October 2014 Weddings

Wedding Dress

We're getting married 10/19/14 :) I've been looking online at different styles of wedding dresses for the past few months. Im getting anxious to try some on but haven't even stepped foot into the boutique. Everyone keeps telling me its just to early and to wait a few months. (Being that its over a year away they think i might change my mind after purchasing) i already know the boutique I want to go to, all have to do is call for my appointment. Just wondering if any of you have tried on dresses or even purchased one? Or if its still too early?

Re: Wedding Dress

• My date is 10/18/14 and I bought my dress back in November of last year and I have not had ANY doubts about my dress in the past year.
    Anniversary
  • My date is Oct 31 next year. I bought my dress in July. Certainly try dresses. It will give you an idea of what you would like. You dont have to buy a dress right away. Remember some designers can take 6-9 months for the dress to come in and its best to leave some time for alterations. Happy shopping! Come back and show us your dress when you chose one :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My date is Oct 11 of next year and I got my dress in November of last year- I know thats early, but we went looking just for fun and ended up finding the one! I've had no doubts about it at all- its absolutely gorgeous. And has actually helped me make some other decor decisions about our wedding- it really set the tone for it. I would say start looking- ya never know when or what you may find and as @leahjwatts said, it could take several months for your dress to come in after being ordered! Good luck!!
  • I haven't tried any yet and my date is Oct 4 next year.  Any one else want a dress that is not white/ivory?  My ideal dress would be champagne with ivory lace over the top but I'm having a terrible time finding that.  I think maybe it's time to start trying them on .
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My date is 10/5. I started trying dresses on in late August. I found my dress and ordered it the last week of August. It wont arrive to the bridal salon from the designer until the beginning of January. Its never to early to try on. I would call the boutique and see how long it takes for them to get dresses in. 
  • Definitely try some dresses on! You won't know what you like (or what look goods on you) until you do so.  I went dress shopping in March and purchased my dress.  It just came in today, and I don't regret it at all! I knew the style I liked, I tried it on, and I felt like a bride.  I tried dresses on early just incase I couldn't find anything for my size.  I'm a fluffy girl, so I didn't want to wait and not find something in time!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • My date is 10/12/14 and I just bought my dress last weekend! It was my first time trying on dresses, but I really knew what I wanted.  I suggest you start trying them on and seeing what looks good/doesn't look good so you have time to shop around (which was my plan, but I ended up buying one because I loved it so much!)

• Our date is 10/3/14 and I have been dreaming about dress shopping since the week we got engaged! I had been restraining myself as well as I was getting a lot of the same feedback as you like that its "so early" to start dress shopping. I have set a date to go shopping with MIL the end of November as she wanted to come with me and we live 3 hours apart. Now I am nervous that might be waiting too long to start trying them on since I have no idea if I will find "thee dress" the first day I go out shopping for it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My date is 10.18.14 and I went dress shopping in April of this year, found my dress, put a deposit down, and ordered my dress at the end of August.  I say go ahead and go dress shopping now, if you would like, but a few things to keep in mind:

1. Don't order anything too early, in case your sizing might change. . . like in case you gain or lose a lot of weight, and alterations would then be costly and difficult.  BUT  you do want to give yourself time for the dress to come in and for you to have your fittings and alterations done.  As PP's have mentioned, salons will tell you that it can take 6-9 months for dresses to come in.

2. Don't order a dress in a size that is smaller than what your actual measurements are as taken by the consultant on the day you are ordering your dress.  It is usually easier to take a dress in than it is to let a dress out, and why add this stress to your life?  Your dress size is an arbitrary number created by that particular designer. . . it has no real basis in reality, say like mens' clothing sizes do.  Your dress size has nothing to do with how lovely you are :-)

3. Once you have ordered your dress, stop looking at dresses.  You don't want any possibility of dress regret, so put the bridal mags down, and stop looking at pictures on Pinterest and TK ;-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Thanks ladies for all your feedback!!! I scheduled my first dress appointment for next weekend, 9/29/13 :) So excited! :)
  • @Emily104 Check out BHLDN, they have a few lovely champagne lace colored dresses!
  • I have been looking at dresses online but haven't gone to try any on yet. I have been thinking about it though.
  • I was told lace takes 10-12 months since it's huge this year...just a little heads up for anyone wanting lace :)
  • My wedding is 10/26/14 and I ordered mine in middle August 2013. With the lead time, they said I should be getting my dress just around New Years. I'm glad that I got it so soon, cause if I had waited until January to start looking, I'd be worrying about getting too rushed closer to the wedding day!

@emily104 - a good friend got a champagne dress at David's Bridal...she said that most of the samples were white or ivory, but that champagne was an option with many of the dresses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks @casey8784 - I actually found a dress that I love and bought it a couple weeks ago!  They were able to order it in champagne with ivory lace.  I bought the dress at the end of September and they estimate that it will be in around the end of January. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Emily104 said:
    Thanks @casey8784 - I actually found a dress that I love and bought it a couple weeks ago!  They were able to order it in champagne with ivory lace.  I bought the dress at the end of September and they estimate that it will be in around the end of January. 
    Can we see pics?!  Sounds lovely, but I am biased. . . I'm a Maggie Bernadette bride in light gold with ivory overlay lace :-P

It has become a really popular dress (what can I say, I was fashion forward :-P ) and so now it's a Priority Dress which means it is made and ships faster!  Hopefully Bernie will be in sometime in January, or maybe even earlier!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• My wedding date is 10/3/14. I went dress shopping two weeks ao and found it!! It wnt be here until August.
  • My wedding is 10.26.14 and I have my dress picked (but not purchased). I don't plan on purchasing the dress until the beginning of next summer, around April.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Choronu said:
    My wedding is 10.26.14 and I have my dress picked (but not purchased). I don't plan on purchasing the dress until the beginning of next summer, around April.
    Are you getting it off the rack?  That's a pretty short turn around for (insanely long manufacturers) wedding dresses.  Some of them take 8-12 months to come in.

or is it a more 'unconventional' type dress?  I love those

• I am getting married 10.24.14 I have a dress in mind a but have not made an appt. Thanks for all the info read. I will get going
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards