May 2014 Weddings

Rehearsal Dinner

I feel as though we've talked about this before, but I can't find it anywhere recent haha

The rehearsal dinner has been stressing me out! Traditionally, the groom's parents host, but FI's dad and stepmom haven't offered to help with or contribute to anything (which I find a bit frustrating, but whatever). So I knew that instead of waiting for someone to offer to host it for us, we'd have to take it on ourselves.

We're getting married in a very small town in a rural setting, so finding a venue for the rehearsal dinner was difficult! We'll have family members coming from 30 - 40 mins on either side of the venue for the rehearsal, so we wanted to keep the dinner venue nearby so that one group wasn't having to go way out of their way and then double back and drive twice as far to get home afterward.

I finally found a nice restaurant/wine bar in the next town over (5 minutes away) that is offering a great group tapas menu, charcuterie and cheese board, and flatbread pizzas... for only $25pp, including tax and gratuity! That's pretty much unheard of around here, so I'm pumped!

What are you guys doing for your rehearsal dinner?

Re: Rehearsal Dinner

• That sounds so perfect!  Fi's parents are hosting our rehearsal dinner at a private golf club.  Not really my first choice since our reception the next night will be very formal (I thought it would be fun to do something a little more low-key), but since I'm not paying for it, I'm just going with the flow :)
  • We decided not to have a rehearsal or dinner. Our ceremony will be pretty simple and since we are only inviting 35 people to the wedding we felt like the rehearsal the night before was going to be pretty much everyone that would be at the wedding so it was kind of pointless. It would be like 2 weddings. LOL
  • @tammym1001 I felt the same way -- we have the same number and I was kind of like, "ummm, almost half of our wedding guests will be there..." Haha. But in the end, we decided to go with it and just do something casual and relaxed, since both sides of our families rarely get together.

• We're having our Rehearsal Dinner in an old turn-of-the-century house that's now a restaurant (restaurant opened in 1978). I live in a small-ish city (aka not No-wheres-ville but not Tampa either) and it's one of the restaurants I feel like people should go to when they visit my city.

We haven't started "planning' it yet, besides renting it out for the evening...but they're very open and accommodating and so I'm excited! 

They have a brick patio that's absolutely surrounded by greenery and foliage (in the middle of our "downtown") and it's very tucked away and romantic...fairy lights, greenery, a fountain, white wrought-iron tables and chairs...I love it! 

If you're super interested, it's http://www.verandarestaurant.com/  :)
    Anniversary
  • @klc09d what a great place!!

We can't rehearse at our venue cause there is a wedding there the night before ours.  So we are going to do it at the FILs.  They have a large property which will be perfect for planning out the walks and everything.  And they are going to have a kabab place cater which will be perfect and casual and should be lots of fun. I'm looking forward to having a fun day before all the crazy :D
    Anniversary
  • @pumpkinsandturkeys. I know how you feel (and how frustrating it can be) with FI's parents not contributing as much to the wedding. His parents are European and only planned & payed for his oldest sister's wedding which was overseas in the late 80s early 90s. It was also the kinda thing & culture where they're from that you don't really plan things in advance; like the day before the wedding they make phone calls to people they know who play music or do photography and ask if they can come do the wedding the next day - REALLY??!!?? I couldn't beileve that, and its made explaining to them (well his dad more so than his mom) why we need a lot of money now for deposits (we can't just call up a photographer a day before the wedding!!). So I think we will be covering the rehersal dinner ourselves. I'd hate to ask my parents to do it since they already have paid for a ton of stuff and will be covering our entire venue expenses. We are thinking about having it at one of our fav pizza/italian places.....I kinda want to do like a mini pizza party (the place serves like personal pan size pizzas which at least 3 people could share) but FI is not too keen on that idea (which is a shocker as he LOVES pizza!), so we might just go with their pasta party menue which is about $25 a person.
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • bellaluna290bellaluna290 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2014
    We are doing our rehearsal dinner 2 days before the ceremony. I am glad that we opted to do this for financial (minimums are less on Thursday) and stress reasons. Like you, we are paying for it ourselves.
    Our rehearsal dinner will be at an Italian restaurant: Mia Francesca (<--clicky)
    We haven't picked our exact menu, but I am pretty sure that we'll be doing something family style.

Anniversary
  • @ArtTeacher23 I feel the same way. My parents have offered to contribute a fairly significant amount to our wedding and have asked for nothing in return (no special guest list additions or anything); whereas FI's parents are much better off and his dad hasn't asked a single thing about the wedding. FI doesn't even know where his dad's head is at with it; he has said we could get a normal $100 - $200 from him and his stepmom on the wedding day, or we could get a cheque for a few grand. We really have no idea which way it will go. Part of me wants to ask our SIL about when she married FI's brother a couple of years ago, just so that we know whether or not to expect anything from them, but I feel as though that's tacky.

• We're not having a rehearsal, but we are hosting pizza at Round Table the night before for our wedding party and guests who came down to stay overnight.  We needed our WP there because our ceremony is at 11:00 am and the wedding is approx 2 hours away from home.
  • FIs parents aren't hosting our rehearsal dinner. We are. Super frustrating. FSIL got married in 2012. Her FI (now husband) parents were deceased. FMIL bitched how she had to pay for that too (they put out 50k+ for that wedding) yet didn't offer us anything. For a while she bugged me about the date for the rehearsal. I thought maybe bc she wanted to plan the dinner. I txt her soon as I got the date/time. All she said was "ok". A few days went by still no word to FI or I so I went and booked a restaurant. A wide variety of Italian food, beer, wine, soda, and dessert in a private room. I'm looking forward to it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our reception venue is awesome enough to give us our room the night before for rehearsal dinner at no charge. They are letting us use the time to decorate and set up everything on the tables/walls/etc while we all have pizza and beer. Super informal, just what we both want :) Plus this way I know I will be able to have a say and see the room set up for the next day.

• Yeah, we're just doing pizza. Somewhere, not sure if we can use the venue for a rehersal or not yet.

Anniversary
  • Luckily, FI's parents have offered to take care of the entire rehearsal dinner. My FMIL suggested a local italian family-style restaurant. We've been before and the food was great, but the location is not ideal (it's in the local mall and also 30 minutes in the OTHER direction from where the hotel is located. I have the urge to ask them to reconsider the location, but I'm hesitating because they are being so generous as to pay for everything. As long as I don't have to worry about planning any of it, I guess I'll just go along with things the way they are. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I  was scared that the inlaws would not be paying for ours either but they finally said they would don't be afraid to ask! I am letting my step mom in law plan it I think we are going to have it catered or go somewhere local that has a back room. Be up front about and just ask the worst they could say is no or better yet have the soon to be hubby ask them :b goodluck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards