Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Budget (aka CHEAP) nontraditional venue

Hi guys,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />   I’m new at this and just in the beginning stages of planning for a wedding in 2015. Not having a traditional wedding, basically just want to throw more of a party than reception (no flowers, bridal party, wedding gown, or first dances) Anyways, we want the majority of the budget to go towards food, booze, and shuttling guests from the venue to a hotel TBD. I’m thinking of renting a hall of some sort (under $1000) to be the venue. Since it’s more of a party, I’d like a place that lets you bring your own food and booze. Any ideas? I’m leaning away from the fire hall route, as all the ones I’ve seen online are outdated and dingy. Although I want it cheap, I do want it to look nice on its own since we probably won’t be spending money on tons of décor. So far I’ve come across the Hampton Community Center & the Union Project.  Guest list will be around 175-200, doesn’t really matter what part of town.  Any suggestions, ideas, or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Budget (aka CHEAP) nontraditional venue

• Check the Pittsburgh Opera House as well. I will also caution you to not get hung up on the idea of excluding venues that have preferred caterers. That's initally what I was looking for, but it ended up about the same, cost-wise, for us to use a venue with a preferred caterer versus one without.
  • Blueberry Hill looks like a good place. That was our 2nd option. They are in Wexford/Warrendale area.  Also, check out the lodge at North Park.  
  • I highly recommend the Lodge at North Park! You WILL have to do DIY and rent tables and chairs but it was worth it to us.  We only had around 70 guests - but I could easily see 150 fitting... You could talk to them about 175-200 but there are several large rooms, so it may work fine.

We paid $350 total for the daily rental and it included alcohol license to bring in our own liquor. We had our ceremony outdoors and the reception inside/outside.

Here's a couple of pictures of how we decorated...

• lodge at scott park is $275
  • I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but the Georgetown Centre also might be a good option. They have a wide variety of packages, and they allow you to bring your own alcohol. What I liked was that the gratuity, cleanup, and tax are all included the price. It might be over your price depending on how many guests you have, but what I found was that having the gratuity, cleanup, and tax included really made it competitive for other places that seemed to be much cheaper at first.
  • You could try Robin Hill Park in Moon Township.  You can DIY and bring any food/beverage you want.  We looked there but I ultimately decided against because there was no big great room everyone could fit indoors, it was more segmented.  Very affordable though, and close to airport hotels.
  • Robin Hill only holds a maximum of 110 people. she's having 175-200 people.  
    Our wedding is booked there, 50 people. 

• We are having ours at the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh on 10-10-15! It is a really non traditional venue and is the cheapest of all the options we looked at (which isn't to say it is all that cheap!)
  • Not sure what area you would like to look in and i know you said you were shying away from the fire halls, but Everson Volunteer Fire Company was recently remodeled and they have a very good price that you can bring your own caterer and booxe in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards