Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Critique Me!

So this is a rough draft of my vows. FI wants us to write them. I'm horrible at writing things so hopefully these aren't too terrible...

FI,
I promise to honor and respect you... To always be there by your side to hold you, even if you have to be the little spoon. I will be a shoulder to cry on when times are tough, and I will laugh and dance with you when things look up. I promise to support you in your dreams, and to do my best to make you as happy as you have made me. I love you, FI; not because you are Prince Charming or because you are perfect... No one is. I will love you imperfections and all. Above all, I promise you this: I promise to spend the rest of our lives driving you absolutely mad with love!

So what do you think? Not too sappy I hope?

Re: Critique Me!

• So this is a rough draft of my vows. FI wants us to write them. I'm horrible at writing things so hopefully these aren't too terrible...
     FI, I promise to honor and respect you... To always be there by your side to hold you, even if you have to be the little spoon. I will be a shoulder to cry on when times are tough, and I will laugh and dance with you when things look up. I promise to support you in your dreams, and to do my best to make you as happy as you have made me. I love you, FI; not because you are Prince Charming or because you are perfect... No one is. I will love you imperfections and all. Above all, I promise you this: I promise to spend the rest of our lives driving you absolutely mad with love! 
     So what do you think? Not too sappy I hope?
    I crossed out what I thought was unnecessary.  The rest was good, though.
  • I agree with @doeydo; I would end it two sentences earlier.  Otherwise it's lovely.
  • I think it's fine as it is. Many people have a sentence or two, typically at the beginning, before starting in on the vows. Eliminate them or not -- I think it's beautiful. :)
  • So this is a rough draft of my vows. FI wants us to write them. I'm horrible at writing things so hopefully these aren't too terrible... FI, I promise to honor and respect you... To always be there by your side to hold you, even if you have to be the little spoon. I will be a shoulder to cry on when times are tough, and I will laugh and dance with you when things look up. I promise to support you in your dreams, and to do my best to make you as happy as you have made me. I love you, FI; not because you are Prince Charming or because you are perfect... No one is. I will love you imperfections and all. Above all, I promise you this: I promise to spend the rest of our lives driving you absolutely mad with love! 
    I'm with PP's - I'd remove the crossed out sentences at the end.  If you wanted to end with the "Above all...." sentence, I'd fill the end with something that's a priority for you and your FI.  I don't understand the "driving you absolutely mad" phrase, but think "Above all, I promise you this: ..." is a nice ending.

• Thanks ladies. I am terrible at writing things, and it definitely helps to have a sounding board!

As to the 'driving you mad' thing, its kind of an inside joke between FI and me.
  • I'd nix the Prince Charming line but I like the driving you mad line personally! I assume the little spoon thing is also an inside joke?
  • Yeah. He has to be the little spoon whenever we watch a movie or if I'm holding him. I love to tease him about it! Lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards