Snarky Brides

wedding dress for older bride

I am getting married next year for the third time, I know I have chosen the right man for me. But I am getting LOTS of advice about what I should NOT do, particularly with my wedding dress… my mother suggested that I wear a pant suit or something similar in ivory or champagne. My bridesmaids keep steering me towards simple tea length party dresses. I don't want a fairytale princess dress, but I do want to look special and gorgeous in a GOWN.I have been having a heck of a time finding a dress, looking for something classically sexy that is age appropriate. I think this dress may be the one but I am still a little nervous about it. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks so much. http://www.inweddingdress.com/style-mo147.html however, it’s a MOB dress. Has anyone else got a MOB dress instead of a wedding dress?? Any pics if possible.

This is the only thing i am fussing about.
Thanks ladys.xx

Re: wedding dress for older bride

• edited August 2013
    It's a pretty dress, but honestly I suggest you don't order from that website, as it seems to be a knockoff and the quality and fit will probably not be good at all. Try an actual bridal salon or department store and try things on. Dillard's has some really nice formalwear for reasonable prices.

ETA: And for the record, my aunt remarried in her forties (you didn't say how old you are?) and wore a white, strapless, corset-back ballgown wedding dress. You rock whatever you want to and let the haters hate.
  • That's a gorgeous dress! The most important thing about the dress is that YOU love it. I'm getting married for a second time and thinking about a quincenera dress because I want a ball gown but I want it to be purple.
  • You can wear whatever you want for your wedding.  The dress you are thinking of is very pretty.
  • Wear whatever makes YOU feel beautiful, not what your mother and BMs find "appropriate." Just beware of knockoff sites like @artbyallie said.
  • That site screams "Chinese knockoff"...please don't risk ordering from one! The style is lovely and yes, you should wear whatever dress makes you feel the most beautiful on your wedding day! Just thank your friends for their "advice" and bean dip them.
  • It's a gorgeous dress! Just don't buy from that website - it definitely looks like a knockoff. And this is one of those times where it is appropriate to say, "It's your day!" Wear whatever you feel beautiful in.
  • Wear whatever makes you feel beautiful. For the record, I think that a dress like that one would be absolutely lovely!
  • I think that dress is beautiful, especially in champagne (the color).

Anniversary

• I think it is a beautiful dress - and you should wear whatever YOU want!  But please follow artbyallie's suggestion and do a few searches on the dressmakers reputation/reviews from third party sites.  I too found a dress that I loved on a online only site (www.jjshouse.com) only to find out that the site/service had been trashed by many brides for their unreliable and/or difficult sales and customer service.

I haven't ordered yet but for our elopement style wedding I've selected a floor length bridesmaid's gown (in ivory) from simplybridal.com - http://www.simplybridal.com/shop/bridesmaids/85200-floor-length-a-line-chiffon-dress-with-zipper-with-chiffon.  Again I haven't ordered it yet but this site seemed to have much more positive feedback on the 3rd party sites.

Anniversary
  • I think it's gorgeous and add me to team "your day, your way."  

I actually just did a custom order though that very company after it was recommended to me by a friend who also used them.  My dress looked exactly as advertised, was very well made, all the customizations were done exactly as requested, it fits perfectly and needs zero alterations, and was here two weeks sooner than promised.  I have no qualms at all recommending them.   But the champagne color as it appears on the site is much lighter than it is in real life (at least on my computer screen).  I would order a swatch of which ever color you want if you decide to go with them.
  • I think is is gorgeous and you have every right to wear a pretty dress and not a pantsuit! I didn't want a train so I could dance and run around downtown for photos, so I wore a pageant dress - no not a pageant queen or even contestant! Check out your local dress shops for bridesmaid, HOF and even prom or pageant gowns.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• You should visit the Special Topic board called "40 plus brides" or the Special Topic board called "Second Weddings" (even though this is your 3rd wedding, they have good ideas over there).

•    I'm an over 40 bride. Fortunately I am making my own dress. My mom is a professional seamstress and I didn't wan the 'uniform' of a strapless dress with a big puffy skirt. I think it's beautiful, but I would feel silly in it. I also didn't want  train.

At the moment I am leaning toward a vintage 1930s bias cut dress pattern in white. I love the line of 30's evening gowns. They are sexy without being vulgar and I have a good figure for it. 
  • Wear what makes you feel gorgeous. If that's a red evening gown or a really rocking pair of slacks, that is a-okay. There is no rule saying a bride must wear X, Y, or Z.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Who cares about it being a MOB dress.  I'm in my twenties and there are several MOB dresses I've seen that I would wear.
  • Who cares about it being a MOB dress.  I'm in my twenties and there are several MOB dresses I've seen that I would wear.
    For real...it's not like there's a giant neon sign on the back that says "MOB". 

OP, wear what makes you feel your best! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think that dress is really gorgeous. Wear what makes you feel beautiful. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards