Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

NWR: Housewarming party

Hi All!  My husband and I are planning a housewarming party for a Saturday this spring.  We want it to be an open house in the afternoon.  I don't want it to be at a meal time.  We were thinking of setting hours on the invite for 2-5 pm.  Do you think this is appropriate non-meal time?

I think we're going to invite about 60 people- no idea how many would actually come, but they are all local, so I'd say a lot might come.  My mother is going to help me cook/bake and I am going to order some food as well.  We're thinking about making normal size batches of many different things, so that there are just new foods being put out the whole time.  

Guacamole
Shrimp Salsa
Chicken Wings
Pesto Shrimp Skewers 
Seafood Dip
Goat Cheese Spread with sun dried tomatoes and olives
Fig and Brie Bites in puff pastry
Smoked Salmon Rolls
Wanton Shrimp Cups
Stuff Mushrooms

Plus a deli tray and a fruit and cheese tray that I will order.

Then I think we'd have a selection of pies and cakes.  Any thoughts about your favorite desserts at functions such as these?  We need some gluten free options, but I am pretty good at adapting recipes to GF.

Thoughts about the timing and menu?  I'm trying to get the general menu thought out so that I can budget it out.

Re: NWR: Housewarming party

• Can I come?

It sounds good for an open house.  Not sure what you are stuffing the mushrooms with but I would make it vegetarian since you seem to be a little light on that department.  However, you know your crowd.  I personally only have a few vegetarians to worry about so your menu would be prefect for us.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • The mushrooms will be vegetarian also.  We probably have 3 vegetarians coming and my MIL, who is one of them, might bring a chickpea and tomato dish that we can keep warm in the crockpot.  Thanks!
  • some good options but i see way to much seafood options personaly i dont eat any kind of seafood so maybe something with chicken other than the chicken wings

for those picky eaters

• I was thinking of adding some curried deviled eggs for another non-seafood option.  
  • Sounds awesome! Maybe even some meatballs in a crockpot or mac & cheese in a crockpot since that's easy. I think the timing is great, If I were invited to a 2pm event I would expect to graze on these snacks and be served a full on meal. 
    Desserts that are my personal faves- brownie bites & rice crispy treats! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards