware of what you meant and you guys had a laugh over it. No harm, no foul there! 

Maybe if your sister is capable and likely to do this, have some bobby pins, curling iron and hair spray around so some of the other girls can "help". GL!
  • kasmith1 said:
    I've been in a wedding where the bride's FSIL came in her dress already, it was wrinkled and she had put her hair up in a banana clip. My friend had a mild freak out over it, so I just went over to her and offered her some bobby pins to secure her hair. It does happen, but obviously your BMs are aware of what you meant and you guys had a laugh over it. No harm, no foul there! 

Maybe if your sister is capable and likely to do this, have some bobby pins, curling iron and hair spray around so some of the other girls can "help". GL!
    Thank you for the support. It's going to be interesting and if anything it's not the wedding stress that's making me worried, it's the stress of my sister and mom being there with me. Hopefully they'll behave.

Yeah we did have a good laugh about it. They're also not the type of people who if they get offended will NOT say anything, oh they will HAHA. Been on the receiving end a couple of times already (not wedding related).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm paying for my two bridesmaids too. If you want them to get it done the bride should pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards