Wedding Reception Forum

Is it tacky to have multiple celebrations?

My FI and I are in our 20's and are planning our wedding on a pretty tight budget. We also both happen to be fairly extroverted and have many people on our 'need-to-come' list, which is now well over 100. However, because many of our friends are younger and may not be able to afford the travel, they might not be able to come to the ceremony anyways.

Would it be tacky to have one celebration in our college town, one at the camp where we met each other and many of our friends, than a more intimate ceremony and reception with only family and close friends?

Thanks, knotties!

Re: Is it tacky to have multiple celebrations?

• It would be tacky to have more than one ceremony, but you can have multiple celebrations, as long as only the one that actually follows the ceremony is called a "wedding reception" and everyone invited to the actual ceremony is invited to that particular celebration.  Any other celebration should just be called a celebration, with no reenactments of your ceremony.
  • I think that is overkill.  Also I don't know how planning three parties where you have to host everyone is going to be doable on your tight budget.

Have your wedding.  Invite who you want and can afford.  If they can make it, great.  If they can't, oh well.

Then next year have an anniversary party if you want.

• People not being able to make it to your wedding is just  part of life. If you have 3 parties, you have to invite all the guests to all 3. It has disaster potential. I think you have one and invite everyone to it. If there is a large group that can't make it (for instance, you grew up in CA and are having the wedding there, but you live in MA and have 50 friends in MA who decline the invite, it might be fun to host an afterparty in MA) But you have to invite all of the people that you invite to a wedding celebration so if you are worried about cost it doesn't make sense.

• I'm with @AddieL73. I don't think it's "tacky," exactly. I just don't understand why you can't invite everyone to one event. If they're not able to come, then you can just visit them another time, but you don't have to continue celebrating your wedding.
  • I was thinking going out to dinner with camp friends in May, having the ceremony/reception in southern California in October, then celebrating with our friends in our college town (since we'll be moving back there) after our wedding.
  • I also don't get the reception tour thing.  I even got married out of town, but it never occurred to me have an organized celebration when we got back home a few weeks later.    When we got back home we ran into friends and did some celebratory shots at the bar.  Even though we didn't make it about us it didn't stop people from celebrating when they saw us for the first time since getting married.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • PepperallyPepperally member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014

Going out with your camp friends in May who won't make it to the wedding in October is basically like an engagement celebration rather than part of your wedding itself.  The one after you move back to your college town just sounds like a congratulatory dinner, not part of your wedding, either.  So you are having one reception, not three, therefore it's not really tacky. 

But you do have to decide if you are planning on paying for all of these things if you are on a tight budget...I wouldn't do anything other than maybe meeting up for drinks to celebrate pre- and post-wedding.

• Thanks for all of your input.

Yeah, reading it like that it really doesn't feel tacky. We're not asking or expecting any gifts and get-togethers don't have to be fancy or expensive, we just want to celebrate the people we love. 

Also, to allow more people to come and to make the reception cheaper in general, we're thinking about holding everything earlier and having just light appetizers and desserts. 
  • Yeah, it doesn't seem tacky but it does seem like it could be a lot of added stress. What if you have your main wedding reception, then maybe go out to dinner or do something ultra casual as your "yay, we got married! we're so excited and want to hang out with you!" dinner/celebration in your college town, place where you met, etc.?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• That was the plan! =) I just wasn't sure if that would be tacky.
  • That was the plan! =) I just wasn't sure if that would be tacky.
  • I just don't understand how you are expecting to make this cheaper. Are you paying for everyone's dinner and drinks at your camp party in May? Are you hosting everyone properly (paying for all food and drinks) at your celebration in your college town?

If you host 3 events, you have to pay for everyone. It is very rude to throw a "get together" in honour of yourself and expect people to pay for themselves. 

Also, if these are wedding celebrations, everyone needs to be invited to the wedding as well. I would be very hurt if I was only invited to a "b-list" party of a friends wedding that I wasn't even invited to. I get that you want to celebrate with all of your friends, but also think about it from their perspective. 
  • Thanks for all of your input, everyone. We opted to go the light appetizers and desserts route for our reception and are doing everything between lunch and dinner to avoid mealtimes. This allows us to have all of our friends there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards