Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Solo Violin for Ceremony

If you had or are having a solo violin for your ceremony music, I'd love to hear what pieces you chose.  I'm having trouble finding ideas.   We're looking for something simple--classy but not stuffy. :)

Re: Solo Violin for Ceremony

• I am actually having a solo classical guitarist.  Instead of looking for something and asking him to play it, I just got a list of his repertoire, googled for audio clips of those songs, and chose what I thought would be best from there.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    We had a string trio that couldn't play during the ceremony b/c it was misting. The violinist, however, sat in a golf cart and played solo. He played "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles for my bridesmaids, "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel for me, and "Star Wars: Throne Room" for the Recessional, and all 3 of them were recognizable just from the single instrument. Amazing!

If you Google, you can find audio clips of different songs on violin to see what you like. 

ETA: CCL's suggestion of using his repertoire is a good idea. We had to pay extra for them to write the arrangement for "In Your Eyes" and "Star Wars." 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We are having 2 violins (my son and daughter both play).  I know one that works really well is Canon in D, and it's traditional.  But pretty much anything you want can be played.  We are going with one of the Disney songs to be a little different.  I am not sure what playing level your violinist is on, that makes a HUGE difference.  I like the PP suggestion of asking for their repertoire if it is someone you are hiring.  

If it is a family member I'd search online for what you like and then have them play it.  We thought of ruling a few out because my son couldn't play that scale, but my daughter is composing a violin 2 part for him that he can play, but if they were playing in unison it would come down to skill level and the scales included. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards