Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Slideshow before ceremony....?

My fiance and I have been putting together a little slideshow for our reception, just about 5 photos each from our childhoods, moving into our relationship together over the past 5 years, maybe about 6 minutes total. I was planning on playing it during cocktail hour at the reception. 

I am wondering if it would be nice to play a short version of it before our ceremony. Start with just a couple growing up photos, followed by some of our best "together" photos, and then when it ends we would begin the wedding procession. It would play to "A thousand years" by Christina Perry. I am wondering if this would be cute, or like a graduation and strange? Our church was built with a projector screen behind the alter, so it wouldn't be difficult to do if we decide to. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :) 

Re: Slideshow before ceremony....?

• I wouldn't do it before the ceremony because you have a captive audience and it could come off as you being an AW.

Having it playing in a loop during the cocktail hour is fine since people will be able to walk away if they don't want to watch it.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Yeah, I think this fits in much better by playing as a loop during cocktail hour, where your guests can casually watch at their convenience. 

Playing it before the ceremony, I personally think, takes away from the sincerity of the moment and is forcing your guests to be a captive audience when really they just want to watch you and your FI get married. 
  • I'm not a fan of slide shows at ceremonies or receptions where it is part of the entertainment.  As PPs have said, it turns your guests into captive audiences.  If you play this in a loop during cocktail hour, people have the option to watch it or not.
  • Yeah, just do it during cocktail hour.

Anniversary
  • I'd skip it at the church...your guests will be seated and probably not talking too loudly amongst each other, which as PPs have said, forces them to be a captive audience.  Definitely play it during cocktail hour if you'd like- that way guests who do not want to watch it are free to move around, mingle with other guests, eat, drink, etc., and those that are interested will be able to see it.
  • I would skip it at the church, I think it's better suited at the reception. More people would be interested in it then.
  • Another vote for doing this at the cocktail hour.

• Count me in for cocktail hour only, not before the ceremony. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Another cocktail hour / reception vote.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014

I would skip it at both the ceremony and the cocktail hour. It would be to informal for before the ceremony and at the cocktail hour I want to get a drink and mingle. Not stand and stare at pictures for 6 minutes.

I think slideshows are best at rehearsal dinners. Have it play in the background. So people can watch it for a minute or two if they feel like it.

eta: spelling

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have to be honest, I'm not a fan of wedding slideshows at any time. 

I've seen it done before the ceremony and it's kind of meh. I'd go with other suggestions and do it during cocktail hour. 
  • Oh, wait. It wouldn't just be randomly playing on a loop at cocktail hour? Yeah, scrap it. I don't want to stand there and feel forced to watch it. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think we're going to do a clothesline-esque display of baby photos until now for each of us (outdoor ceremony), leading up to each person's "side" of seating.  That way, guests who arrive early and want something to do can look at them, but otherwise, people can avoid it.  That might be a way to incorporate these photos that you love--perhaps fill the entrance hall to your ceremony with framed photographs?
  • maziloramazilora member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    nooooo double post disease is catching!
  • If I saw the "aisle" lined with photos, I have to admit that it wouldn't impress me in a positive way.
  • @Jen4948, could you explain why? The audience isn't made captive by it, so they're just there for those who want to stop and look on their way to their seats.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    Well, the audience is made captive by it because there really isn't any way for them to avoid seeing all those photos while they're on their way down the aisle looking for their own seats or on the way back up.

So many photos lining the aisle, that really can't be avoided, can come off the same way PDA does.  It can make people uncomfortable to look at it.  And for many people, it's just not that interesting to see.  They're there to see the actual ceremony and to celebrate, but they'd prefer not to get overwhelmed with details about "your story" or how much in love you are-because that's really intimate between the couple, and honestly, it needs to stay that way.  Not everyone wants to be subjected to the minutiae of your relationship.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards