Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Australia weather in March?

Has anyone been to Australia/New Zealand in March (mid-month) and can comment on the weather? Will the beaches still be open and will the water be warm enough to swim? I've done some Google searches and the average I'm seeing is about 75F during the day, which won't really be warm enough to swim I think. Just want some facts from anyone who knows for sure or has been there during that time. Thanks! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Australia weather in March?

• Options
    Australia has many different climates. Which beaches were you looking to visit? For example, Cairns is tropical and will always be warm enough for beach/swimming.

• Options
    @Jells2dot0 We're not really sure. We're still trying to decide where we want to go. Hoping to find a destination where we can explore for a bit and then enjoy just laying on the beach. Don't know much about Australia but now that might be an option as well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    NZ really doesn't have many true beach-y destinations. The north part of North Island is subtropical, but not "tropical" in the sense of what we view the Caribbean or Tahiti. We did a subtropical/tropical itinerary in Australia all within Queensland. it was in August, so just coming out of their winter (so, it would be our March!) and the southern tip of the Reef was borderline warm (around 70) and the northern tip (Cairns and north) was mid 80s. If you want a nice mix, consider Sydney, maybe some of the regions around there (wine country or Gold Coast going north) and then maybe the Whitsundays or Cairns!

Or you could just do the Sydney/Melbourne thing and head to Fiji on the way back, or do NZ and stop in the cooks on the way back...the opportunities are endless! :)

• Options
    I've studied abroad in Australia so I can try to answer some questions. But really, Australia is huge and it depends where you want to go. Weather in Queensland (Brisbane) is a little bit different than weather in New South Wales (Sydney). Both of these cities are unique because they have accessible beaches right there-so you can still enjoy a beach vacation. And Brisbane has an awesome man-made beach in the center of the city-really awesome! If you are concerned, I would suggest staying further north (i.e. Queensland). When I studied there, I lived in Brisbane. On my first trip to Sydney I froze! They are very different areas. I would suggest the Whitsunday Islands if you can afford it because they are just incredible (although I've never been, other people in my program couldn't stop raving).

In March, no matter where in Australia you go, you're going to be at the tail end of their summer. 72 may be the average during this time in Sydney, but further north you're going to see warmer temperatures. And frankly, if you're paying to go to Australia, I would suggest going northeast experiencing the Great Barrier Reef (which is further north and off the east coast).

I'll also second the fact that New Zealand is not exactly tropical. The major attraction is Auckland (which is just a city)-which has a small island off of it (which is in no way tropical, or large) for day trips mainly (or a bed and breakfast).

Fiji, on the other hand, is incredible and an ideal honeymoon destination. I stayed at Turtle something, an all inclusive with amazing little "bures"--little huts you have all to yourself. Just a very peaceful island. If I had the money for the flights, I would go back in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    @Jells2dot0 and @vbialecki - Thank you both so much for such detailed advice! This really helps us as we make our decisions. Will discuss with FI and hopefully we will settle on something soon. =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We went to New Zealand last March for our anniversary and we had wonderful weather. In Auckland it was warm and sunny, and when we took a daytrip to Waiheke Island there were people SUPing although not swimming. Our main goal of going was to hike the Milford Track on the South Island, which I can't recommend enough, and we had great weather for that, too.

We wanted to add in something beachy and relaxing after the hike, so we stopped in Fiji for four days. It was an easy stop and very relaxing. However March is the rainy season there and we did have rougher water conditions and one full day of rain with usually one shower the other days. Still lovely, but something to keep in mind. I have reviews of that trip in my blog: http://marylandgirl.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/milford-track-march-2013/ (the Fiji and Auckland/Queenstown posts are the ones before and after that one).

For our honeymoon we went to NZ and Australia, and that was in mid May. Sydney was chilly, but Port Douglas was warm and sunny so I'm sure it would be plenty hot in March.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards