Vermont

Wedding venue search-need advice!

Hi everyone,
I've been on the wedding venue hunt for the past two months and am starting to get discouraged. The fiancé and I are based in NYC, but we're looking to get married next year in Western Mass./Upstate NY/Southern VT area where he's from.

We've been looking at places in Lenox, Lee, Pittsfield, and Holyoke MA, as well as some places in NY like Schenectady, Saratoga and Cambridge and Manchester and Bennington VT. So far we haven't found a single thing that fits our needs and budgets and we've looked at all of the usual suspects mentioned on these boards (Log Cabin/Delaney, Berkshire Hill Country Club, Bucksteep Manor, Look Park, Crissey Farm, The Kemble Inn, The Inn at Manchester, etc.).

We want someplace where we can get married outdoors and have the reception either in a tent outdoors or inside in a room with lots of windows. We're looking at a guest list of about 125-175 people right now and we have a grand total of $12,000 TOTAL (so for food, drinks, DJ, flowers, venue, etc.) to spend. I found my dream spot, the West Mountain Inn at Arlington, but it's way too expensive for our budget. Every place I've emailed has just been way too pricy for us and I'm finding it a struggle to find anything within our budget.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me of places that aren't frequently mentioned on these boards that might be able to accomodate the wedding I'm dreaming of? We have an appointment to view the Red Barn at Hampshire College in Holyoke, MA next month, but right now that's the ONLY option I have. I need more places and not being from the area, have no clue what I'm doing or where to even start looking.

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Starting to get really discouraged and frustrated, when all I really want to do is just enjoy the engagement. Help!

Re: Wedding venue search-need advice!

• edited December 2011
    Try the parks department websites for each of those states.  They often have pavilions you can rent in beautiful locations for cheap!  Amenities are often lacking though.  $12,000 may be a bit low for that number of guests, but as long as you're prepared to DIY a bit you'll be fine.  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Southern Vermont College- Everett Mansion, Bennington, VT
    Colligate Village- Bennington
    Four Chimney's- Bennington

Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • gwenhope3gwenhope3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We live in nyc too and are getting married in Vermont.  We totally thought Vermont would be way cheaper than NY and it is not at all!  Apparently Vermont is the #2 state for destination weddings (who would have thought)  - so the wedding industry is big business up there.  I have a feeling that upstate New York may be your best bet. 

One place we looked at and really liked was the Bear Mountain Inn.  It is only 45 minutes from the city.  They have space for an outdoor ceremony and a nice banquet room for your party.  It was $100 a person for a Saturday night and that included liquer too.  This was the price they gave us last spring anyway.  That was the best price we saw ANYWHERE.

good luck!
  • JudygvtJudygvt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked out the Wilburton Inn in Manchester Vt. It is a great old Victorian mansion with incredible views
  • I am curious as to how this worked out for you? I am in the exact same boat. I live up here in WIlliamsville, VT and trying to find a wedding spot that doesn't start at 20,00 seems very difficult. I am considering the state parks. Does anyone have any experience with this?

• Try the Wallingford Lodge in Wallingford VT. Gorgeous property. Right on a little lake. 500 bucks for the day to rent the lodge!
  • I live in Vermont and am running into the Same situation you are. So far the best thing I found was the swallows nest in Brandon Vermont. Www.swallowsnestvt.com it gives 4 days rental of "the swallows nest" the small house on the property, more than one location option for ceremony's and receptions in the property. However you would need to provide everything else. I got a quote from celebration rentals of approx $5500 for tables chairs tent lighting dance floor etc for 200 people. The site fee I believe is between 2 and 3k. And music we are planning to use jam man entertainment. (Both the dj and tent rental company are in Brandon too so no travel fees) I also looked into the state parks but I am not so sure I want to do that, from what I have read they have strict rules about shutting down the events 1 hr before sunset. Hope this helps Joanna
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards