May 2014 Weddings
Options

Need some advice!!

Okay so due to unknown issues that have come to the surface since we lost our caterer, we are having some real problems finding someone who can work within our budget (which has also suddenly shrunk). So we're considering all sorts of other ideas! The biggest recommendation is to do a dessert reception. I am slightly opposed to this idea because it would mean pushing our start time back to like 7pm and there is another group doing a dinner at the venue the same day as us and limited parking.. and pushing it back sounds like a huge awful mess.. I have put out the idea to do a sort of tapas reception with just offering appetizers and then our cake of course.. but would we need to do a later time with that as well? sigh wedding planning is such a nightmare sometimes. Anyway, would love to hear your opinions ladies! and maybe any other suggestions? 

Re: Need some advice!!

• Options
    I'm not sure when your ceremony is supposed to start, but... Can you do an early afternoon reception with brunch-style finger foods and desserts? You could do little finger sandwiches and fruit and pastries, and then some specialty desserts and cake.

• Options
    You could do finger foods, cheese plates, fruit plates, you know horderves
  • Options
    I like everyone's ideas of the finger foods, passed hors d'oeuvres, etc... Think of it like an extended cocktail hour! Your guests can graze as they like and you can use your music selection to keep the atmosphere light and fun. If you haven't ordered invitations yet, I would recommend making some sort of note on the invitation regarding the type of food available at the reception, so your guests know to eat a more substantial meal earlier in the day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would definitely note it on the reception insert if you plan on doing this. I would make sure to have a lot of apps though because people will be hungry and if they know they aren't getting dinner they will probably eat way more than you think.
  • Options
    We get access to the venue at 11am so we can't start setting up until then. As of right now, we're planning on doing our ceremony at 4pm with the reception immediately following. We may end up going with a lower end caterer to just do a dinner and suck it up. Despite my mother's complaints. It just seems like any way we look at it, there isn't really any other great option. And a 5pm reception would have to include a meal of some sort. weddings are crazy expensive!
  • Options
    @akopitzke Food is definitely what we have spent the most on, BY FAR! The food was more expensive than booking our venue for the entire day! I really hope everything works out for you. Just remember that you can't make everyone happy, even your mother. You have to do what you feel is best and as long as the two of you are married at the end of it all, the day was a success :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @klburke88 :) I really appreciate the encouragement! 

The good news is that a caterer we met with before the holidays who originally gave us a quote that was a little too high is looking to see if she can come up with a simpler menu that works with our smaller budget! fingers crossed that it works out - because I don't know where the extra money will come from if it doesn't!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards