Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Weddings and Tattoos: Should I hide them?

flareon983flareon983 member
First Comment
edited January 2014 in Attire & Accessories Forum
I have SEVERAL tattoos my entire family doesn't know about. My dream wedding includes me showing them off (transparent sleeves with light lace for detail & tea length dress). This would reveal my beautiful sleeve of artwork on my right arm and the artwork on my feet and ankles. I'm scared that my family will be very upset and it will ruin my big day!

What should I do? Continue to hide them? Finally show them? I'm scared of what everyone will think. HELP! I don't want to be covered head to do in a floor-length thick sleeved wedding dress!

Re: Weddings and Tattoos: Should I hide them?

• Options
    I have SEVERAL tattoos my entire family doesn't know about. My dream wedding includes me showing them off (transparent sleeves with light lace for detail & tea length dress). This would reveal my beautiful sleeve of artwork on my right arm and the artwork on my feet and ankles. I'm scared that my family will be very upset and it will ruin my big day!

What should I do? Continue to hide them? Finally show them? I'm scared of what everyone will think. HELP! I don't want to be covered head to do in a floor-length thick sleeved wedding dress!
    If anyone in your family is going with you dress shopping, they are going to figure it out.   Tell them now, and get it over with.
  • Options
    You got them for a reason...No ..you shouldn't hide them. Your body does NOT belong to your family..it belongs to  you..
    Anniversary
  • Options
    How do you have tattoos in fairly visible places (arms, ankles) and your family doesn't know? Those aren't tiny tattoos that are hidden by clothing. Those are HUGE areas of your body. 

But be that as it may, ditto PPs. If you're old enough to get married, you're old enough to own your decisions, and show off the tattoos that (presumably) mean something to you.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Don't hide them. They are a piece of you, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. :)
  • Options
    I don't understand adults hiding things from their parents. Hide your sex fetishes, sure, but tats? Time to grow up!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Own those tats.

But let at least some of your family know before your wedding day.

Anniversary
  • Options

Don't hide them. They are a piece of you, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. :)

chibiyui said:
    Own those tats.

You got them for a reason...No ..you shouldn't hide them. Your body does NOT belong to your family..it belongs to  you..

You are an adult. Your body is yours to do what you wish. If you want to show your tats off then that is what you should do. But I think it may be best to tell your family members about them instead of surprising them with the tats at your wedding.

How do you have tattoos in fairly visible places (arms, ankles) and your family doesn't know? Those aren't tiny tattoos that are hidden by clothing. Those are HUGE areas of your body. 

But be that as it may, ditto PPs. If you're old enough to get married, you're old enough to own your decisions, and show off the tattoos that (presumably) mean something to you.
    Thanks for the advice! I'm just going to show them. I would feel much more beautiful that way. And your feedback makes me feel a lot better. I know that some people may leave the wedding because of it though. Unfortunately I am related to VERY christian/oldfashion people that don't approve of a lot of things. Can't make everyone happy, right?
  • Options

Thanks for the advice! I'm just going to show them. I would feel much more beautiful that way. And your feedback makes me feel a lot better. I know that some people may leave the wedding because of it though. Unfortunately I am related to VERY christian/oldfashion people that don't approve of a lot of things. Can't make everyone happy, right?
    My grandparents have told me to my face that they don't like my sleeve. But they still love me and treat me the same as they did before! 

• Options

chibiyui said:
    Own those tats.

You are an adult. Your body is yours to do what you wish. If you want to show your tats off then that is what you should do. But I think it may be best to tell your family members about them instead of surprising them with the tats at your wedding.

If people leave in a huff, they do. They will be making an ass out of themselves.   My guess if if they haven't seen your tattoos already, you probably aren't all that close to them anyway.
  • Options
    If anyone wants to be offended by what a grown woman does with her body, Boo freaking hoo. Frankly leaving a wedding because you don't like a tattoo is a lot more offensive than your tattoos.  And if you love your tattoos and think they're beautiful, own them and show them off!  
    Although I would suggest letting your family members see your tattoos BEFORE your wedding, so that if they are going to throw hissy fits, they can have time to get over it before the wedding- and they probably will get over it.  
    For instance, right now the top half of my hair is a bright magenta red, and the bottom half (As in the bottom layers, not the ends) is bright teal.  When I first started dying my hair, it was a few inches of teal at the bottom of my natural brown hair.  My grandmother on my dad's side FLIPPED.  She called me up yelling, freaking out, saying I used to be a classy lady and now I wasn't, etc.  She was completely over it in a few days and now compliments my two tone super bright hair (And I know she means it- she is honest and blunt, she is NOT the kind of person who gives out compliments she doesn't mean.)  Just give your family time to freak out and get over it before the wedding.  
  • Options
    Those who love you and support you will be there with out without the tattoss. But I agree with pp to show them off now so family isn't shocked when you go dress shopping or at the wedding. You liked the designs enough to get them, so show them off
  • Options
    i was in the same boat! even posted a thread about it here haha….

i have a quarter sleeve and a large upper back piece. i bought a dress that shows them both, but decided to cover them with makeup professionally. also, i broke the news to my folks beforehand.

tough decision, but i wanted the wedding to be about me and my man, not "oh look at the bride with tatts"… i love my tatts and like to show them, but it really is personal preference. regardless though, i say tell your fam…. it was really hard but so worth it!
  • Options
    i was in the same boat! even posted a thread about it here haha….

i have a quarter sleeve and a large upper back piece. i bought a dress that shows them both, but decided to cover them with makeup professionally. also, i broke the news to my folks beforehand.

tough decision, but i wanted the wedding to be about me and my man, not "oh look at the bride with tatts"… i love my tatts and like to show them, but it really is personal preference. regardless though, i say tell your fam…. it was really hard but so worth it!

Thanks so much! I'm so glad I'm not the only one in the same situation. :)
  • Options
    I know it could be awkward to tell people you have tattoos if they don't know. I'd tell them before the wedding day. Some people on here are saying you shouldn't be scared, but I know some parents can be difficult when it comes to that. Just don't let them see on your wedding day for the first time.
  • Options
    I know it could be awkward to tell people you have tattoos if they don't know. I'd tell them before the wedding day. Some people on here are saying you shouldn't be scared, but I know some parents can be difficult when it comes to that. Just don't let them see on your wedding day for the first time.

It definitely is awkward. Especially for grandparents because their mind goes so many places when they see tattoos because what they symbolized throughout the years. But I have to break it to them soon... wish me luck!
  • Options
    Tattoos are personal and beautiful--you should show them off because you love them! However, I would tell your family ahead of time so the drama of the "big reveal" doesn't put a damper on your wedding day and everyone can just focus on celebrating!
  • Options
    Show them now so they can see them instead of surprising them on your wedding day. If you let them see them of the first time on your wedding day, they are going to be more focused on your tattoos then your dress and other details of your wedding. Not that they will disapprove of them, just that they will naturally want to check them out.
  • Options
    If you're proud of them, go ahead and show them off. It's your wedding and you should make it yours 100%! That said, like Erikan73 said, it might be a good idea to let them know ahead of time and soften the blow.
  • Options
    hey all just an update.... i had a trial run with my makeup artist to cover one of my tatts with professional makeup. well it didn't go so great! here are pics - one of my tattoo, one after the makeup was applied, and one a few hours later. the middle one looks decent in pictures but pretty awful in person. 

that being said, i've decided to not go with the makeup! i'm working with my makeup artist on adding some embellishment, likely small pearls. 

and tell your fam! (if you already did, how did it go?)

anyways, each person is different, you may way to cover yours with makeup, leave them showing, wear a jacket, etc.... but my advice after this is to do a trial run with whatever you choose!
  • Options
    Oh wow. I'm glad you decided just to let them show. That makeup looks pretty bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards