Wedding Woes

gift questions

have you ever given one of those "recipe in a jar"?  you know -- it's all the ingredients for something, layered in a mason jar, where you just add the wet ingredients.

have you ever received one  of those and used it?

i'm just curious. 

Re: gift questions

• HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    My mother went through a phase where she thought these were brilliant.  It didn't last long. 

Never given nor received, myself.
  • edited December 2011
  • ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I have never given one, but I received one once.  I didn't use it, because it was for cookies and my suckass old 1970s oven wouldn't hold a constant temperature, but now that you mention it, I think I'm going to use it this weekend with my new awesome 21st century oven.
  • notamrsnotamrs member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Never given, but I have received one and used it.  It's been a while and I don't remember exactly what the recipe was (cookies or brownies, I think), but they were pretty tasty.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    yes to both :0)
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    I got a thing of homemade hot chocolate from 6let's daycare people.  It went straight into the trash.  

I didn't make them myself, but I have given my brother things for soup, cookies, bread, etc.  He's very hard to buy gifts for because he wants very little and buys it himself.  The one thing he always complains about is finding time to make a decent meal. 

If it was a reputable source and something I don't already do myself I'd use it.  I wouldn't use one for say choc. chip cookes.  I love my recipe.
  • edited December 2011

I think it would work, if you know the person cooks, and would enjoy what you included in the jar.

• tawillerstawillers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom got one several years ago, at least 10 years.  It's for choc chip cookies.  It's become a decoration on top of her cabinets.
  • nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_gift-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:490deb9e-a3b6-4cdc-9b03-73b4000212f7Post:00544af2-bbfa-4c00-af2a-e7b455860343">Re: gift questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it would work, if you know the person cooks, and would enjoy what you included in the jar.
    Posted by NOLABridesmaid[/QUOTE]
     Ditto this, plus you know that the person is a clean freak.  Remind me to tell you all about the roach problem at Dad's...
    imageimage
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The homemade hot chocolate is the best, 6!  But of course you have to trust the giver too.

I have definitely received and used.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    Never given them, but I received one from my aunt/cousins a couple years ago for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.  They are my favorite kind of cookie, so I definitely used it.  Though I never know what to do with the jar afterwards.
  • LnR70707LnR70707 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got one once and yes, I did eventually use it. 
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_gift-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:490deb9e-a3b6-4cdc-9b03-73b4000212f7Post:975af809-e041-4856-81f4-a3ce43953c44">Re: gift questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]The homemade hot chocolate is the best, 6!  But of course you have to trust the giver too. I have definitely received and used.  :)
    Posted by **O-Face**[/QUOTE]

These women always reeked of smoke and just always had the dirty feel.
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_gift-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:490deb9e-a3b6-4cdc-9b03-73b4000212f7Post:15781645-af13-4a3a-aa4a-7d372acc6837">Re: gift questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]  Though I never know what to do with the jar afterwards.
    Posted by arbolita[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>If you ever fry bacon or something with a fair amount of leftover oil, use the jar to store the oil until it's full and you throw it out. You can also save specific greases - like all bacon fat or all turkey/chicken fat or something - in the fridge to make gravies and biscuits. </div><div>
    </div><div>Oils and fats down the drain just clog the pipes. 

</div>
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it depends on who it came from.  But I would rather have something homemade like that than some of those overpriced soup/baking mixes from a home party.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards