Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Name Change

I'm needing to change my name and was wondering if anyone know were to start. Thanks

Re: Name Change

• @lindseyhenry2

Here are some links that might help you. The 2nd one is for something you can buy that basically walks you through each step. A lot of bridal stores sell / advertise it and I know a couple people who used it.

• You don't need any kits or crap to buy. That is absurd b/c only YOU can actually DO the things you need to do to change your name. 

1. Go to the SS office with your marriage license and get a new SS card. 
    2. Go to the DMV and get a new license. 
    3. Contact your bank, credit cards, insurance agent, utility places (if your name is used for those), etc.

That's really all there is to it. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieL73 said:
    You don't need any kits or crap to buy. That is absurd b/c only YOU can actually DO the things you need to do to change your name. 

3. Contact your bank, credit cards, insurance agent, utility places (if your name is used for those), etc.

This.  Don't buy any kits.  They are a waste of money and you do not need them.

In addition to Addie's list, don't forget to tell your work that you are changing your name as well.

• I would suggest getting a few extra copies of your marriage certificate. Banks, Credit card companies, etc all need certified copies and some are really good about sending them back and othes arent.

FWIW, changing my frequent flyer miles was the most difficult.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

I would suggest getting a few extra copies of your marriage certificate. Banks, Credit card companies, etc all need certified copies and some are really good about sending them back and othes arent.

FWIW, changing my frequent flyer miles was the most difficult.

LOL-- me too! I had to start a whole new account and am still working on getting the other points transferred. So weird!  Other than that, name change was easy--SS and DMV was done in the same day. everything else made me wait until I had the new ID. Once I had that, it was quick and painless.

Anniversary
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2014
    Changing your name is not too difficult.  You start by going to the Social Security office at the DMV.  After that, just go to all the places where you need your name changed.  I would disagree with @KATwag and say you really don't need extra copies of your marriage license.  For me, it was maybe easier than for some.  I went to my college in person and my bank in person.  H and I don't have credit cards, just debit cards from our bank, so we didn't have to send anything in to them.  The only time I had to send the certificate in was to get my passport changed.  I really should have gotten another one, just so we wouldn't be without one, but I had a photocopy and never got around to getting another one.

I would avoid buying any more copies than you absolutely need just because it adds up.  In my state, it's $30 for the first copy you buy, and $25 for each additional one after that ordered at the same time. (So if you order a couple, and then decide you need another one a few days later, it's $30 for the third one.) 
  • I think I really depends on where you love but I didn't need additional copies of my license either. Every place that needed a copy just made a photocopy and then gave me back my original.

• AddieL73 said:
    You don't need any kits or crap to buy. That is absurd b/c only YOU can actually DO the things you need to do to change your name. 

This.  Don't buy any kits.  They are a waste of money and you do not need them.

In addition to Addie's list, don't forget to tell your work that you are changing your name as well.

I think I really depends on where you love but I didn't need additional copies of my license either. Every place that needed a copy just made a photocopy and then gave me back my original.
    I also didn't need any extra copies, just the SS office needed to see it and it has been filed away since!

Above are all the biggies and then other things will randomly pop up and you'll be like "oh yea!". So I have been married 5 months and I recently (finally) changed over, all my health insurance information and Doctor/prescription info - I forgot about this until my prescription ran out! I *THINK* the last thing I have left is my passport.. but like I said little things keep popping up!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards