Michigan-Detroit

New and a question!

Hi everyone. I have been lurking and the board doesn't seem that busy so I hope I get an answer soon. My name is Terri and DF and I are newly engaged as of New Year's. We are still obviously super early in the planning process and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Genesee county area? It seems to be a not represented area of the state on the Knot. Finding venues is proving a little difficult and was wondering if anyone else was having that issue. *I did read the vendor cost/location post and didn't see anything in this area*

Re: New and a question!

• Hello Terri I'm from genesee county. I can answer any questions you maybe have. I am 3 months away from my wedding so I have everything booked
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi Sara. Its good to know there's more people from genesee county. How is your planning going?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are looking for a venue to do both the ceremony and reception in one place. We would like to start at a later time on a Friday or a Saturday night, around 7:30-8:00 and host a dessert reception. We have a large immediate family and a tight budget. Most of the venues we have contacted require you to use their caterer (and a full meal! Eeek!) We are willing to make cuts to frilly items, decor etc but we would really like to have at least our immediate families and the mutual friends who have cemented our relationship for the last seven years. That totals around 115 people with just them and no kids under 16! Looking around the last week I think I'm ready to give up LOL. We also want to do a January 2015 wedding so outdoor venues kinda won't cut it. (This is Michigan after all!) 
  • Where have you looked so far?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There's a couple I'm thinking of off the top of my head.

You can do
    crossroads village.
    Glen gables

Have you checked into those to?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No I hadn't checked in to Glen Gables. Crossroads Village doesn't allow rentals during the month of January. 

Most of where we have been checking has been south of Genesee because I am from White Lake and he is from Highland. We currently live in Fenton and it's been a relatively new thing for both of us. I just know that a lot of what is south of here is pretty expensive quickly. 
  • Just my opinion I wouldn't do crystal gardens. I booked with them first and lost a lot of money to cancel with them. Glen Gables is a lot cheaper then them and so much nicer. I would check them out. Also what about the expo center? When I was looking I was told about them
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Or I think you can do a ceremony and reception at the Holly hotel
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Crystal gardens looks very nice. Its the food that was very nasty. I have a big dress and I would have never beable to use the bathroom. And I was just a number to them. Once they had my money they stopped answer my calls and emails. A friend of ours
    Just had their wedding there and hated it. They were so disappointed. I'm current with glen gables their food comes from black forest in frankenmuth. Much much better. And a lot cheaper. I was paying close to 6500$ at crystal not including liquor. I am paying less than 4500$ for everything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yw. I have had an amazing experience with GG. Monica has helped me a lot and answers every question asap. Go luck to your cousin. If she is looking to save. I can help you a lot. I have researched everything for my wedding to get the best price and best service
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And to be honest with you I'm paying for the highest package at GG with china and glass cups with a 3 meat 2 potato 2 veggie and 6 salads for 16$ a person.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey Ladies! I'm in Lapeer County- so not too far away. Check out Lake Nepessing Boat Club in Lapeer. It's 600$ plus a refundable $300 for security deposit! You get the whole place for the entire day. This includes 2 outdoor pavillions (ceremony) and the indoor banquet hall fitting up to 200 people. You can bring in your own alcohol and food. If you call Krista tell her Tiffany M sent you! :) She's very nice. You do need to budget renting your own linens, and buying plates/cups....but it is easily saving me 2000k doing it this way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards