Chit Chat
Options

How did you choose your wedding date?

2»

Re: How did you choose your wedding date?

• Options
    HisGirlFriday13 - 13 is my favorite number too :D. I think I wrote that on another post. In fact, FI technically proposed on Friday the 13th :)

We knew 2015 gave us plenty of time to save and plan for our wedding. We chose May because we hate winter, and I love spring/summer. Although the weather in NYC can be crazy and wacky, I was afraid that April would be too rainy, and the summer too humid, so May seemed like the perfect date. We chose our date randomly, as long as it didn't fall on Mother's day weekend. We originally chose May 15, but our venue hosts an annual fundraiser that date, so we changed it to the following weekend, which is May 22.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I wanted a relatively short engagement. (We got engaged June 8th last year) Originally my fiance thought he'd be out of town most of January. The holidays are really busy for my family with birthdays and such. And his parents are teachers so we wanted a weekend--preferably a Saturday.

So we picked February 15th. Actually picked it before getting engaged. People tease that he wanted that so he'll always remember it and can get cheap flowers and such.

I like the fact February will actually be an enjoyable month now. I've always felt it was the month where winter would never end...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's really interesting when people combine favorite numbers. It's a cool story and had its own meaning. :)

• Options
    We picked Oct 5 because I wanted a summer wedding (simply because I get cold easily so I wanted heat) and it's a slow time at work for both of us (we wanted to keep this in mind for anniversary trips too, we were originally thinking July as that's our anniversary, but it would be hard for me to get off work and June is bad for him).

There wasn't anything romantic behind our rationale.
  • Options
    We knew we wanted to get married on a Friday.

We originally wanted a winter wedding, so we were looking at July/August, and then a friend of ours pointed out that winter's not ideal for road safety or guest comfort around here. It doesn't make sense for us to get married anywhere else though, so winter was out.

November - January is "the season" here, so we knew it would have to be either before or after that or we'd have trouble not only with getting a venue but with finding accommodation for our guests. So I sat down and looked at all the Fridays in October 2014 and February 2015, and it came down to 31 October or 13 February, and our officiant said he was available for 31 October but might not be for 13 February, so that was that.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    We got engaged on 4-13-11. We knew we wanted a Saturday wedding and it worked out that 4-13-13 was a Saturday :)
  • Options
    Hubby and I both prefer colder weather, so we were looking at the off-season winter months (Jan-March).  Our favorite venue had an opening on February 1st, so we took it.  We'll be married one year this weekend :)
  • Options
    We got engaged on 2/15/13 the FI didn't want to do it on Valentine's day plus we were traveling to Vegas that day.  We thought at the time that he was going to be deploying the summer of 2014 so we wanted to do it before then.  We thought about early May at first but then changed our minds on two things:  flowers are more expensive for mother's day and it might be hot in Florida.  My mom is a retired florist so we looked at the calendar for Easter (also flowers are expensive).  For some reason March 30, 2014 stood out.  I liked that it was on a Sunday, too.  Now he's not deploying until January so we'll have some married time together before he leaves.
  • Options
    Our date is 9.6.14. We knew we wanted a late summer/early fall wedding but chose this particular date because it was the only date the band that we wanted to play the reception had open :)
    Anniversary

• Options
    2/4 is our anniversary date. So we wanted it as close to that date as possible (we tried on the actual date but so many people said no to it because it would of been on a weekday). We also didn't want to fall in on Valentine's Day...so 2/8/2014 it is
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I definitely wanted an outdoor wedding so it had to be summer. I would've been okay with it being later, but boy wanted it to be before he turned 30. So we picked the weekend of June 21, a few days before he turns 30 but late enough after school ends so that we have time to throw together last minute details. Then we went with June 22nd, a Sunday, to save us a boatload of money on the venue and other things. We figured Friday<Sunday because we have a lot of out of towners and in the end, people in the BP would end up having to take less time off of work to make it to both the rehearsal dinner and wedding.
  • Options
    CLI242009 said:
    2/4 is our anniversary date. So we wanted it as close to that date as possible (we tried on the actual date but so many people said no to it because it would of been on a weekday). We also didn't want to fall in on Valentine's Day...so 2/8/2014 it is
    we have the same date! only 10 days left!
  • Options

We met with our priest mid April last year he said June 14th was available for 2014 and we said we weren't doing anything that day so we booked it. In hind sight I may have tried to look at some venues first, we had some trouble finding a venue for that date, but I'm so happy with the date and can't wait.  One of my favorite's flowers (peonies) is in bloom for the wedding too, so I'm lucky.

Anniversary

• Options
    We got engaged 12/17/13 on our 9th anniversary. We were debating between fall of 2014 and spring 2015 but I really wanted a fall wedding. We decided September or October worked best, and once we had our venue and photographer picked out we narrowed down the dates they both were available. Between 09/23/14 and 09/29/14 as our top two choices we decided to go with the 23rd.

Eloping on a Tuesday sounds pretty awesome to us :)
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    CLI242009 said:

Oh, but numerologically, 2×4=8. So you're taking your dating anniversary and multiplying the love for your wedding date :)
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    HisGirlFriday13 - Holy hell I never even thought about that xD Lmao thank you!!!

cruffino  - 9 now!!!! We are going up to the venue tomorrow to take all the stuff that they will need from us. (DIY Centerpieces, place cards, etc.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's 5 months exactly from my wedding! I'm so excited that in 5 months and one day, I'll wake up as a wife to my wonderful punk rock boy toy. We chose June 28, because we started dating around that time in 2008, and I'm a teacher so summers off is helpful. He wanted to get married before it gets too hot, and I REFUSED to plan a May wedding. We live in Oklahoma, and May is dangerous. If there's a storm, I won't leave my tornado shelter. Haha, I'm a baby when it comes to tornadoes. He could care less. But, we compromised with June so it won't be as hot as late July, or as scary as any time during May. I'd love to hear how you picked your big day. Anyone do any of the same number days (07/07/07, 11/11/11)?
    I don't blame you about tornadoes, they are not to be effed with.

Our wedding date was chosen based on when our church and our reception venue were available.  We knew we wanted an October wedding, which is like the most popular wedding month now, so we started visiting venues early and once we found the one we liked we went with whatever Saturday they had opened.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    CLI242009 said:
    HisGirlFriday13 - Holy hell I never even thought about that xD Lmao thank you!!!

cruffino  - 9 now!!!! We are going up to the venue tomorrow to take all the stuff that they will need from us. (DIY Centerpieces, place cards, etc.)
    I like numbers, and I like number games. Always have -- I blame my dad, who used to play them with me as a kid. But I'm glad I could help!

Congrats to you both!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    We picked a weekend day close to St. Patricks day.
  • Options
    CLI242009CLI242009 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    CLI242009 said:

I like numbers, and I like number games. Always have -- I blame my dad, who used to play them with me as a kid. But I'm glad I could help!

Congrats to you both!
    Thank you!!! =)

I see weddings a lot at my work and I HATE seeing how the bride and groom look awesome before they have their outdoor wedding and then they come back in to head to the reception and are just covered in sweat and look very greasy and ewww....

I know we wouldn't of had an outdoor wedding but I would of wanted some photos taken outside...where FI would of been miserable.

So I know I would of been fine in the summer (I love the sun!) but FI would not. He also loves winter...the snow....everything..I do not. So I made the decision so that FI would not suffer in the heat to have a winter wedding. I got the man of my dreams, I can alter my beautiful sunny wedding day dream to a winter wonderland dream wedding day. Another reason why we picked Feb....and not June-August.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My fiance is in his final year of graduate school and I am a teacher. We're living 5 hours away from each other right now. We decided that it didn't really make sense to get married before the end of this school year, so June was the first available month. We are getting married in his home state. Our officiant was available June 15 or 28. I was concerned about having enough time to finish up the school year in case we had any snow days adding on to the end of the year, as well as having time to pack up my apartment and classroom.

I'm pretty happy that we picked the 28, as we just had our 12th snow day yesterday and are looking at not finishing the school year until like June 5th...which means even later than that with end-of-the-year faculty meetings.
  • Options
    amakayeb said:

I'm pretty happy that we picked the 28, as we just had our 12th snow day yesterday and are looking at not finishing the school year until like June 5th...which means even later than that with end-of-the-year faculty meetings.

Looks like we will be getting married on the same day!
  • Options
    The venue had a certain range of dates open, so we picked one that wasn't a holiday. That's pretty much it.
  • Options
    We wanted spring or summer of '14.  Unfortunately, FI's older brother chose July 3, 2014 and they apparently think (and so does FI's family) that it means they own the entire summer and also heaven forbid we try to be married before them! -_-  
    We changed our date 3 times for them and eventually the fourth date was set.  We chose August 9th (but not without receiving a 4am phone call demanding we change it or FI's future SIL was going to call off her wedding-we didn't.), so it's still summer I guess.  Two of my BMs are still in college so it worked with their schedules.  Also my best friend is getting married in September so ours is right in the middle of the other two weddings.  Also I realized, we were born in '89 so August 9th makes 8-9.  
    There is no "meaning" to our date other than it just worked out.  Had to deal with a lot of shit to get a date, so we're glad we have one at all.  

• Options
    PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Our decisions were weather and time related (engagement time). I knew I wanted a year to plan at least so we needed a date passed June 2014. That leaves July and August which is incredibly humid and hot around here so we decided to skip those months (although our dating anniversary is 8/6).

September seemed like the best time weather wise so we settled on the earliest Saturday that didn't coincide with labor day weekend. Our venue had that time open for us which made things wonderful. We are getting married on 9/6/2014.
  • Options
    We're 13th February 2015. Day before valentines, and Friday the 13th .
    We loved the friday the 13th date and when the venue said they'd give us a 20% discount for the date we were double-y sold
  • Options
    My fiance booked the chapel before he proposed!  When he proposed and I said yes, he told me he had a second surprise for me... that he had already booked the chapel for October 11th so we already had a date (if I was okay with it).  I would have been stressing out about picking a date, and it was so awesome to not have to worry about it because it was already done.
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    We picked August 15 cause mid-August is when the garden at my uncle's farm (our venue) is at it's peak.
    We are also Aug 15, 2014. We tried getting 8/8, because we started dating on the 8th , but the venue wasn't available. The 15th falls the day before my birthday.

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • Options
    We chose May because FI hates the cold. And we had originally planned for the 19th way back when we fist started planning (although a death in the family ended up postponing the wedding then). And this time around in planning it ended up being the best date still! We needed a Monday so OOT friends and family who won't fly could have time to drive down over the weekend. The 19th ended up being the perfect date to avoid holidays and graduations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards