Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Wedding ceremony and reception

My question is I have a separate ceremony and reception for my wedding. My ceremony is at my church and that is about 30 minutes away from the church. My reception area opens at 4 and I was thinking that my ceremony can start at 2 but I think that is too much of a gap and I am not sure what to do.

Re: Wedding ceremony and reception

• kiah89 said:
    My question is I have a separate ceremony and reception for my wedding. My ceremony is at my church and that is about 30 minutes away from the church. My reception area opens at 4 and I was thinking that my ceremony can start at 2 but I think that is too much of a gap and I am not sure what to do.
    There shouldn't be a gap.  You either need to move the ceremony time or reception time so that guests attend the ceremony, drive to the reception, and then begin the cocktail hour.  

How long is the ceremony?  You have 30 minutes for drive time.  So if the ceremony is an hour long Catholic mass, you either push the ceremony to 2:30 or move up the reception to 3:30.  If it's a protestant ceremony, you're probably looking at 30 minutes.  So you'd push the ceremony to 3:00 or move the reception up to 3:00.  
  • How long will your ceremony be?  If it starts at 2:00, and it takes 30 minutes, and guests need another 30 minutes to travel to the reception, it is already 3:00.  That time frame gives an hour gap at most.  

Could you consider having a receiving line after your ceremony?  That would consume another 30 minutes or so, depending on your guest list.  Is it possible to host something extremely casual, such as lemonade and a light snack, immediately following in your church hall?

Is it possible to push your ceremony back to 2:30?
  • It is possible for me to push back my ceremony to 2:30 or 3:00. Thank you. You have helped me out a lot. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards