Wedding Invitations & Paper

When to send STDs when at least 50% of the guests are travelling from overseas.

loro929loro929 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited January 2014 in Wedding Invitations & Paper
My fiancee and I have finally set the date, for August 2015. We live in Europe, but as I am from the states, have decided to have our wedding stateside. One of the reasons we decided on the long engagement was to give lots of notice to our European friends and family, so that as many people as possible could have as much time as possible to think if they were able to come, and then be able to organize and plan it. As we have the venue and date locked, I found really nice and original STDs that I fell in love with, and we are now waiting for the samples of them before making a final order. Because the place and time should not change, it was not a problem to order them in advance, this way we will have them for the moment it is time to send them. As our situation is a bit out of the ordinary, his side coming from Europe and mine from the states, many people already know about these plans by word of mouth. However, and although many people already know, we are not sure when it would be appropriate to send out our official STDs. I have been looking on the board and it seems the timeline is normally approximately 8 months in advance, however, given our situation, we weren't sure when was the "most appropriate" moment to send them, so that our guests have an "official" pre-invitation and can really begin to decide if they are willing to make the travel or not. Any one have a similar situation, or know someone who has and can provide some sound advice??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: When to send STDs when at least 50% of the guests are travelling from overseas.

• I would still say 8-12 months prior to your wedding.  A year notice should be plenty of time for your overseas guests to plan a trip.

• Yep, 8-12 months should be plenty of time. Some countries may also need a formal letter and a copy of the invitation as well, so this will give guests from those countries plenty of time to request them from you.

Good luck with your planning!

~*~*~*~*~

• When I was in my friend's wedding in Brazil, she sent STD's about a year in advance. Gave everyone time to get passports and tourist visas in line, plus scout for good prices on airfare.

• For my friend's cruise wedding she sent them out 11-12 months in advance. If most of your VIPs know by word of mouth, they are probably already looking at their finances for the trip :) GL!

imageimage

• Like others, about 8-12 months should be fine.  I am doing a cruise wedding, so we needed to give everyone time to book the cruise, plan/make travel arrangements, save money for the trip, get passports, etc., so we sent STD out about 10 months in advance which worked fine.

• Thanks for the info! I'm anxious just waiting for the samples, waiting until august to send them is going to be simply torturous!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Generally, airfares aren't available at good prices more than 9 months out from departure.  9 months should be fine.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards