Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

buying a dress from overseas

Hello, my wedding is not until 2015 but i have been looking at  different dresses.  I have found a few i like but i'm a alittle fishy about the dresses because the price is sooooo low.  So my question is have anyone ever brought a dress from china or hong kong and how did the dress look.

Re: buying a dress from overseas

• Options
  • Options
    Your instincts are right.  Please don't buy a dress from overseas.  They are knockoffs.  There have been horror stories of women here getting awful dresses.  In the end, they have to go out and spend even more money to get a legit dress.

You still have plenty of time to save up money for a "real" dress.  Feel free to browse the "Attire & Accessories" board....this topic has been brought up numerous times.  Good luck!
  • Options

HUGE RISK!! Double check the reviews for the merchant but I say no : (

Save and check in your area for maybe a consignment bridal shop. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~Love is patient. Love is kind. Love is infinite. Love is you.~~
  • Options
    I keep seeing people talking about what a huge risk it is and how you shouldn't do it.  I read all the comments and one or two horror stories.  Then, I took the plunge.  Here's my take:

1.  Do your research.  No one can make the decision for you.  It is a bit of a risk and I lived in fear the entire time I waited for my dress.
    2.  Don't pick a dress with too many details.  I saw a photo on a board of a bride who bought one with a very ruffled skirt.  The material was different from the original, so the ruffles had no structure and just hung there like a drowned rat.  The skirt on the photo above doesn't look too tough.
    3.  The material will be different from the original, so it will hang differently (I guess this could be the same as #2).
    4.  There was no piping on the original, but there was a lot on the one they sent (I love piping, so that was okay).
    5.  Pretty much the entire month of February is a holiday in China--or something like that.  Be sure to order with plenty of time.  If the place asks for a wedding date, make up an earlier one.
    6.  Try on the original first before ordering the knockoff if possible.

After much debate, I decided to order my dress from Phoebe Bridal.  I ordered mine in late October.  It arrived before Christmas.  It fits perfectly and is beautiful.  The style is very similar to the original that I tried on.  I upgraded for better beading/crystals.  They look fine, but bigger than the originals.  Also, on the original dress, the beads were actual beads.  On the knockoff, they're more crystals.  All in all, I like the original a little bit more, but certainly not $800 more.  If you keep all these things in mind, and don't have your heart set on the exact dress, I think you'll be okay, but again, no one can make these decisions for you.  Good luck.  I'm sure you'll look beautiful no matter what you choose!

• Options
    I should also specify that I upgraded to faster shipping since some of the stories I heard were about how brides hadn't received their dress until the last possible moment.
  • Options
    One more thing...(sorry for so many additions), get professionally measured so you know you're exact size and don't have to guess.  I stopped by an alterations shop and they measured me for free.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards