Attire & Accessories Forum

custom wedding band

Mostly just need to get this out of my head and see if anyone has suggestions/thoughts... Not too long after my fiance and I got engaged, I found a ring that I loved and wanted for my wedding ring. It had this hook/wave thing going on and I couldn't get it out of my head. Unfortunately, the setting for my engagement ring didn't work with it, and the shop was unable to adjust the ring so they could work together; their suggestion was that I change the setting of my e-ring, which I did not want to do. We talked it over and decided to go to a shop that does custom work and where he has had a couple of necklaces made for me (which I love). I showed them the ring I loved and we discussed what I wanted and how to make it work. They needed to keep my ring to do the design and make a mold, and about 2 weeks later we came back to see it. I really liked the mold and we told them to go ahead and make it. It was supposed to be about another week, and it wound up being more like 2.5. When it was finally ready, we went over and picked it up. It wasn't 100% like the other ring I loved, but I liked it and we took it home.

I was super antsy about getting my e-ring back, and things that I was ok with then really bother me now. I had wanted something delicate and it's much thicker band than I had anticipated, and it doesn't really hook/wave like I thought it would. Now that now that things have settled I can't get out of my head that it isn't exactly what I had asked for. I have a sinking feeling that there is really nothing I can ask them to do without having to spend a ton of money to get it altered. I do still like it, but when I look at it I mostly just notice that it isn't right. The wedding isn't for another 6 months, so theoretically there is time to make changes. I imagine I'll get used to it once I see it daily, but it makes me a little sad and also guilty that we put a lot of time and money into something special that isn't exactly right. Anyone been in this situation before, or know if a custom jeweler will work with you after you've said the piece is acceptable?

Re: custom wedding band

• I would go back to them and talk to them and tell them exactly what you don't like about it and see what they say. Each custom jeweler is different. Some will adjust it and others wont.
  • I agree that you should talk to them, but I'm just curious is it because it isn't like the first one you saw? You said yourself that the first one wouldn't work with your e ring so there's no way they could have made it exactly the same and still have it work with your e ring.
  • It's partly because it isn't like that one, and I'm working on accepting that the original one wasn't going to happen =) It's also partly because the band is thicker than I wanted and kind of overwhelms the stone in my e-ring.

The band is sort of like a ring guard, but my e-ring slides into it. Ring guards (or whatever you call them) are usually a band with the middle open so the ring drops in, but instead the band is on the bottom from the back around the left to the front, then there is a little hook up around the far right on the stone, and then the band picks up on the top right and they meet in the back. The e-ring band is very thin (I wanted something on the dainty side) and the wedding band is much thicker than the e-ring band. The band has diamonds in it, so it may be difficult to make it thinner without incurring a large additional cost. Like I said before, it's really pretty and is similar to what I wanted, I'm just kicking myself for not listening to that little voice that wasn't 100% in love with it.
  • You saw a mold, though, right? I'm guessing this was a wax model of some sort. If you didn't speak up at that time that it was too thick, I'm thinking this is your mistake and not theirs.
  • Also, do you have a picture? I'd be willing to bet you're the only one who will see anything 'wrong' with it, and that it's really pretty and doesn't 'overwhelm' your e-ring at all. If you can, post a picture and we'll all tell you how beautiful it is. :)
  • you're really sweet, thank you =) I don't have on one me, but I can probably sneak one later!

We did see a mold, and it was a lot thinner than what we got. It's totally on me for not speaking up when we got it back. My fiance and I actually had a conversation in the shop about how it was bigger than we expected. I've just been wondering if anyone has tried to go back and get something redone on a custom piece.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards